The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here's a bit of Little Red Piggy stock artwork for anyone that's interested:

[​IMG]
    And here's a 3" x 4" PDF suitable for printing:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16386239/lrp.pdf

If I'm infringing on something someone has already done let me know, I'll happily take it down. If you want a specific size or format I can probably provide that as well.

cory
  2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

As soon as saw your post stating they were back in stock, I ordered mine. After reading that yours came today, I went out to see if mine did but no, only my folding shift lever arrived. Oh well, that's a good days delivery.
  3. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rocket 123

Can't get Kenda 270 in the UK? How about MEFO? When they came from the old DDR they were cheap....now after reunification they are $$$$....but they wear like iron! There is also Heidenau
  4. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Manual I just received has 5 revised pages added into the pack. Pages 1-11, 3-20, 7-18, 10-5, 10-19. Some pages have a "NEW" in big bold print....others nothing. Some are minor torque value editing...another is a whole different set of pictures Basic manual is Jun 2012 printing, these revisions are Nov 2012
  5. willbeoutdoors

willbeoutdoors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can someone explain the tire situation with the crf250l. what size tires will work front and back since every different tire doesnt come in the same sizes.

and do the stock tires have tubes? if so what size tubes do you buy? i am thinking about getting some new tires but i never changed a motorcycle tire before and dont really know anything about them.
  6. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Rocket123's #3370 page 225 input he shows a pic of the tools that come with the bike in the UK. Anyone seen a part # for that wierd spark plug wrench? Nothing in the manual, Americans don't get the tool kit, and there is no part # is the service manual, and no part or $$ on the parts fiche....Rocket's pic is the first one I've seen of that plug wrench. I've got some leftover plug sockets from my XR Hondas...but nothing like that....and auto plug tools are almost always too fat to go down the hole. And is the plug a 14mm hex?

EDIT: Who has a clue what the tool just to the left of the 8/10 open end wrench does? In my leftover junk tools I have everything else..except of course the spark plug socket.
  7. kb7tgr

kb7tgr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the tool left of the 8/10 appears to be a tool I have had in bikes in the past. It is a 10 MM socket that you put a screw driver through to turn.
  8. kb7tgr

kb7tgr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the last couple of days I have started making my CRFL mine.

First thing was to remove the ugly rear fender extention and license light, then add a license plate bracket. .

then built a tail rack.

Added richoet bash guard.

Cycra pro bend hand guards.

Rox risers.

Tach.

13 tooth sprocket and spedo correction

removed clutch and side stand switches

12 volt outlet to power heated clothes and charge battery.

removed the seat strap.

slowly becoming mine.
  9. JRNASTY

JRNASTY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any photos or instruction on side stand switch removal? I'm afraid to get started and then get stuck with a bike that won't start.... Thanks in advance!:thumb
  10. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some tool Info:
    Listed in tools for a '13 CBR250R is "Wrench, Plug (16.5)" 89216-MAT-000 $9.98 Has anyone bought this and used it on their CRF?
  11. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warning. That's bad news. After speaking yesterday, i looked at one catalog (the only SA supplier i could think of that had a list online - Michelin, Pirelli...two others i can't remember) and... 120 seems quite non-standard. They were all 130, 140, and the profiles were all 90. Then if you factor in the interest in more offroad type or more onroad type, seems like it's going to be a problem - involving a compromise.
    Yes, bigger tire with an engine like this...nah, i'd rather go for a 110, if that's what's available. It might look a bit skinny - the OEM one does already - but it would probably work better. And that means the speedo, too...i can see myself buying that expensive "speedo healer" thing eventually.

What's bothering me, though, is that the front tire seems really wrong on the road - around 100km/h / 65mph, it feels really skittery. Quite unusual for me. Limited experience, but my KDX full knobbies are so stable on the road, they grip amazingly, and when they are getting near the limit, i can feel it. So i must see what i can get that is more suitable for the road.
  12. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I said "compare size" was to find out exact width and height of a real tire mounted and inflated from the tire company's website...not 120/90 or whatever....those dimensions don't mean squat....And your comment about skittery at road speed has been expressed by some magazine road testers, and they admitted the tires were slightly soft for offroad use....I'd suggest going 3 or 4 psi over the suggested pressure on the sticker on the frame...or if there is a rated pressure on the tire, go with that number and see how it feels at speed.....also...if the little tits aren't worn off the tire you can be sure that's the problem...cut them off with a razor blade and then use the front tire and brake pretty good...and I think it'll feel better

what kinda knobs did you have on the KDX?
  14. kb7tgr

kb7tgr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no intention of re installing mine so instead of pulling the sub frame

bolt I just cut the wire and removed it. I did solder it back together in case

someone ever wanted it. I also did not use a jumper wire, I cut off the upper

connector and soldered the wires together. leaving enough wire on it

to reuse it if needed. don't forget to use heat shrink. ( I prefer the stuff with

glue in it.) Easy and does away with a potential problem.
  15. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes...you think some of them actually give specs like that? I know the width varies but somehow i thought the profile/height was more realistic or consistent. Anyway, i think it'll come down to what is available locally, with whatever preference for onroad-offroad.

The "skitteriness" instability, i dunno, i haven't even checked the pressure yet, so you may well be right. (I have a helluva lot to do this weekend, with this bike.)

I don't know what is on the KDX, i'll check sometime this weekend. Still the original tyres.
    Like any full knobbies, though, i'd be scared in the rain. I'm not worried about cornering, just braking; there're always those moments when you need to brake harder than you'd prefer in the wet.
  16. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    CAT: I assume it is nice there...24F & snowing here...enjoy the weekend...I'll bet your tires are soft
  17. DesertDav

DesertDav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to get the CRF250L this or next weekend. For the Southern California purchasers, can you tell me (if you don't mind sharing) what some of your out the door prices were? I had the Honda dealer literally 2 miles from me calculate the OTD price and he told me $5917.00. I thanked him and walked out the door. I think that's why they call it an "out the door", because that's exactly where I went.
    I went to another place that's a dedicated honda dealer, and he told me ballpark 5600 or 5700. I got the feeling if I pressed him I could MAYBE get it for $5500.00.
    Question...I don't mind driving for a deal (I own an F-150), so can someone here point me in the right direction for a great deal based on what you got compared to what I said I heard from two dealers? I'd be willing to drive as far as maybe San Diego?
    I do appreciate this very much. I just think the amount you have to pay over the list price for such an inexpensive bike is sickening!
  18. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those "stealers" you talked to are greedy. :(: I know dealers in Washington, Idaho, and Utah who are selling the bike for MSRP, plus tax and title. :deal

Spud :beer
  19. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Which, if they did that in California, would be about $5300 I think... unless there's a Destination Charge that's getting added on (a legitimate one).

Rob
  20. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Egads! :eek1 What is the tax rate in California? :huh My local dealer is selling the CRF250L for $4,829, out the door.

Spud :beer