Duties on Gear ordered from biker-land_de

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by gqelements, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at a set of SiDi's from biker-land_de Ebay store and curious if anyone here has experience ordering from them and if you had full duties applied based on seller's description of the goods...

I'm in Canada, but US experiences would be relevant too...

Thanks in advance.
  2. theboxers

theboxers Getting Out There

Oddometer:
  3. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    None, shipped to the US.
  4. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    No duty paid on riding gear, shipped to the US. biker-land.de has their German shipper clear customs in Germany, and then hand off to the USPS (US domestic postal service). My understanding of how biker-land label product is as protective gear, and there is no duty (for the US).

When I ordered with a different German company, the package was handed off to UPS (big brown), who contacted ME to ask what was in the package and assessed an over $100 duty on riding gear. You do NOT want the package to be delivered in-country by UPS.

I cannot sing the praises of biker-land and Isabella enough. She and Mario just GET customer service.
  5. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say you don't want any packages delivered by UPS at all!

This company doesn't deserve our money, even for domestic delivery...there are too many horror stories (I can add mines) about this company.
  6. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ordered from Biker-land to Canada. Great folks to deal with. Canadian customs dinged my with duties and taxes :cry
  7. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Although I rarely agree with Lilolita, she is dead right on this.. avoid UPS at all costs.. biker-land has it all figured out.. no duty on my Sidi Goretex Adventures I bought from them.
  8. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Helmet, jacket and boots all from Biker Land de in three separate purchases over two years. No duty in USA. DHL delivered. UPS=the evil empire now?

Several years ago I did get a package from Germany using UPS and did pay $78 duty, too tired to fight it. Had to hand the UPS guy a check at the door. Even the driver was embarrassed.
  9. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I've ordered jackets, pants, and a helmet from vendors like Biker-Land and FC-Moto and have always had good experiences and never any taxes or duties due (products shipped to the US via DHL/USPS).
  10. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    I've had great customer service from Bikerland-de, but once I upgraded the shipping and got whacked with a runaround by customs/UPS and cost a bundle. pain in the ass. Now Revzilla handles Rukka and anything you could source on this continent I think you would be better off handling it here. ease of returns, warranty, sizing, etc.

the shipping issue had nothing to with Bikerland-de...
  11. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to ask for DHL (which gets handed over to the post office for local delivery). I have bought three jackets and a helmet from Biker Land and never had to pay any custom's fees. This was in the US, don't know about Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything that gets delivered to the buyer via USPS is automatially duty free, regardless of the country of origin. Same goes for Canada Post.
  13. ag40

ag40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never ordered from Biker-land, but ordered from FC Moto 3 or 4 time , they shipped with DHL/Canada post to my UPS mailbox address, never paid any duty fee just %13 tax plus some thing like $10 handling fee.
  14. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's not that simple.
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    All items are duty free from Germany. Your only concern is the country you live in. If you ship something to a German, it goes to the Customs office. They call the individual to come pay VAT, 19%, on the value of the item, and they can then take it home. VAT is 19-24% across Europe from a stick of gum to an Automobile.
  16. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    I am from Calgary and ordered a pair of boots from this company about 3 weeks ago. They are suppose to be here within the next two days. I am expecting a phone call from Customs Canada telling me that I will need to pay the 17% duty on "sporting goods" and the 5% GST. Will let you all know the outcome when they arrive. No duty or GST would just be an added bonus to the excellent price I paid for the Sidi Adventures that I ordered.
  17. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    The Canada postman showed up on my doorstep this afternoon with my boots in hand. In his other hand he presented me with an import duty bill in the total amount of $63.47. The bill was broken down with an 18% duty tax on SHOES but they only placed a value of $223.97 on the "shoes" which worked out to $40.31 plus they added a 5% Goods and Services Tax on the total of those two values which came to $13.21 and then they added $9.95 for Handling Fees. So in this case, in CANADA, you will have to pay duty but the value they calculate the charge on will be substantially less than what was actually paid for the boots. I have no idea how Customs came up with the value of $223.97 but I am not complaining. Still paid a couple of hundred less than what I would have had to pay locally, even after paying these taxes.
    One other note, they said it would take 11 days to deliver them from Germany when I bought them. It actually took 22 days to deliver. Hope this helps a few other Canucks out there that are thinking of buying internationally.
  18. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received my boots in a 10 days, but got slapped with $130 in duties (Ontario, Canada)

Sent from Windows Phone, using Tapatalk.
  19. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    USA

It's been a few years, but all the gear I've ordered from them took about a week to arrive. No duties or other taxes were charged, as the US classifies these items as "Safety Equipment" under Schedule B, and not "Clothing". The US does not charge tariffs on safety equipment.

ed:sp
  20. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    What value did they place on the boots??