KTM 990 SMT vs Ducati Multistrada 1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wynHand, Jul 3, 2011.

1. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same dilema. 2010 Multistrada base vs KTM SMT. I can get the SMT for $11,700 OTD. The multi I can get for $14k. The nearest KTM street dealer is 2.5 hours away. Ducati is only 20 mins away. That could be an issue warranty wise.

I'm a KTM fan- already have a 690 SMC. But the ducati has more power, and the cool dashboard.... I can' t decide.
  2. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will be. :norton
  3. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I got insurance quotes today- the winner for me is..... Ducati.

Ducati for 1 yr- $361
    KTM - $499.

I'm military so I get a good price from USAA/Progessive. I think the Ducs' ABS helps with the insurance rates. Plus I'm going for dealer support locally.
  4. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Bummer, the guy with the '10 multistrada backed out of the deal- he's keeping it. So now I'm looking a new one for $16k+ OTD, or a '10 KTM 990 SMT for $11,700 OTD. I'm leaning towards the KTM now :huh
  5. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    When I checked Progressive earlier this year, 2010 and 2011 SMTs have virtually the same rate despite the ABS. A little annoying given the Duc's significantly higher HP and questionable ABS performance (have they fixed that yet?).
  6. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You want the SMT, it's sublime :lol3 !
  7. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I can get a 2010 SMT for $11,700 new. The 2011's with ABS are more expensive- like $13,000. Think it's worth $1,700 for white plastic, ABS, and a year newer bike?

My 690 SMC is orange... so the '10 would match. But ABS might just save my bacon someday.
  8. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    I agonized over that decision for weeks. I was concerned about reports on other bikes that the ABS system's extra plumbing contributed to a spongier brake feel. I eventually had the opportunity to ride the 2010 and 2011 back to back and I could not discern any difference in brake feel.

MCN showed the system would still allow braking aggressive enough to lift the rear wheel. So given those two aspects, I couldn't see how having ABS would hurt, so In the end I hit the fuckit button and sprung for the 2011.
  9. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    What "questionable ABS performance?"
  10. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I just might have to hit that same button :evil
  11. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
  12. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea - 158 seems completely ridiculous though.

In any case, the SMT and MTS use the same Bosch 9+ ABS system (as do my Ducatis and both of my BMWs, and a whole lot of other bikes). Maybe there was specific software problems in the first batch of MTS from Ducati?
  13. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:

I understood the SMT system was exclusive, at least for 2011. Perhaps they were referring to weight. In any case, each bike can have different ABS programming that will effect performance.

If I translated this correctly, here's an R1200GS out-stopping the Multistrada.
  14. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    SMT isn't using 9+ apparently. I'm guessing it is ABS 9 base.

From Ash on Bikes:
    “The new ABS system on the 990 SM T is better than on any rivals’ bikes, and even expert riders find it very difficult to beat. It is also very light. We have used the very latest Bosch 9th generation hydraulic pump, which no one else yet uses, and the total extra weight of the whole system adds only 1kg (2.2lb) to the bike, which is not noticeable. Other systems add at least 3kg (6.6lb), which starts to affect the handling. You can switch our system off too.”

Another Ash article on Bosch ABS Testing.
  15. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get the SMT
    Benduro likes this.
  16. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Wow, and you have the multi! Can you give us some insight as to why?
  17. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was. Persisted for quite a while. IIRC about a year down the track there was a big software update that was designed to fix the ABS, among other issues.

Funny thing is, while there were plenty of complaints about early activation, I've never seen anybody report on how well the fix worked. The complaint threads on forums seem to have died, however.
  18. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, now you're talking 16k for the multistrada vs 11,700-13,000 for the KTM which is significant. I always like the KTM and it has plenty of power. The MS has crazy superbike power. As I have said before, its a 1098 with an upright riding position. My bike with the full Termi is an absolute animal!!!!!! If you like sportbike power than the MS might be your ticket. The ultimate choice depends on your intended use. I don't like the MS for two up and thats why I got the GS. The fueling and vibrations from the Desmo are just not smooth enough to prevent significant head banging between rider and pillion at low speeds. Once up to speed its a different story. The GS IMHO is the best of the three for touring and any two up riding.
  19. Falcon4

Falcon4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at these two bikes very hard for awhile. The MTS 1200 is the best looking bike out there to me, but maybe just a little too pretty for the job IMO. SMT seemed to be way more bike for the money and more cut out for the job these two were designed for. I also read where that MTS seat sort of locks you into a position that is not too comfy for longer rides. Also more hp is always better for some folks, but the SMT just seemed to be powered right. Wonder if those higher hp jap bike engines mentioned earlier were heavier, as I think I've read where the Lc8 was the lightest in it's class (or something like that)

I bought the SMT and have put over 5k miles on it in a few months. Don't see how I could be happier. I was actually running with a MTS in the mountains couple of weekends ago with a top notch rider, according to his friends. The KTM gave me no problem keeping up and even seemed to be stronger powering out of the curves into the straights, but I don't expect that could be the bike. The MTS rider must have been taking it easy in that respect. I'm pretty sure I got the right bike, but sure do like the looks and specs on the 1200. The lighter SMT probably has the handling edge, with the power edge going to the MTS, so depends on which you value more. The KtM also looks better than the MTS with a little dirt on it as well, lol.
    Benduro likes this.
  20. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    ecu and pipe didnt fix this? i was close to getting a ms thinking this was a fix for low speed