XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. seantx

seantx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as he is cool with FI, water cooling, dropping 50 lbs, modern suspension, 50+ HP, all-day ergos, styling from this decade and a price tag under $6K I would agree. :D
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    WOW that sounds just like the XRR :D
  3. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

did you see the pics of my bike after the winter project? After our email convo and deciding on the crf shrouds instead of the 97 cr shrouds you went with...it turned out pretty good.
  4. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does sound like the XRr... However, a few of the things I like ARE the air cooling, carburetor, big seat, and with the CRF forks and Ohlins, I am pretty satisfied with the ergos, comfort and reliability. Dropping 50 lbs, a 6th gear and a beefed up subframe would make me happy.
  5. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    What is going on with the XRR? does anyone know if they are going to be bringing it back??

Cumbacheech
  6. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    No idea.

I've said it many times before....why the heck didn't Honda put the magic button on the XRR, de-tune the motor a tad and call it their new DS bike :dunno

As much as I love my XRL....I'd buy one of those.
  7. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    I know... I would be on that like a Fat kid on a Twinky!!
  8. McLeod

McLeod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XR650R is dead, the last year for production was 07.
    The 450x is the new desert racer for Honda.
    Honda closed the plant here in the US that the XRR was being built in.

I am torn between staying oil cooled and the simplicity that goes with it, Or water cooled and the weight loss that goes with it.

A water cooled engine can be built to tighter tolerances, and tighter timing so it can produce higher horse power. Don't increase the compression, The L can run on horrible gas that is a benefit.

6 speed transmission Would be a huge gain.

At least change second gear back to the second the NX used. Get rid of the huge gear jump between first and second.

Suspension update would be nice. Keep the ground clearance.

Change the frame so the foot pegs can be lowered or raised for the height of a person.

Fuel injection would be a bonus, but the thing about a carb they suck but you can normally make one work even if its is badly; you can limp home.
    You loose your fuel pump. I hope you really enjoy that walk in you mx boots while pushing your bike.

Possibly move the battery in to the center of the bike.

loose 50 lbs? Awesome.

I saw a XR650R frame the other day. It got me thinking. They have the oil in the frame just like a L dose. Wonder if you could squeeze the L engine in a R frame, Ktm swing arm, crf forks, add a oil cooler where the radiators go? Hmmm..
  9. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm an airhead lover, but I really don't see a significant (meaningful) reliability decrease due to water cooling, for most people.

Personaly, I crash through the brush, push down dead trees, go through close, tight pine stands where the dead branches are stabbing the hell outta me and the bike (one broke my chest protector shoulder guard sunday), so I surmise I might puncture a radiator or rip off a hose, but short of stuff like that I think it's hard to break anything.

Dave
  10. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to develop a modular seat/tank/sideplate system where all come off together and can be swapped quickly...

Dave
  11. jscompto

jscompto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, he lives in California.
  12. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    I went to a local bolt specialty store today to get a replacement bolt for the one that fell off my exhaust. I told him I wanted the head to be either 12 or 14 mm. He said what you're describing is an automotive bolt. We only sell construction bolts. Go figure why Lowes has bolt heads that are in the odd numbers. :deal
  13. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bolt fell out? I noticed that mine was missing where it attaches to the fram near the rear brake reservoir.
  14. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    #14 in the diagram :cry

[​IMG]
  15. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    That is fairly common. I lost mine twice. Make sure when you replace it you use the correct bolt (right material) otherwise you will strip the threads...

Good luck
  16. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I find the best selection of bolts at Ace Hardware.
  17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bolt is an 8x44mm. Most 8mm fasteners you find will have a 13mm head instead of the 12mm that comes on the bike.
  18. Deltakus

Deltakus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is your cable straight and not binding? Sometimes it looks straight but where the cable goes into the housing, there is a bind. Also, I take a pair of channel locks and bend the bottom bracket to have the cable perfectly in the center of the housing. Little things that make the difference! I use one of these:http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/cable/

clean the cable with:http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/PROHONDA-CONTACTBRAKE-CLEANER-NOCHLORINE/?catalogId=110517

Then lube with:http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/p...MotoSport.com&catalogId=109679&segment=badger

Also, I extended the arm at the case by 3/8" and I have really easy, smooth action with even heavy springs... I would look at the cable binding and lube it up at least. Truly makes a difference.

Braaaap
  20. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    H TJ, Go by the Honda shop and ask for a handful of extra bolts and crate bolts. Usually they have tons of bolts from accessories that people buy and all of the fasteners aren't used. I have had a couple of boxes over the years and am ready to go look again. I like the chrome bolts... they look pimp on a dirty old XR... The crates have many, many bolts that are just set aside or thrown out.