Loctite

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lightsorce, Sep 9, 2007.

1. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  2. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Team-

Heading off to work the Loctite Tent in Sturgis on Main Street in the parking lot immediately North of the HD dealership until Sunday.

If you go, stop by the booth and don't forget to give the old ADV salute to the first person you see at the booth and then tell 'em you're looking for some cat named Chip from down south in Louisiana.

Dirty
  3. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Woohoo!! A whole thread about our stuffs!!! :clap

Katherine here, also from the Loctite/Henkel Team, from the other side of the pond. Keep the questions coming, and let us know if you find unusual uses for the products. We can learn, too.....
  4. Dexter!

Dexter! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirty, I have a delrin piece that broke, this is the speedometer gear and it will take a month or so to get the replacement, so I don't want to ride without using the odometer. I've tried "superglue" and it didn't held. So, what can I use?

[​IMG]

The broken piece is #15 in the pic, and it particulary broke the 2 pieces that sitcks out the gear and locks into the wheel hub.
  5. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    What do you suggest for glueing Valeo magnets back to the housing? It was recommended to use Loctite 325 SpeedBonder / Loctite 707 Activator, but I looked for it at one point a few years ago and found none here in town.

Is that what you'd use? Would I have to order it from you - seems the auto parts stores around here don't carry much in the way of Loc-tite products.
  6. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Dexter/Spokes-

I'll call Tech Product Support on Wednesday and get back to you Dexter.

Spokes-The Speedbonder product you mentioned is called a Two-Step Acrylic. The glue part flat out won't do a thing without the use of that Activator. I think that family of products would be a good choice...quick, tough, play well with water, play well with the violence a front wheel sees. You're never going to find this sort of adhesive at an auto parts place. An Industrial Supply house like a Motion Industries, a Hisco, RS Hughes, Applied, Grainger, Fastenal could get this sort of product but they're not going to stock an odd-ball product like this.

Dirty
  7. Wirespokes

Oddometer:
    Dirty - this is a Valeo Starter motor. It's a permanent magnet motor and they're glued to the inner part of the housing. The first 20 years these starters were used on BMW twins the glue would sometimes give way and allow the magnets to come loose and stick to the armature, locking up the motor.

Do you still feel this is the best product for the application?
  8. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Magnet bonding for applications just like this have a whole section in the Loctite catalog.

PM me with your number so we can talk this through.

Dirty

9. Wirespokes

Oddometer:
    Actually, the Valeo starters are made in France, and they've got a very good reputation. I guess they make starters for just about everything produced in europe from trucks to high-end sports cars. Other applications didn't have the 'dropped-magnet' problem, it was somehow a problem with the bmw bikes. But that was solved with different glue and added retainers between the magnets as the upgraded units don't have that problem.
  10. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    The Nordwest (Italian) radiator fan motors had the same problems. Epoxy would deteriorate with time and the magnets would drop on to the armature.
  11. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    It's a heat problem. Heat softens the epoxy and causes it to fail.
  12. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    there was a run of valeo guzzi starters that had the same problem. they're basically the same starter. i have a valeo guzzi starter that works perfect, but i bought it after that first run that dropped magnets...
  13. Spray Head

Spray Head n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear. i was on the marketing and sales team that introduced "QuickStix" back in 2003. Have you used the stick yet?

14. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have. Greatest thing since beer :freaky Love it, and have virtually done away with my liquid versions. A little hard to find in these parts though I must admit.
  15. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Head-are you a fellow Henkeler by chance?

Dirty
  16. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto I knoews I be bad.

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of sneakers that the heel came off.
    They were otherwise in good shape.
    Got some of this.
    [​IMG]

Two years later those sneakers are still running.:d
  17. Taranis

Taranis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirty,

Gixxer service manual calls for "Thread Lock Cement Super 1360 or equivalent, P/No.: 99000–32130" on brake rotor bolts. Googled it and found a reference to it being for high temp, and also Threebond and Permatex using the number. Couldn't actually confirm your nemeses doing that, but found this:

http://www.threebond.co.uk/PRODUCTS/ThreeBondLockingAgents/AnaerobicSealant/tabid/210/Default.aspx

1360 High Temperature Nutlock (Up to 200ºC) [392 in "press 1 for English"]
    Medium Viscosity
    Fixing and sealing of bolts, nuts and screws requiring high thermal resistance ​

The bikes come with a blue patch on the bolts from the factory.

What Loctite would your recommend on my rotor bolts? I'm thinking blue strength but high-temp capability.
  18. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    There's no way the the bolts which hold the rotor on the hub get hotter than 300F.

The product they called for is good for near 450F, it's way stronger than you need, and the smallest container it comes in is 50ml.

The blue preapplied dried on product is not available to mere mortals like us. It's called drylock and is only applied at coatings houses for customers like GM, Honda, Suzuki, etc, etc., etc. who use millions of the same size fasteners each year. The color of the drylock product is nothing like the color of the liquids.

Blue liquids are removable, while I have no idea without looking it up the strength of a blue preapplied.

Go to your local Motion Industries, Grainger, Fastenal, Barnes, MSC, Applied Industrial Technologies, and ask for Loctite pn. 1330583. This is a 10ml bottle of one of the new primerless, higher temp (360F) red permanent threadlockers. Once again, there's no way those rotor bolts are going to get up to 360F-even under racing conditions.

Dirty
  19. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good word.

Baby needs shoes.

Dirty
  20. Taranis

Taranis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why red, rather than the 243 blue? Maybe it's just because my day job is around race cars, but I don't think of a brake rotor as something that gets permanently installed. I've torched red Loctite out of a bent handlebar before (threaded bar end inserts for hand guards). Wouldn't want to have to do that on M8 fasteners in a large aluminum casting like a wheel. Could be annealing the casting and throwing it in the recycle bin before the fasteners were up to temp to get the wisp of smoke.

Color: Blue
    Specification: NSF/ANSI 61
    Style: Primerless / Oil Tolerant Liquid
    Type: Threadlocker
    Performance: Medium Strength
    Container Type: Bottle
    Container Size: 10 mL
    Temperature: -65[DEG]F - 360[DEG]F