Need a Down Bag-for honest 35 degree weather- pack small

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 5 speed, May 18, 2014.

1. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep the title is what I am looking for. All the synthetic bags pack too big. I need an honest 35 degree bag, down that packs small. I dont have much room.
    Oh, and it cant be a mummy; I need more room in the foot box, a full rectangle would be great.

Let me know your experiences what might fit the bill because so far, I have struck out. Thanks
  2. Pedro's Jupiter

Pedro's Jupiter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Feathered Friends sleeping bags in Seattle. They have two bags in the 32 degree range that are semi rectangular, made with very high quality down (the Penguin Nano 30 and the Puffin Nano 20.) They pack up real small and weigh about 2 lbs. The bags are sold direct from the maker, Feathered Friends. I just ordered one myself after a lot of research.
  3. Phineas Whipsnake

Phineas Whipsnake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a REI Radiant Long/Wide down bag. Roomy (I hate mummy bags, too) rated at 20 degrees, compresses to about the size of a cantalope.
  4. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Mystic SL bag from Big Agnes. It is a 20 degree bag that I couple with a Q-Core Pad. It handles temps down to the upper twenties easily and packs down small for a bag that fits a big boy.
  5. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a bag spec'd at 20-25 degrees,thet way you will be comfortable at 35.

Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering make great bags,are $$$,but with proper care they can be a 10 year plus bag.

Look at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger or if you are bigger,the Summit Park.
    Get the matching insulated BA pad or Exped makes similar size insulated pads.

If you get a newer bag,look for the EN rating,that will give you a much closer idea of comfort ratings.as opposed to older bags ratings,which were survival ratings.

JR356
  6. Jedl

Jedl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Western Moutaineering Ultralight that I've used regularly for over 20 years. Best bag I've ever owned and I own lot's of bags for different uses. The Ultralight is my go to bag for temps over 25° when used w/ a tent.

You can also greatly extend the range of a more warmly rated bag with a light bivy bag. Bivy's are more efficient than tents which are more efficient than tarps. Mummy bags are more efficient for given weight than rectangular's. A bivy will also protect the expensive bag from all sorts of crap, even inside a tent. A note about down bags, the down will try to escape. Finer, better down will try to escape more than cheap stuff. Don't pull the down feathers out when they poke through, but grab them from inside and pull them back into the bag.

Down around those temps you're likely to sleep in long johns anyway (not that you would need to with the WM Ultralight) since at those temps midnight pee runs can be a bit chilling. Good luck, happy hunting!
  7. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey funny you bring these up as I had seen a video on utube about two hours ago where some backpacker magazine compared a bunch of bags and this company got selected as one of the best ones.

They also mentioned enlightened equipment revelation.

What about this bag?>

Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 600 3-Season 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

check out the video on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4n3Cl_OD_8

doesnt seem like its going to pack down small enough; I am looking for like 9x9.
  8. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Another option:
    2 - 40 degree bags. I've been using that set up for a couple of years now and NEVER been too cold OR hot. I do carry a sheet to put over the Exped if I'm expecting warm weather. Usually I slip into the semi rectangular and if I need more heat I use the mummy as a comforter over the top. Nice and toasty but very adjustable.

40 degree down bags fit almost anywhere if you keep them out of the stuff sacks.

I got both bags through Campmor for about $95 each. Took a while to find them on sale but patience pays off.

Gerg
  9. tlempke

tlempke Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. johninlv

johninlv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was into ultra light back packing and studied up on there mantra.
    It seems the way to go was the sleeping quilt with insulated pad and layered clothing.
    I cant backpack any more but the old obsolete ultra light still serves me well in motorcycle camping. Packs small and light.
    I have two.
    a Nunatak Arc Alpinist 18 oz
    http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_alpinist.htm

and a Jacks Are Better High Sierra 32 oz
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/high-sierra-sniveller/

For the sleeping pad I also have two
    Old Big Agnes Air core insulated mummy.
    and new Big Agnes large size thick R5 Air core.
    https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Pads

System explained

http://www.backpackingnorth.com/ultralight-makeover-change-your-bedding/

All you need to do now is pick your level of discomfort.

John
  11. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I decided to go on the cheap route but I think still achieve my objectives; Kelty Coromell Semi Rectangular 550 Down. Rated at 25 degree so if it achieves 35 I will be fine. What I liked was the size of the bag and got a long; its straight across the top so you could open it as it has a full length zipper all the way down and make a quilt out of it and should back down way more than the synthetics I have. Best part was the price: 149.00 out the door, no sales tax or shipping. I figure on my really cold winter trip I take car camping I will use this and bring along one of my other bags.

I have a new thermarest mesh cot that folds up nice and small and I will also use a thermarest pad on deck. Thanks for all the inputs fellas!
  12. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally bought a new bag over the winter. I got the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 800. I absolutely love it. Extremely comfortable in cold and warm weather and I really like the sleeping pad pocket. It packs wicked small too.
  13. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess its a bit late for the OP, but I'm also getting into the LW/ULW backpacking thing and recently field tested a great piece of gear - a Kifaru Woobie Express. It's basically a 1 lb, wearable poncho liner and 4' x 5'10" quilt that I use with my existing 1 lb summer mummy bag, and it replaces the need for a down jacket for the cold 30 degree evenings and mornings at the campsite. It has a footbox w/drawstring and body strap to keep it in place while sleeping and I'll use it inside my summer bag @25 degrees, on top @35, just the summer bag @45, and just the Woobie @55. Unlike a sleeping bag, the Woobie is also great for just watching TV at home and for car travel as a quilt, poncho and pillow. Really versatile system for 2 lbs.

[​IMG]
  14. rboett

rboett posser noob 205 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes . BA summit park + exped down mat
  15. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add a compression stuff sack to your sleeping bag setup, and you can pack it down even farther. My 20' down bag stuffs down to about 7" x 11". With a compression bag, I can get it down to about 7" x 7".
    G
  16. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 0*F version of this bag, have camped into the low 20's without issue. A good choice and priced right.
  17. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    it looks great! I may eventually make my way to that or a quilt. I just bought the thermarest cot so couldnt really drop any more into sleeping products!! Only concern I had was the footbox looked a little towards a mummy bag. I need more space I think. I wish someone stocked somewhere around me.
  18. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats great to hear. Will try and report back after my trip in 10 days. Its May in the NC mountains so not expecting real cold but always know I tend to need more bag and ratings are inaccurate for the most part. I figure coldest temp is probably 40d. But one night on Mt. Pisgah campground and a clear still night and who knows.
  19. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To the OP and others,

Remember to never store your bag compressed,especially down bags,it will be toast in less than a year.
    Best to store fully unrolled and re loft it once a month,or use the often included storage bag and take it out for a re lofting once a month or so.
    If your bag did not come with a storage bag,a big mesh laundry bag works well and is a lot cheaper than buying a "sleeping bag storage bag"

JR356
  20. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, agreed on the bag storage. I have mine in large 40L bags. It would be better to lay them down flat under a bed.