Motoport Kevlar first impressions (long, many pics...)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gringo, May 18, 2005.

1. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Not to be a creep :evil, but we need some pics and reviews of ladies wearing motoport gear.:evil
    Seriously, the photos on Wayne's website are pretty crappy. Especially when it comes to women's gear.

It's Wayne's customers that help spread the word about his gear. I do when I meet other riders. Some of them have heard of Motoport and are curious. Some of them are still stuck with Joe Rocket and want to upgrade.

This doesn't even look like it fits the young lady:
    [​IMG]

I know there are a bunch of ladies out there that are happy with motoport gear.
    Represent!!! :ear
  2. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are some new photos on motoports site showing the one peice....much better than that old photo.
    [​IMG]
  3. VixObs

VixObs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have two sets of Motoport gear (air mesh and stretch Kevlar) and love 'em both. Here's a photo of me in my Marathon Stretch Kevlar jacket and Stretch Kevlar Street jeans. I'll eventually get around to taking/posting more. Two of my female riding buddies have Motoport as well.

Any women that plan to order some Motoport port gear, ask to speak with Christie. She designed the Women's specific Monroe jacket and helped me with alterations to make my Marathon a perfect fit.

Attached Files:

4. bill_milstead

bill_milstead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG_WTF, so you know I'm wondering...have you been out in this 97 degree heat riding around? If so, how is the stretch material?
  5. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    The most I've been in was 94F and HUMID!!! Damn I hate this weather!

The stretch does ok. It definitely flows air. The armor blocks the air flow, though. I removed the chest armor a while back and I'm thinking about removing the thigh armor. I'll put them back in when I go offroad. The big thing is my old touring windscreen. I have an adjustable windscreen now and it lets more air in from the sides.
    But at 97F it's better to block air out --it'll heat you up!!!

I think the stretch is pretty versatile. Previously, I had a one piece suit that did not flow air, it just vented. I think having a porous fabric is better than vents. I guess you could say that I wasn't as miserable as I was a year ago.

I wear some underarmour moisture wicking clothing underneath which helps.

If you do most of your riding in the summer then the mesh may be better.
    I ride all year, barring any snow storms.
    So far the aerotex rain liners have done well. They really do breathe! Much better than PVC rain gear! I hate those!!

I think the biggest hot spots are the chest, because of the armor and windscreen, and the thighs, probably because the heat from my radiator.

I have the option with extra velcro to leave the collar open. Good thing to have.

STAY HYDRATED!

Also, I'm fortunate that I commute to work early so I'm not a sweaty mess at work.

Not much else you can do with the hot AND humid weather. It's gonna suck.

Hopefully this helps.
  6. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it was a guy named Gordon. Gordon Gerbing. He lives near Seattle. :D
  7. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Also, I put my jacket cuffs over my glove cuffs and unzip the jacket cuffs by an inch or so. That lets some more air flow in.

It is 80F (going to 94F) with Rel. Humidity: 74%. :eek1
    It's bearable if you're moving......
  8. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    Unzipping the sleeve vents and back vent helps move more air. I also have the zip in kevlar mesh strip up the front for really hot weather. I think any stretch jacket could use one of these, as the zippers are standard. They probably would just need a zipper length measurement to make you one. The biggest impediment to the air movement is the armor, but I bought the jacket for protection, and I wouldn't feel as safe removing bits to improve airflow.
  9. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    nice idea!
    i vaguely remember a pic somewhere......
    could you re-post that pic? :D
  10. ssevy

Oddometer:
    I didn't post it, but I'll do some shots after work and put them up.
  11. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Does the jacket get too big with the panel?
  12. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    I emailed Wayne for details on the insert.
    I really wished I knew about this when I had my jacket made!!
    Seems like a good idea.

Attached Files:

13. ssevy

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I have been too busy to take any pictures. In regards to the zip in vent, it does improve airflow, but I wouldn't return my jacket and spend $70 to get it installed. Honestly, I have not found the mesh zip in to create a radical increase in airflow.
    I really think all of the discussion about hot weather riding is missing the simplest solution, which is a cooling vest. When I have the zip in strip installed, I have to snug up the adjustment straps on the sides to take out the slack. Likewise, removing armor to improve airflow just seems to defeat the purpose of the gear, which is to offer protection in a crash.
    Much better to keep things zipped up and all the armor in place, and use a vest to keep the inside cool. The stretch kevlar allows just the right amount of airflow to keep the evaporation going which keeps you really cool. Safety and comfort, and less expensive too. Here's one possibility:

http://fourseasonssurvival.3dcartst...ling-Sport-Vest-with-FREE-neckband_p_123.html
  14. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:

Interesting, thanks for the feedback as far as the effectiveness of the zip in vent.

I found that removing the chest armor and lowering/removing the windscreen helps.
  15. ssevy

Oddometer:
    My bike is naked, so I get maximum airflow. Removing any armor to adjust temperature seems a poor trade off. Just my humble opinion.
  16. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    for the kevlar racing gloves:
    does it use flat seams or external seams?
    sometimes after a long ride i can feel the seams and it creates a very uncomfy pressure point. i should work on my techinique, but still....
    Can you feel the seams on your fingers while the glove is on?
  17. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    First long ride with my Motoport gear - about 2K miles. Had the gear for almost 2 years.
    Met up with some friends in Flagstaff (after traveling from the coast via Barstow- Needles) for a memorial ride for a friend who died last year. The trip was all over central/southern AZ at a modest pace. Temperatures ranged from about 60F to 115F. Was wearing LD garments underneath the Marathon jacket and pants and had a camelbak full of ice water all the time. At less than 100 degree the gear was quite comfortable. At temperatures greater than 100 - opening the jacket to below sternum and keeping moving or finding shade was the key to staying comfortable.

I did take out the chest armour to improve the cooling in the jacket.

All in all - a great improvement over my Stitch in hot weather
  18. BonesDT

BonesDT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribing (can't get enough MP pics).
  19. morabito

morabito Crashtest

Oddometer:
    So, I've been through all of the threads and have read everything there is to read on the stretch vs mesh material. I live in Connecticut. In summer, we frequently get days in the 90, sometimes even 100 degrees. I roast in my Aerostich roadcrafter, and am looking for something cooler, but that I can still use in early spring and fall when temps drop. I've read that the mesh and stretch both perform the same in cooler weather with the liners in, but would think the stretch must be warmer. Sometimes on the hot days it will be in the high 60s or low 70s in the early morning. I'm leaning towards the stretch and thinking about relying on a cooling vest for the really hot days, but don't know if that will work in the hot AND humid, which we get here in the northeast. I've read that some poeple love the stretch as far south as Atlanta, but that others have no problem layering the mesh for cold weather. So, my head is spinning. I guess it has a lot to do with not knowing how the stretch actually feels in the heat compared to my Stich. For the hot days I currently use a First Gear mesh jacket which is light and cool enough, but I'm not comfortable with the protection it offers. So I ask you all, especially New Englanders, for advice. Keep in mind that I am not concerned with arid desert like temps as I don't ride in that climate. Heat here in New England is often, though not always, accompanied by humidity. Thanks to all in advance for your insight.
  20. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    I'm in MA, and had the same questions. Went with stretch, as the number fo cooler days exceeds hotte days up here in NE.

Like you, had a 'stich that was an absolute roaster in the summer. I have worn the stretch in 90 degree days and it was fine, so long as you are moving, but I think that applies to any gear.

If your tolerance for heat is minimal, I would say mesh, but I've found the stretch to be OK in hotter weather when it's set up to vent and you're moving along.