Rookie wanna-be weldor starting to make some cool things!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kirkster70, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks, David!

More progress on the F800GS...

[​IMG]

I change the lower, outer bevel from a 3" cutaway to a 2". I'm still tweaking things as I go trying to improve the quality and overall look of things.

[​IMG]

I bend a 45 for the exhaust cut-out and check for fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That should look quite decent. Me likey!

...and I try to make little improvements each and every time. This time around I upgrade what I have been using for mounts...

[​IMG]

...and I ordered a "puck" mounting kit for 5/8" tube from Happy Trails. It's a quality set up for a decent price. Until I have the ability to machine my own, this is what I will use. This is a nice upgrade.

I should be able to fire up the TIG tomorrow. Working 6) 12 hours days this week is kicking my butt! I've been trying to slip into the garage for at least two hours each evening, but I'm regretting it when the alarm clock goes off! :lol3
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I've been considering my upper mount. I was spoiled with the Jesse mounts. This is similar to what I am making for the bags, just one per bag on the top of the hoop.

[​IMG]

I think you will like these better as they will simplify alignment, and allow the operator to move the bags forward and back a couple inches!

Jim :brow
  3. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I think so, too. You came 2 jobs too early to get them. Sorry about that.

I'm just trying to do the best quality I can for the money involved. I'm big on "bang for the buck" (re - KLR :D) so I keep trying to "up" my game so to speak.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No worries at all! I got a great deal on my bags, and being a beta tester is the bane of the BMW owner!:lol3

Seriously, when I come to a final solution I will share it with you. Might be useful!:deal

5. Ride4Coffee

Ride4Coffee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you use that enamel on bags too? I suppose it doesn't chip like powder coating, right?

Those bags look incredible!
  6. Dwreker

Dwreker The Wrecker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

THAT looks Awesome! :clap

Don't kill yourself on my account! (Although I'm not gonna lie, I was certainly not disappointed to see the updates :D)
  7. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I don't know how durable the paint would be on the bags. Nowhere near a durable as powder, that's for sure. Personally, I'd leave 'em raw or powdercoat them. I don't think I'd paint the bags if it were me. Of course, that's just my opinion.
  8. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    We're getting there! Glad U like it! :freaky

I'm trying to get you knocked out so you can enjoy some of this pretty weather we've been having. :clap
  9. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of those from HT as well for the bags I bought in the FM and mounted on my KLR. They do a nice job and are very secure.

Agree on powder coating the bags themselves. I've never had a problem with chipping due to normal road debris. It's very durable. :thumb
  10. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    Good looking PIAAs!
  11. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My lovely assistant helps model the left pannier. I have such a good wife! :clap

If you can find a female to put up with your nonsense, you should do your best to hang onto her. :wink:

[​IMG]

Flanges purposely bent long to trim out the radius for the gasket.

[​IMG]

Gettin' closer to the finish line. Maybe more to see tomorrow...
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You really can't beat a custom set like this! Looks great Kirk! Your polish is getting very glossy!:deal:clap

13. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim! :freaky
  14. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to spending time in that shop! I estimate about 15-30 days until it will happen. :clap You've heard it a thousand times, good work!
  15. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does this stuff keep getting better and better?

Amazing.
  16. Dwreker

Dwreker The Wrecker

Oddometer:
    I cannot wait to see these in person! What is it looking like the total width is going to be?
  17. Dwreker

Dwreker The Wrecker

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was worried that they were going to be way too big. I am happy with how they turned out and the amount of light they give off. I used the "Autoswitch" which lets you control them by holding down the turn signal button which I think is really cool. It confuses me as to why they would put the solid PIAA logo on the cover in the direct path of the light beam though :hmmmmmMight end up buying some generic mesh covers.

Now back to your regularly scheduled welding program. :freaky
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    wow! this is something I have been thinking of doing, though I would be starting from ground zero. Kirk, you are an inspiration. I just read the first page of this thread, and then skipped to the last page. What a difference! Your stuff looked good to start with, but those aluminum panniers are gorgeous!

Good work!
  19. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got some of the basic ones in yesterday and was blown away.....
    With the black finish they almost look to purty to put on my well used KLR :jinx

Thanks Kirk!
  20. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    WOW! Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the nice comments! :clap

I feel like Steve Martin in the Jerk - I think I found my special purpose. Heheheh!!!