Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Steven,

Apology accepted.
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do I have to do everything for you?:D
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    Whats the interest in Fantasy Canyon?
    Why is it worth it?
  5. dakardad

Oddometer:
    Ok, nevermind. Its an interesting stretch of the legs.
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Men have been interested in "Fantasy Canyon" since the dawn of time.

Now whether it's worth it is another age old question.:wink::D
  7. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I was thinking more Fantasy Cave. Canyons not bad either.
  8. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, I know this is a bit of a stretch, but do any of you have an aftermarket seat for an 1150GS Adventure?

I can either trade a stock black / yellow GSA seat or some dead presidents.

The standard GSA seat is a little too tall for me; I like the stock low seat I am using but wouldn't mind something a little . . . nicer.

PM me if you've got anything--thought I'd try Utards before posting in flea market.
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How many of those Presidents do you have???:evil

[​IMG]
  10. dakardad

Oddometer:
    Ummm, mearly a snack ma boy, mearly a snack.
  11. miatre

miatre So yeah about that.

Oddometer:
    I have a crf250x moto that I am in the process putting a new top end on.
    I put a 250r head, a hot cam and weisco piston in. Everything else is stock.
    I have everything installed to make the motor run and it does run and start just fine.
    Started it for the first time and there is an abnormal noise in the motor.
    Turned it off and removed and reinstalled the kick starter and that helped with some of the abnormality noise but something else still doesn't sound right.
    Im not certain what to look for next.

I have shimmed the valves prior to starting can turn the motor over by hand using allen head with no abnormal noise that I can tell.

The motor has ran for maybe 30 seconds. How long does the motor take to prime the oil to the head?

Suggestions?

TIA!
  12. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    I'm no motor pro but I've been in a few.

1) Did you take off the side cover and remove the kickstarter mechanism? They can be a pain to get back in properly.

2) Can/could you tell where the noise was coming from?

3) Are you sure the cam chain tensioner is installed correctly (tension pulled OUT before installation)?

4) All bolts were torqued properly (with a torque wrench).
  13. miatre

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the fast reply.
  14. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Does the kick starter engage in the same spot it did before and spring back to the same spot? I've put them in wrong and they make a nutty sound.

By the way, the pressure builds pretty quickly, but when I go in to the head/valves I always dump a little oil around cam just to make sure there is enough there on startup.
  15. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Oh, and it sounds like you did the tensioner exactly correct.
  16. miatre

Oddometer:
    The first time I put it in the kick starter would move forward. The second time I put it back together it seems to stay in place.

I am going over everything in my head. I remember when I was test cycling the motor after putting all the working parts together to make sure nothing binded, that the compression cam was making noise.
    I was thinking about it in the shower and haven't looked under the valve cover but I think this is the next place im going to look. The manual doesn't say much about it.

On the positive note, the motor starts super nice and with out hesitation unlike before. :-)

Again thanks for the help.
  17. miatre

Oddometer:

Thanks for the suggestion. I know full well of what you talk about. I had to take them out several times getting the shims with in correct number. I will look at that later today just in case I messed up. Pretty certain that the caps were sitting flush with the head part.
  18. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Does the noise go away, or lessen with increased RPM?
  19. miatre

Oddometer:
    The noise increase's with speed.
    So.. I took the valve cover off, poked and prodded. The valves are in tolerance all the way around. I cycled the motor through the strokes via the timing mark access, and didnt get the loud clank but a small one. It was caused by the compression cam. I took this out completely to eliminate probable causes.

I hooked the battery up and cycled the engine through use of starter motor. No loud or small clank.
    I put an oil collector up to keep oil from everywhere and put the spark plug in and started it. I get loud clank. The noise seems to happen with a bit more rpm than turning by hand or electric starter.
    If i was a guessing person I would now say it has something to do with the exhaust lobe/rocker arm.

Im too the point of completely disassembling the top end and starting again.

Here is a a hard description of the cycling of the cam. From 7-5:30 the cam moves smooth. Even with contact to the exhaust lobes its smooth. From the moment there is contact with the intake lifters there is 2 small pressure restrictions and then its smooth. Does this sound normal, about the pressure points on the cam lifters?

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for plugging up the BS thread with my tech questions. :evil:D
  20. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the clank slower or faster Hz then the "pop" of the exhaust coming out the tailpipe?