Tiffany's Trail to Tibet

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tiffany, May 13, 2011.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer:
    Or should that be trial? I'm doing something very different with this current trip as I'm now a working girl (hmmm, maybe I should re-phrase that:hmmmmm)

GlobeBusters have taken me on to help lead one of their groups and I've got the Tibet trip:clap
    They're supplied me with a 1200GS, a GPS that I had no idea how to even switch on and instructions to set off from London with a bunch of riders.

[​IMG]

I set off with a bike that was still quite clean and relatively intact.
    The group includes, Aussies, Yanks, a Swede, a Swiss and several Brits so a good multi-national mix and also three other women.
  2. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Lucky girl!!!

I'll be watching this one.

Have fun.
  3. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Rdy2Trvl

Rdy2Trvl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a lucky opportunity!
    Loved your "You Tube" video, on your website. It reminds me of "Traveling Man" by Lemon Jelly.
    You are living our dream! Enjoy and be safe in your continuing travels.
  5. CalgaryKLR

CalgaryKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My LORD, what a dream.

I would think that 99% of the people on here would enjoy that job.

All the best, travel safe.
  6. lukeman

lukeman Cool Hand

Oddometer:
    Thelma must be terribly jealous! And a GPS now? Welcome to the 21st century of motorcycle travel :rofl

It has to be quite a different experience on that beast of a motorcycle. Best of luck, sounds like a sweet trip!
  7. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Hi Tiffany. Have a great trip.
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    looking forward to your next adventure :thumb

:lurk
  9. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    Wow!! This is going to be good!! Safe Travels Tiffany.
  10. NickiGS

NickiGS 09 F650

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!!! And getting paid for it too :D
  11. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Hey Luke
    good to hear from you.
    Thelma (my R80GS for the rest of you) is actually happily standing in the sunshine of Mexico where I left her six months ago. I'm hoping to head back and pick her up later this year.
    As for the GPS, well I did the classic thing of grabbing someone's son to show me how to use it just before I left London. Naturally I've got my compass and maps with me anyway:evil Me and modern technology don't always mix.
  12. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know I'm extremely lucky to get this job- it's a dream come true, especially with such a fantastic destination as Tibet.:D
    Our route is taking us from London, through France, Begium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Iran (with Yanks alongside!), Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, China and Tibet to Everest, then back up into China to Beijing where we fly home from.

As this is a working trip, I don't get as much time to blog as I usually would, and obviously my priority has to be the GlobeBusters.com blog (look for tales from the road section for words and pics) and also my own website, not to mention the reassuring emails home to parents and long-suffering boyfriend.
    I'll do my best to keep you all posted and thanks very much for the good luck messages.
  13. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    There are people who would give their right arm for that job.

Stupid, they couldn't use the throttle then:D

I've followed some of your other travels, hope that this is as much fun for you. Good health, good luck, good riding.
  14. milk budda

milk budda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jealous Jealous Jealous...........
    Enjoy and travel well.
  15. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    As anyone who's crossed some of the above borders knows ... with a bike it's a massive paperwork hassle. My guess is Tiffany will earn her money getting ten riders and bikes through some of those countries. I hope you've got plenty of "Fixers" in place and have brushed up well on your Russian, Farsi and Chinese! :evil

Globebusters must have some serious "connections" to get Bikes into China. I thought the importing of foreign bikes was generally illegal? How does that work?

Are you allowed to discuss the cost of the Globebusters Tibet Tour here?

Good luck and safe travels! :slurp
  16. MR.HOTROD

MR.HOTROD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It´s a hard life!!! LOL ...

Looking forward to reading all about the trip and to seeing all those great photos. Safe travels to you and all on this adventure.
  17. dhfox

dhfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even more important than connections is money. Lots of it too. Many people have wanted to bring their own moto into China (or Tibet, which is a part of China) and decided against it after seeing the absolutely staggering costs and red tape associated with it. However, anything can be done in China with enough money and patience...
  18. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    It's been a whirlwind ride across Europe, though Colebatch managed to track us down in Belgium (for those who are fans of his), he and I caught up over some fine Belgian beer, reminiscing about Siberia and Mongolia, we even managed not to bicker much either, please note Cole I didn't mention your brown bike!:rofl
    The internet connection here is appalling so I can't do any pictures at the moment - hopefully manana.

The 1200 is a dream to ride, but don't worry, I would never forsake my R80, she's my baby.
    most of the group is on 1200's some on the Adventure model. In Europe my favourite day of riding was Serbia- yes that's right folks, a country better known for its war criminals than scenic routes gave us some great twisty roads through mountains and valleys. I'll definitely be heading back there for more riding at some point. However that's always the problem with travelling, you see beautiful places that you want to return to but there are also always new destinations on the horizon.
  19. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Subscribed and have a great time....!
  20. DoctorAbo

DoctorAbo friends call me Mitsulas

Oddometer:
    Hi Tiffany,
    On the first occasion I would like to read your personal comparizon of the two bikes (R800GS vs R1200 GS) on your trips.

In the meantime have fun and take care!