KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. LordMDP

LordMDP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys

my lower dash lights on my 08' are dim and my high beam indicator light doesn't work most the time

any ideas what could cause this?
  2. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not unlike automobile learners permits. Hereabouts, a learner's permit allows a rider without a motorcycle endorsement to ride legally on public roadways (solo only), accompanied by an endorsed adult rider, prior to completing a skills test (which may be taken not sooner than 30 days (If under age 19, you must hold a Virginia motorcycle learner's permit for at least nine months) after the learners permit is granted).

A written test is required for a learners permit; a skills test for the motorcycle endorsement.

Alternative: Approved (e.g., Motorcycle Safety Foundation) riding course succesful completion; Department of Motor Vehicles written and skills tests are waived; endorsement issued if applied for within 30 days of course completion.
  3. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just to follow up. I was bleeding it through the bleeder valve. Everything was fine. No bubbles coming out. Then we loosened the banjo bolt on the master cyl. Four full pumps of air. Then a little fluid started to come out. Tightened it back up. Restarted the process of bleeding through the bleeder valve on the caliper. Once that was solid flow of fluid, we tightened it. No leaks anywhere. Still not enough pressure to stop the bike.

Been working late this week. Hope to take another run at it over the weekend. I will hopefully have some progress to post.

Thanks again for all the support
  4. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    Good idea. I have enlisted some help already. If we don't make any good progress I may go this route.

Thanks again!
  5. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll say it again...power bleed from the caliper up. Harbor freight carries a $4 high pressure oil can. Fill with brake fluid and attach to caliper bleeder then pump fluid. I've since upgraded with a one way valve in the line between the HP pump and caliper nipple. AKA Speed bleeder. This setup has NEVER failed me even helped others who were experienced and couldn't get full pressure on their systems. Common with radial design on modern bikes.

HP oil pump link

[​IMG]
  6. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
    You can't loosen the banjos during the bleeding process. You have to tighten the banjos correctly and LEAVE them alone. I was really struggling with bleeding mine after installing a SS line. I could not build pressure and get fluid to the caliper. I am a cheap bastard and did not want to buy one of the cool ass vacuum tools so I started looking around the garage. I took a spray nozzle from a bottle of window cleaner and slid it into a piece of tubing that fit over the bleeder and opened it (the bleeder) up and started pumping. It pulled the fluid right down from the reservoir. You have to make sure that you don't pull air into the reservoir by pulling all of the fluid out. After getting most of the air out this way, I went back to the pull the lever hold it and open bleeder and tighten until no more air bubbles came out. You are leaving the cover off the reservoir and adding fluid as it flows towards the caliper right, making sure that the fluid level does not get so low as to suck air into the system again?
  7. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    I don't know about other states but here in Cali we cannot ride at night, ride with a passenger, or ride on the highways without a licensed motorcyclist as a chaperone.

Essentially, you need one before you can operate a motorcycle, and before you can obtain your M1 license. Since I am not 21 yet, I have to wait 6 months in order to get my M1, which is unrestricted when it comes to 2 wheeled shenanigans :ear
  8. Old Kiwi#99

Old Kiwi#99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving the system pressurised (ie strapping the lever back to the bar) is is not really a good idea. Any air in the system gets dissolved into the brake fluid. Once the pressure is released, after a while the air will seperate out (much like a scuba diver getting the bends) - in either case the result is somewhere between unpleasant and fatal.
  9. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's how air is getting into the system.

I got the cheaper, non-mightyvac brake bleeder pump at Harbor Freight for about $20 with a coupon a few months back. I changed my rear break line to a stainless, and using the pump made it a BREEZE. Wish I would have gotten one years ago when I was wrenching on cars constantly.
  10. r.h.stinson

r.h.stinson n00b

Oddometer:
    For the numerous brake lines I have changed over the years , I have always used a power bleeder and it saves so much time and frustration,.. and for the price is worth more time riding than fixing.
  11. mxboy96

mxboy96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I left my 01 up in the adirondacks this winter.....in hopes of doing a Labrador trip in the spring.
    [​IMG]

I thought i would be able to get through the winter in s Florida without a bike...but that was optimistic.

last night right before going to bed i took a glance at Craigslist.....

and it came to pass that at 2 am this arrived at my door...

[​IMG]

and after a quick inspection and test ride i was back in the southern thumper club. as a bonus i got her for a steal.
    :)
  13. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    So you stole a KLR at 2 am? :huh
  14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Good on ya mate, but...how on earth is this bike not falling over??
  15. astrolump

Oddometer:
    i was smuggling helium in the top case.
  16. astrolump

Oddometer:
    nope...stole a stale doughnut....traded it for the klr.
    i miss the doughnut.
  17. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    How big is the stock tank? I was only able to fit in about 4 gallons from reserve, and it was pretty full.
  18. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:

Just a hair over 4.5 gallons IIRC

the holy grail of KLR's

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
  19. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    Seems like most claim it to be 5.5 gallons or so.. Unless it has a big reserve capacity..
  20. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief

My findings having run 2 different stock tanks, is that total capacity is 23 litres, 22 of that being useable. 23 litres converts to 6.075 US Gallons. ...your mileage may vary :wink: