big ruckus squeaky?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by firebrick, Mar 25, 2012.

1. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a big ruckus for sale I've seen but the owner states that its squeaky upon acceleration? Is that normal?
  2. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pure guess, the engine hanger bushings are probably dry. Common issue on the Honda CH250.
  3. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be several different things , take it for a test ride if it’s priced decently just grab it .How many miles on it ?

TheReaper!
  4. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    4100, original owner. What's a reasonable price?
  5. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I'd say $3,000 up to $4,500 depending on how badly you want it, and how rare the seller thinks the machine is... (they are quite rare).
  6. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    Define "Squeaky."
  7. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck if I know. I'll find out when I go look at it.
  8. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    Depending on the cosmetics / over all condition , you're probably in the $3,500 all the way to $4,000 range .
    Right off you're going to need new tires if he hasn't replaced them yet , and I seriously doubt that he has .
    When and if you get it , be sure to read my write up on what you need to do to get it running right .

TheReaper!
  9. FoldArt

FoldArt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of you guys love these Ruckus', but I don't get it. It has no wind/weather protection, no storage, no step-thru nor a flat floorboard for carrying things and it seems to take a few mods to make them right even off the showroom floor (I read about tranny mods and suspension mods). The nicest thing I notice about them is the backrest.

For $3500 - $4000 I could think of other scoots that are really scoots that I would buy. I only paid $3500 for a three year old Vespa GTS a year ago. Wind/weather protection, storage built in, almost flat floorboard and classic looks. My wife just got a Majesty with 10,000 miles on it in excellent condition for $2800 two weeks ago. If I wanted to be exposed to the weather, and I was spending that kind of money, I could find low mileage motorcycles with 750-900 cc's. Lots of Yamahondakawazuki cruisers out there looking for a home.

Not knockin' you guys, just commenting.
  10. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Foldart, I think the general public agreed with you as it had a short run. The fact that it's quirky and has low production #'s makes it collectable as it truly looks unique. I like the large lashing area behind the upright seat and the fact that it looks like it could handle a fall without much damage.

BTW, congratulate your wife on her new ride.
  11. FoldArt

FoldArt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tastroman, I will tell her. She is still getting used to it. I never knew that they could take off so slowly and not tip over. I'm kind of a WOT take off guy.

She is signed up for a MSF course in about 4 weeks. I'll feel much better after she has taken it.
  12. TheReaper!

Oddometer:

I can only speak for myself on what makes the BR attractive .

#1 it’s not plastic

#2 it sits more like a motorcycle

#3 I like the military no nonsense look

#4 wide tires and low center of gravity

#5 rear deck accommodates a mega sized trunk that can carry more than any bike I know of

#6 it’s very comfortable to drive

#7 it’s quite flickable in traffic

#8 floor boards are very solid in a tip over

#9 very solid built and feel

Overall it’s just a great little work horse as a daily driver . People either love them , or hate them it seams .
    For me mostly it’s the over all utility of it .

TheReaper!
  13. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is quite the price increase compared to my ninja 250. I carry a lot of stuff quite often is why I was looking. I passed up a bargain BR last year just up the road and have been kicking myself since. Something about them I like.
  14. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my Big Ruckus from a fellow in Adair, Iowa, is that the bargain one you mention?
  15. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:

Agreed on all of these. Except that none of them make it worth the premium they carry, as rare items.

I had to think long and hard about this - as a BR appeared in an old neighborhood of mine, 1500 miles away but someplace where I know people and how things work. I could do it; but, since I have a Big Ruckclone, why bother? The clone does 80 percent of what the BR does, and some of what it doesn't do, is an advantage. Overheat, for example.

It tops out at 52 mph. Well, some tweaking ought to get me close to 60; and that's plenty fast on that sort of cycle. If I want to go faster, either of my others will do it for me. A BR won't do 80-90, either - that's why I have the R1200.

Doesn't ride as well? Sure. It costs, NEW, a third of what a USED BR costs. And the GY6 engine is bulletproof and standardized. And I don't have to worry about theft.

Enjoy your Big Ruck. Just as I'll enjoy my urban ghetto cruiser, on city streets and at lower speeds.
  16. TheReaper!

Oddometer:

Casey , I agree the BR has a healthy price tag comparatively speaking , and if it’s not worth it to you then you should stick with your Chinese model . Especially since you have to dump even more into a BR just to exorcise the BR’s gremlins . That said with a price tag of say $3,500 , then say another $700 for the Gremlins , it’s not all that bad for what your getting . If you have a $1,500 budget then of course the BR is out of the question . I have several bikes and can drive any thing I want , even the most expensive Harley they make . Actually I could have a garage full of any thing I desired , but I’m very happy with the BR and my Tmax . (Did I mention I’m sick of shifting ?) I paid $3,500 for the BR I’m driving , another $700 for the gremlins and about $400 for the trunk and hardware . I paid $6,450 out the door for my Tmax 2 years ago , overall for both I feel like I got good value for my money . As long as I am still able to ride I will have a BR in the stable , it’s my go to bike for running around town . For me there’s nothing like it , I wish it were a little bigger and had a little more power but it is what it is .

TheReaper!
  17. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Good to know - since I have zero experience with Honda scoots.

That's part of it. My finances have...how shall I say...come down a bit. When I bought the BMW, I was flying high - and the price and the deal, were unbeatable.

Those days are gone. Chinese or very, very used is where my finances are today. Fortunately the R1200 is paid for.

I hear ya there. That was part of my attractions to the scoot life.

I've run trucks, heavy equipment, cycles...and, of course, cages...all with manual shift and clutch, since I was fifteen. Ten years ago I never had owned an automatic...and, interestingly for a woman, my ex was the same way.

But I'm tired. I'm ready for a shiftless life...hence my current fascination with scoots.

Yah, I was thinking about that this evening...pleasant, summery night; I was running an errand for the boss, on the scoot (Mileage!) Except for the slower speed, not being able to get it up to rural legal speeds...it's really the perfect ride for me. Easy and light and thrifty - and not looking girly.

When the cash-flow settles, I'll look into a bigger jug for the engine and heavier variator weights. If I can make an honest, GPS-verified 60, I'll be tickled pink.

Age is catching up with me; one of these seasons I won't be able to throw a leg over the tank of a cycle. That's where the scooter collection comes in.
  18. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    No there was one in Ames with a windshield that sold fast. I was going to go look and bring cash but changed my mind. Good discussion here. I'm kinda torn on what to do. I could buy a couple old goldwings for the same price.
  19. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one is on omahas Craigslist for $3600. Someone here should get it if I don't.
  20. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few Big Ruckus scooters near me - I'm not interested in buying one but someone might want to look into one of them:

This one looks to be reasonably priced:
    http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2862341044.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcd/2877347848.html
    Seems kinda high...

So does this one:
    http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2891807645.html

Although I like the looks of the Big Ruckus there are a few things that stop me from buying one. Price - I'm not a collector - I use the things I buy. I like the idea of modern fuel injection which is why I bought the 2007 Majesty. And I want something that doesn't slow down on the hills at speeds of 60+. We've got a lot of hills around here. I'm thinking of moving up to the big Burgman so I can do some light touring. I like the Majesty for close to home errand riding but for a 400+ mile round trip ride it seems to be somewhat cramped. But then the 650 Burgman seems so big for just a jaunt in town to run an errand. There must be something thats 'just right' for all occasions - right? Probably not.
    Maybe someone will come out with a Big Ruckus clone with a 500cc fuel injected water cooled motor? The backrest looks quite inviting to an old and very bad back.