DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hm, I have a set of Riky Cross Mr. Hessler improved in my shed.
    If you want me to do some pictures or measurements, leave me a note.

Now I have some RDMOTO from Czech republic, these are 25mm tubes instead of 22 or so and differ in mounting.

Cheers,
    Lars
  2. treborbig

treborbig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi gentlemen bought a dr 750 while ago and now starting on a resto .Photos we will see:huh .Didnt seem to bad except for some issues :D So carbs siezed up, easier to buy some as pretty generic.Do have to buy 4 tho so if anyone needs some let me know .Wiring is toast ,missing fuse box,probably why wiring melted:wink: and starter regulator .Assuming these are generic as well ,rather than pay cmsl prices, tho a good website.Will get wiring loom from there.Do we think easier to replace most electrical stuff eg.rectifier, coils or do they survive ?Also frame has rust on bottom rail; running up to foot peg mount got the tig out so should be fixable. Tins all good, beak,dash lights, there .Thanks guys :ear
  3. jimbobthebear

jimbobthebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning All

Wondered if anybody had seen this. I've emailed them for details and the price is around 18K Euros. a bit out of my league. So.... one of you lovely chaps needs to buy it :eek:)

http://www.classic-motorbikes.com/Suzuki_DRZ+800.htm

I have a PDF with all the spares included, it's ridiculous. I want it
  4. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    I don"t think you can buy a new loom anymore ,CDI is over £300
  5. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link, Jimbob.

I at least got a lot of great photos from the ad, which is all I'll ever get.

Those forks look suspiciously like a Honda part....at least the front wheel does - odd.

It would appear that there is lots of money sitting in that warehouse, the DRZ is a mere pittance.
  6. jimbobthebear

jimbobthebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly same. Emailed for price.... Sulked for a while.... Right click, save image!

I noticed the way the spindle clamps and did wonder what the forks were. Interesting

Have you seen how small dia the front pipe is?! Presumably it's a different cam and its to increase scavenge?
  7. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    I've already seen that ad some time ago. Very nice bike, but due to lack of money I have to stand back for the luckier ones. On the other hand, I don't have to have everything ... but, nice it would be ...
    Stefan has been involved in it's restoration, at least by giving advice. Don't know, if he helped with parts and work, too.
    Just noticed that I first saw the ad in mid-septembre. There is (and has been) a lot more Paris-Dakar hard-ware in this place!!!
    Kind regards, Bambi
    PS: don't forget about the Big-calender 2013, 27. of novembre comes soon!
  8. jimbobthebear

jimbobthebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do we get hold of the Calender?
  9. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:

Awesome :O

Wait till Stefan Hessler sees that :lol3

Might be a cent or two too expensive, though.
  10. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Jimbob,
    go back one page and look out for my avatar on that page. Seventh and ninth comment, counting from above ...
    Kind regards, Bambi
  11. treborbig

treborbig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey how is ireland ,lot of you guys over here in aus Loom dosent seem to be a problem, more wondering about other components and they may be fine anyway:D:DMight even try local suzuiki dealer.Best place to get a new piston\ rings anyone?.Wondering if 780 kit or 820 kit for dr 650 from procycle in US would work ? Where would i get a manual from tried the PDF one; no luck.Thanks Guys have a good weekend:freaky
  12. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Treb the 650 gudgon pin is a few mm smaller than the BIG.
  13. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember an inmate... 108mm piston with a copper head gasket... :evil

Cheers,
    Lars
  14. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any news on that project?

15. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I allso remember that bloke :evil. my 2 are still in the cupboard as I havn,t got to bore any of my bikes out yet .,
    Hey Lars did you get yours going.
  16. jimbobthebear

jimbobthebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

Thought i'd share a few pics from yesterday at the NEC. only phone pics so apologies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best Bike of the show.... obviously ;o)

[​IMG]

My pal Matt on a gorgeous Guzzi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty shiny blue DR Big there, jimbobthebear.

Winter is coming here in the north, so I decided to do a final ride of the season 2012. A good friend came by on his XChallenge. Pretty impressive bike I have to say- reasonable weight, enough power and has very good fuel economy. So we took the bikes for a little spin in 5 degrees Celsius autumn weather. Damn it was hot, I was sweating.

An obstacle. Previously I had ridden over it without much effort:
    [​IMG]

WP Suspension at work:
    [​IMG]

Ouch! Don't worry, it didn't hurt so much and I already have one wonderful daughter. Obviously the speed was too low and I didn't lift the front end at all:
    [​IMG]

Much faster approaching speed led to better results:
    [​IMG]

It was his first try to cross the railroad and he made it :clap:
    [​IMG]

Baltic Sea and Port of Paldiski in the background. There used to be a Soviet Submarine Base couple of decades ago:
    [​IMG]

Later that day I managed to crash. Was riding between the tracks on second gear standing on the pegs. The rear wheel started to slide out to the right. Nothing special, has happened many times before. I managed to ride on sideways for 20meters trying to save it. Finally went down. Bent bars and broken indicator:
    [​IMG]

New hairstyle:
    [​IMG]

Now I can put the bike in the garage for winter and start some mods and repairs again. The 45mm header pipe from Resi is already here, some parts from Stefan are on the way. Hopefully next season will see DR with new exhaust system and engine that does not need 1 litre oil per 500kms.
    Kovac77 likes this.
  18. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Railway tracks are one of the most difficult things for me to go over. They are just spaced completely wrong. Getting the front over the first one is no problem but then the rear hits the first one just a split-second before you're trying the lift the front for the second. This transfers weight down onto the front almost exactly when it's trying to come up.

You also can not hit them at any angle to change the "spacing" between the rails since they are too slippery and your tire will slide rather than climb....this is much worse in wet or muddy conditions.

So...it looks like you did just fine as long as you didn't bend a rim.
  19. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly so it is, Ladder. Railway tracks are my nightmare, too. The rim survived.

My initial plan was to approach at steady speed standing on the pegs. It didn't work because the engine stalled after front wheel went over the first rail.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYgLDd7F4s&feature=plcp
    Then I tried to start again from where I stalled, front between the rails. A few months ago in dry conditions I got over like this without problems at the same place. After 2 or 3 tries I fell down because the sleepers are damn slippery when wet. Then i gave up and we just pushed the bike over. Not easy for even two men.

BMW guy did it right, his front wheel lifted from the first rail and landed on the second one. The landing wasn't stable but it was his first try and not bad at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBiIslVNVUE&feature=plcp

My score with riding over railway tracks is 1:4 now (one lucky crossing riding over and 4 failures when I needed to push, pull or drag the bike over :evil ). Its gonna be a life long battle I'm afraid. Need to work with the technique to lift the front in order to save the front rim.
  20. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello there,
    it's definitely the last chance to order a 2013 Big-calender! The order-book will be closed tonight and there's really only a single guy here who wants one?
    Kind regards, Bambi ... not making money out of it!!! I'll only charge you the real costs.