Chase your Dream: The Naperville Scooter Store

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by KennyT, Oct 20, 2012.

1. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I think your idea is good, BUT (isn't there always a BUT?) I think the buildings are too big with parking lots too small. I would suggest starting small and working your way up to the bigger size. All you need is a little store front with a rollup door in the back for a service entrance. The other thing you need is a BIG parking lot. People like to practice riding. They do that right away. If you have a little parking lot, people won't get practice and then they enter the road and tip over (seen it plenty of times in shops with small lots, usually opening to a major road). Not a good first time experience.

Another thing that comes to mind is why buy the building? Lease a business space and see how it goes. This leaves more capital for your actual business, which is selling and servicing scooters. The buildings you are looking at have been down for years. They will take full commitment to get up and running and then if you need to sell and move you are stuck with a building.

Talk to a tax pro as well because leasing may actually give you some different tax advantages.
  2. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should have a little cafe in there to draw a crowd. Not too fancy, coffee and such. Gives scooterist a reason to hang out and invite friends for coffee and show them scoots. Maybe the coffee goers will get interested in scooters too. When the weather gets bad, the coffee house will still draw a crowd and provide income during the winter months. In SoCal, they have a car show called Coffee and Cars once a month, what better combination?:D
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    The parking lot is a pretty good size and you can ride around the backside of the building. Coffee is a good idea but there is a Burger King next door.

The down side of a lease is that you may get locked in for longer than the business survives. However, ownership, in the same case, may be worse.
  4. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warney,
    Oh, I though your were talking about creating a new business not just investing in the stock market. I assumed you would mention something original. My bad.:huh
  5. vtwin

Oddometer:

I'm thinking a little higher end coffee. Maybe even provide wi-fi so some students can hang out and get scooters on their minds. Clear out the brush so there's a nice view of the river. Some picnic tables out that way as well so once in awhile they could host a b-b-q. Could be named "Scooter Cafe" Host rides and club meetings. Tech days for new owners. Scooter ride event every 4th sunday like they have in Orange County, CA they call it Super Sunday, tons of people with mostly Ruckus have rides.
  6. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I wonder how far the closest Starbucks is. It's Naperville, it can't be too far.

Edit: looks to be about three blocks north and a block west. High end coffee could survive there, IMO.
  7. KennyT

KennyT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bronco,vtwin, barnone,scoottour, Jerry,and silk. First of all, thanks to everyone for stopping in!
    I like the name Scooter Cafe. I would chill out there all day (should we give refills?:)), just looking at the bikes.
    silk, you must have read my mind! I just wrote a follow up to this post titled My Dream is becoming a reality: the Naperville Scooter store. I will post it here tomorrow. Takes awhile to translate all the links and pictures. I have been looking into leasing, starting with a smaller space, narrowing brands, and putting some other ideas out there...
    Jerry,I will need a good mechanic...
    Thanks again!, and look for my post tomorrow!
    Ken
  8. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ken - I am glad you are still chasing the dream. Sometimes folks "sober up" once the details start to get heavy.
    BTW - my first scooter, a Taotao Sicily shows up on Monday. Would have been nice to have a local scoot shop, but it is all HD near me.
  9. marusin

marusin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey KennyT, I've been scooting for years and live in Naperville. Started on a Honda Spree as a youngster and since then have had Vespas (vintage), a Genuine Stella and now am on a Honda Ruckus. I actually live VERY close to the property you're looking at! Super cool idea and excited to see what you come up with. Lets go ride sometime before it gets TOO cold... :D
  10. KennyT

KennyT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Silk money and Marusin. Thanks! Thanks for becoming a fan, Marusin!
    Today was the first day in two weeks I didn't ride, and the weather was beautiful! Spent it with my girls out in Marengo. Three is a crowd on my Kymco 125!
    Anyway, excited to get back on tomorrow. Man, I am always available. I would meet you tomorrow for coffee, and we could shoot the breeze. Love talking scooters, business, and life. Again, if not tomorrow, I am always available! Message me on the page (or any other way you like).
    Silk money, I hope I never sober up. I expect to chase this dream all the way!
    Thanks again!
    Ken
    p.s. I have made several more decisions on my business. You can find them on other posts and my FB page. Follow along. Should be fun!
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a Starbucks about 1/4 mile from my house, and I often find myself going there, getting a cup of their outrageously priced beverage, and just sitting at an outside table looking at my customized Stella. Never done that with motorcycles, but the olive green Stella, with a brown seat, wide whitewalls, and various international badges on it is just plain fun to look at. Yes it even has an ADV sticker on it.
  12. vtwin

Oddometer:

Hope your dream comes true. Rootin' for you.
  13. KennyT

KennyT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Vtwin and Jerry. Thanks!
    Vtwin, it is ovine faster than I could have imagined, leaving me less time to build financing. Better too fast than too slow, I guess...
    Kerr, yes Starbucks is pricey, but you are paying for the scene too! I bet your Bike gets a lot of looks
    Thanks again Guys!
    Ken