Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, it will certainly do that. You would just need to figure out what sprocket ratios suit your riding style.

Lots of people run a 47t rear sprocket with the stock 13 front, and get by fine. Having a 12t front available for steeper trail riding [if you wish to do that sort of thing] is an inexpensive move. Changing them out is about a half-hour job. Sprockets are the best sub-100$ move you can make for good trail behavior.
  2. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I run 13/54 on my WRR with Dunlop MX51 or Shinko 540 Mud tires and plow through everything. I even pass orange bikes occasionally going up hill. ;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/diau7zhUyjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I finally got my stock suspension lowered using the method in this link from High Five as well as lowered the front forks about 15mm, so I'm hoping it will make a good bit of difference at low speed maneuvers. Now I just need to get my suspension set up for my weight. That's another ball game all together, and I'm a little hesitant to start messing with it.
  4. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    What's your top speed with that gearing??
  5. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I don't know but I've had it going 70 on the GPS and still hadn't hit the rev limiter. Since I'm running off road tires and mainly use the bike for off-road trail use only I usually don't go any faster than 45MPH.
  6. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Oh and btw that orange bike I passed on that hill was a KTM 350 XCF-W. :D (Crawdaddy's new ride).
  7. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In your vid, what gear are you running on the rear? I need to change mine I think. I'm using a 13x48 and first gear is just too short. 2nd feels real good after I shift, but I need to either run in 2nd with a bigger wheel, or do something. Got any ideas????

Oh, I have a new 606 on the rear and a new mt 121 on the front.
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Spiegler, they are an Ohio co.
  9. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I'm running 54 tooth on the rear. I think the MX51 that I'm running might be a bigger diameter than the D606 too.
  10. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's only about 20-40 lbs if I remember correctly. It's interesting that everyone says that about the WRR. It doesn't look like it, but the center of mass must be lower. I noticed the same thing compared to my DR. The difference is about 75 lbs, but it feels like 150.
  11. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    The TE610 feels like a tank compared to the WR too, just big and bulky.
    First time I rode a WR was when I had my TE on a local ride with a friend.
    We swapped bikes and I thought "what a toy!"....felt like a kiddies bike. But man was it fun-er! :D
  12. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    to quote BigDog

13. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all you WR250R owners and lovers, which bike would you see as its most closest rival. The one bike that you'd trade for today (or not) if given the opportunity.
  14. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    The closest bike, on paper, is the CRF250L, though I still personally feel its closer or at least in between the WR250R and the new fuel injected XT250. Had that bike existed when I bought my WR250R, I don't think I would have been able to part with the extra money even though it nets a technically superior bike. That being said, I don't know if I'd trade my WR for one... but if it came down to buying new again I might be seeing red over feelin' blue. Either way I won't end up (Kawasaki) green with carb'd envy. :rofl

One bike I probably would trade for, assuming I was looking for the same style of bike, is a KTM 690 enduro. Same weight, 3x the power? Yes please!
  15. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    BUT... It's significantly more money and still (probably) not as bulletproof. Certainly it would require a bit more maintenance.
  16. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out Kalani in this video. He has the 290 kit but it's more technique than engine displacement. Watch his friend
    on the WR450 for comparision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6--vu5ca94&feature=player_detailpage
  17. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another choice similar to this would be the 350EXC - that's the one I'd probably get if money were no object. But hell, I can pick up a brand new (2010 or 2011) WR250 for near $5,000, four grand is a LOT of money for addons. Guess I'll have to take another look at the Honda, but I prefer Yamaha over Honda.
  18. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, lofting the front wheel - non-issue :) I'm like, OMG, I was going to watch the video, then the link wasn't there. I'm like, duude, what video? So a buddy of mine called and said there was this totally awesome Tang event up at the Bird, dude. But I wound up refreshing this page and was stoked to see your link - I'm like, that is totally SO rad!
  19. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R6--vu5ca94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I like Kalani's video's. He's the reason I bought a WRR. ;) I think it's an age thing because I've mentioned his videos to others and they had a similar reaction to yours. ;)