ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. CacheFlow

CacheFlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the best oil for first oil change? Are you guys using stock filters or the reusable oil filters?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
  2. No_Good_ID

No_Good_ID Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations:clap I'm impatiently waiting for my 2014 EXC 500 to arrive. Can I ask what part of the US/Canada you live in (I'm in Vegas)? Does anyone know of any other arrivals?
  3. mmjsport

mmjsport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want my 2014 to get here!
  4. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer is in colburg Ontario canada. Picking up Tuesday afternoon - will post pics up then!
  5. ktm raptor

ktm raptor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must be Orange Motorsports in Cobourg? Awesome group of people there, bought my 500 xc-w from Greg this year. Take some pics of that beaut when you get it!
  6. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep - that's the one.
    Colburg/cobourg - same place isn't it :)
    I'm about 4 hrs away - so don't know the area that well.
    Greg has been great to deal with so far.
  7. Johnnyktm

Johnnyktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We all are awaiting these pics when you have the 2014 bikes! :D
  8. Sqidget

Sqidget Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am jealous as hell! I am rather impatiently awaiting my 2014 !
    Best of luck with it! When you see it please verify if the gearing is now 14/50!
    :clap
  9. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted in this thread in quite some time...haven't ridden the bike in a very long time either.

Since my last post I installed a 5.3gal Acerbis tank and replaced the battery twice. The first batt replacement was driven by my mistake. The second was an unfortunate by-product of my hiatus from riding...

First my primary riding buddy wiped out (serves him right for riding without me) and was out of commission for a few months. By the time he got well enough to do anything, he deployed for a year. In the mean time, I messed up my foot and then bulged a disk in my neck. The neck is about 80% at this point but the foot is still giving me trouble almost 10 months later.

I hate the fact that I have a '12 with a ton of mods and a whole 9.X hours on the clock and that hasn't been ridden in nearly a year! Planning to go fix that tomorrow, foot pain be damned! We've had a decent amount of rain in the mountains over the last month and I plan to get good and muddy. Unfortunately I'll be by myself so not getting too far out into the stuff. I'll snap some pics.

The new Shorai battery made a huge difference. Hadn't started the bike in several months and after dropping the new battery in, it fired right up with little more than a thumb of the switch and blip of the throttle.

Moving back to Vegas in a month and looking forward to some winter riding in the open desert and some of the more remote mountain passes. I'll get a chance to actually have a local KTM shop as well as someone that can actually dial in a suspension closer than 180mi away. Full Race-tech setup in the plans. After that, some basic bags and I'm done messing with it and can just ride the piss out of it!
  10. Johnnyktm

Oddometer:
    Get 100% well soon, and thanks for the info about the Shorai battery. If/when mine dies, I'll seriously think about moving to li-ion :D
  11. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd share my excitement today as I did a deal on a new 14' 500 Six Days edition. My beloved 690 will be part of the deal.

The reasoning for the change is that my new 1190 Adv will take over most of the touring duty of my 690. Last winter I also found that the 690 can feel quite big and heavy once you get into deep snow :D Especially when combined with my lack of talent :clap

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/60914556" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    I put my bike underwater last weekend and have not been able to get it going correctly.

Did all the normal dry out / oil change stuff. First time with FI but I when through it as best as I could. It does squirt fuel out of all the little holes...

The bike will start sometimes but sometimes not. You can pull start it but it still does not run correctly...

QUESTION; What should cylinder pressure be... mine pumps up to about 35psi.

I have gone through everything else. I don't have a true leak down set up but when I to go DTC and apply air I can only hear it in crankcase... does that mean rings or maybe head gasket. Valves seem to be holding ok.

I took in a lot of sandy water and did get it to run for about 10 minutes after upside down trick etc. Maybe I just ruined the rings.

Any suggestions before I tear it down all the way and just start replacing stuff...

BTW - 135 hours and 3,800 miles (90% dirt).

Thanks
  13. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:

Good pair of bikes. I rode the new 1190 last week through a few passes in the Alps, back to back with a new Multistrada. More polished overall and nearly the motor. Definitely does not feel as heavy as it is.
  14. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    115 with the ADC working. I'm surprised it will start at all @ 35
  15. Red Barron

Red Barron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vico1,
    I really hate to even mention it but you may want to also consider a bent rod.
    Hydro locking the engine while running... Not so good.
    Liquid doesn't compress.
    It would explain the low compression reading.
    The pulling it to get it started and the poor running performance.

Did you notice any additional vibration when it did start?
  16. TonyinKY

TonyinKY n00b

Oddometer:
    My piston after a good dunkin'. I took the top end apart and flushed the bottom end out and changed the oil 5 times and everything is as good as new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Yes I have considered that. But it ran smooth from a vibration stand point.

I am pulling engine apart now and will let you guys know what I found. I hoping its just a new piston and rings at this point...

Thanks for the feed back...
  18. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Everything looked good until I got the cylinder off. The compression ring was suck all along the exhaust side. I thought it has welded itself in there but it was just stuck. I finally got it out without breaking. Cleaned out slot. Oil ring looked fine. Ring gap was over but not bad.

I believe I could put it back together and it would be fine, BUT - new piston rings and gaskets on the way and will lap valves while waiting. Actually for 136 hours it looks real good.

The leak down test really told me it was rings/piston and not valves and I believe this will be the cause. BUT lets wait and see before we start :clap
  19. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...and I remember the seat being the suck but bloody hell my ass is killing me! The bike shorts made it tolerable for a bit but eventually that pine board just ground its way through.

Also, question for those of you with proper off-road boots: How the hell do you shift? Boot's so stiff I could barely flick the shifter with the side of my foot to upshift. Miracle that I didn't kill myself searching for the rear brake a couple times. Fairly new boots and the first time I've ridden in them. Please tell me it gets better with use?

Regardless of all the pains, man, I needed that! Another 2.5 hours on the clock that the bike needed too.
  20. Johnnyktm

Oddometer:
    We look forward to knowing how it turns out. Let's hope that you can fix it without lots of $$. I wish I had the knowledge to be able to repair my vehicles as you do! :thumb