Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.
  2. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:

Desmo - you ARE one big Canuck , glad to see this bike works for you . :D
  3. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Multistrada is more comfortable for me than my DL100 V-Strom was. Great bike, love it, love it, love it. :D:D:D

DD
  4. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I wonder if he has really long arms and is covered in shaggy fur and hangs out in remote areas of Canuckistan....... :evil

[​IMG]

:lol3

:hide

-SM
  5. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    I'm running the short Puig; I didn't know there were two models. Weren't when I got mine. I'm your height, so it's not freakish. :)

Generally have it cranked all the way down, and it's nice. Not much buffeting, as quiet as the Mutley seems to get. Popped it all the way up when i failed to pack enough layers for the night run back down NM550 on Saturday; still pretty reasonable.

Nice windscreen. Looks good. Think they've fixed the fit. I had a light smoke, it didn't fit, swapped it out for a dark smoke that I don't like the look of as much but not spending $100 on my vanity right now!!

Pretty sure I have the 'bumpless' one -- I can't even find the bumpy one on Puig's WWW site...
  6. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    I still don't think 6'7 is freakishly tall. It's merely average for me.

I'm pretty sure that Christopher Lee said that anyone under 6' was a dwarf, anyway. :)
  7. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Heightist Propoganda!!!!!
  8. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:

Glad I made it out of dwarf status at 6 ft and 1/2'' , yes I,m counting the 1/2'' :lol3
  9. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe only on weekends , when he may find a sasqautch Biatch at the local shaggy hair pub. :eek1
  10. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to buy some red Ducati touchup paint from Colorite but it recommends also buying a clear coat too. My bike does not look like it has a clear coat. Am I seeing things ?
  11. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It definately has a clear coat . Let us know where you ordered your touch up paint . Thanks
  12. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Pampero

Oddometer:
    The Colorite pens (all you probably need, and plus one on the clear) works well. Give the base color a chance to dry well before putting on the clear. You'll be happy with how well you can camouflage small blemishes using their basic kit and a bit of patience. When you are all dome, do some research on this product. I just finished installing it on my bike. It was a bit of a chore, but it came out fine and it's a potent solution to stone chips and road damage.
  14. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    You installed it yourself it seems. It is a chore but you prove it is doable. :D Nothing against your capacity but did you have prior experience with this type of stuff (definitely not Sasquatch's long arms and lack of opposeable thumbs I would presume)?
  15. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha - LMAO! I find it's ok for the most part because the fur mostly tucks up in my sleeves!

Sco - Sasquatch biatch... Priceless.

Expatbrit - Thx for the info on the Puig. The "bumpy" one is PN 6273H in light smoke. I think I'll pick it up, and thanks for defending me against this abhorrent attack! ;-)

The bumpy Puig is this one:

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1631

DD
  16. Pampero

Oddometer:
    No experience at all but I am patient and OCD. The product is pretty forgiving. There is a learning curve, but the price of failure is low as the whole kit is pretty cheap. The 3M is said to be more durable and to offer better protection, but also is a bit tougher to install. The "tankslapper" kit might be the one to get for folks who are not quite as ambitious.

I started with the easiest pieces and went on from there. Their instructions (on the site) are helpful. The hardest (most perplexing) part was figuring out which pieces went where. Once you get it all laid out, you learn by doing. The results are quite excellent if I do say so myself, and have improved measurably over the week or so since I installed the kit, as the material tends to shrink fit and small flaws disappear as the material cures. I posted a thread on ducati.ms, but here are some shots for your consideration.

And to repeat; I went at it completely cold with the the confidence of ignorance. If I were to do it again (perish the thought) I could do it both faster and cleaner, but it is good enough as is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You get the idea Although though the photos are not of sufficient resolution
    to render the outlines of the film perfectly, this really is pretty much what it looks like. In person, it is hardly visible, though I did manage to trap a couple of small motes under a piece or two. Not worth going back and redoing. Having freedom from paint chips and spidering is a satisfying feeling, since I was starting to collect them. If you decide to try, post up and I'll go into more detail, but the bottom line is you can do it!

Here are a couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pampero - I had the 3M on my car and it is great for preventing rock chips , now is I could only get you to Calgary to install it . Would a meet & greet with Desmo AKA Sasqautch do it ? :lol3
  18. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well... after drooling over the Mutli for several years now I finally pulled the trigger today. Went in to test ride one... the demo was a 2012 ST (Ohlins).

1. The power was so much fun I still have a smile on my face.
    2. 100% agree with what I read... what rear brake? It has one? Really?
    3. The pure balance/handling of this bike is AWESOME.

Thought the height might be an issue... it was not. Wanted a 2013 GT but the guy sold me a new 2012 (gray) 1200ST... the deal on the 2012 ST was $4200 cheaper than the GT so I just couldn't say no. Fair deal on my trade in... BOOM... pick it up on Saturday.

Really... after riding a cruiser for almost 3 years I forgot what it's like to ride a bike that you can lean more than 4 inches. Oh... yeah, the guy said something about being able to go off-road with a Multi? :rofl

:D
  19. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Pampero,
    Thanks for the explanation and pictures. I think I get just the idea whether this is something I could tackle or not and what kind of results I would get (probably a few issues here and there). I guess making sure you get it right on the first try, on each panel, is the issue.
    Your bike looks great.
    Lion
  20. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

And yes, you can go offroad with them....wayyyy off road:

[​IMG]

:lol3

-SM
    GsGrins likes this.