Help me choose which KLR650 to buy

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jclifton, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to come back to riding after 20 years and will buy a used KLR650 this week. There is a couple that I know of in the Saint Louis, MO region and I wanted member’s opinions as to which one to get. If you had the choice which one would you get for basic adventure riding (paved and gravel roads and easy single track).

Your choices are:

Bike "A"

[​IMG]

Kawasaki KLR 650 (KLR650) - $3999

08 Kawasaki klr650 with 14k.This bike has an upgraded seat, heated grips, upgraded windscreen, stainless steel brake lines, 16T trans sprocket, eagle mikes doohickey, skid plate, crash protection, highway bar with pegs, performance pipe, power port, racks & storm cases. Will give 50+ mpg...makes a great commuter!

Bike “B”

KLR dual sport 2008 - $3350

[​IMG]

Blue and silver KLR less than 1oo miles on front and back tire and new battery, larger factory windshield works well for highway use great 2 up riding and off road ability. One owner well maintained with small scratch on side from falling over on driveway. 2008 was the first year for the new body design bullet proof motor. 11k mileage.

So the question is without a physical inspection which one. Are the additions on bike A both worth the extra $ and worth it in the way of providing actual benefit?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
  2. jim99900

jim99900 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of difference actually, as miles are close and the accessories are worth the extra money. I bought an 08 KLR with 14k on it in 2011 for $3300, and it had early Happy Trails boxes on it and a few other goodies, and I have been happy with it... very reliable, good mpg, easy to work on, etc. I used it mainly for commuting (although I have a large Honda also) between Michigan and Chicago (until the job ended) but started some offroading in local game area near me last Fall, The bike is heavy for any serious offroading, but its fun and it fits my abilities.

Only concern on a KLR is the oil usage due to ring problems on early 08s, some of which Kawasaki rebuilt. Mine does use some oil when I cruise freeways, but I get used to checking and filling and may do a "685 kit" eventually. But I like it overall and after about 11k miles have had no problems on my first KLR. first Kawasaki and only second "dual sport", first being an SL350. I rode a Honda sportbike prior to this, and the KLR is a dog in comparison, but adaquate.

Once you get used to the big boxes (I made mine easy to remove btw), you will love it as a place for rain gear and such. Now I have them on most of the time, unless planning some offroading, and it makes it very easy to commute to work.
  3. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    I'd go with the one with the extra kit, I think you're coming out ahead there. Luggage and protection isn't cheap and the mileage between the two is more or less a wash in my opinion. The stuff you listed seemed fairly well thought out as well, the guy liked his bike and probably could be expected to have reasonably cared for it.
  4. riderIN

riderIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want a "turnkey" bike than buy #1.
    If you like to do the mods yourself,and having fun to look up what mod you want and which aftermarket parts than go with #2./and if you have a patient wife who understands why you sitting in front of the computer talking to fellow advers about mods:rofl
    I think both priced OK.
  5. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I would go with the first one as the previous owner obviously took care of it and did the required mods, such as the doo.
    Listing EagleMike in his listing, in my opinion, means he's knowledgeable about the bike.
    Ask the PO what kind of oil burning it does, or if it was addressed in a recall.
    And I'm sure you can get that price down.
  6. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Bike #1

Given the small difference in mileage (3K miles), and small difference in price (650.00), I'd definitely go with #1. Skid plate, crash bars, rear rack + hard cases, plus the upgraded doohickey more than makes up for difference in price.

Whichever you choose, welcome back to riding!
  7. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    This thread isn't even an hour old.

Just give it some time; Any minute now, someone will be along to tell you to buy a DR650...

8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want a bike set up like "A", then "A" is a good choice. If that isn't how you want it set up then "B" is better as you have a clean slate to set it up your way.

Personally I don't like the '08s. They had some ring issues that year.

While we are at it, what color do you like better? They are close enough that color is a fair criteria for picking one machine over the other.

Mileage is nothing. I am sitting on 49k on my '00 with little more then one valve adjustment and normal maintance stuff.
  9. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's help bike "A" it will be.

Jason
  10. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    + 1!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  11. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Good choice

Those farkles are worth the extra $$ IMO
  12. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn.....

I'm too late.....

:D
  13. skdvr

skdvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too am in the St Louis area and have been keeping my eye on both those bikes. I am not in a position to buy right now, but if I was I would buy the first one.

Phil
  14. jclifton

jclifton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    update: Bike has been bought and is setting in the garage.

Thank you everyone for the input!

Jason

PS - The bike runs great and is a heck of a lot of fun so far.
  15. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I like this choice.
    Good luck with it!
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Hah! I was just gonna say,dont buy the KLR and then test ride a DR.
    Friends have done so then realized their mistake.

Not that there's anything wrong with a KLR,if you like that sort of thing.:rofl
  17. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As surely as the night follows the day . . .

:D

The DR boosters are on a mission from on high, to save the unwary from the heartbreak, pain, and horrors of KLR ownership.

From Scripture: "The DR boosters we shall always have among us." (King James Version)