Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just updated my Montana the other day and have been trying to do the simulated navigation. I could not figure out what the hell was wrong but that explains it. Hope that feature returns I really liked it. :cry
  2. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just realized the simulated navigation still works. I went under Satellite and selected "use with GPS off" and sure enough it is working. :clap
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Still doesn't work for me even if I do that, but the problem might relate more to the routes and tracks I am trying to use. If I try to simulate routing to something simple, it seems to work.
  4. ebbo

ebbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a Tempe paired up ok, temperature showing in display ok but temperature not being recorded in the tracklog :cry Anyone any ideas please?

Montana 600, software v4.70
  5. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Any pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    Those of you who have installed an SAE connector to be able to remove the rugged mount off your bikes - isn't there an audio cable in there too?
  7. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    Anybody else having the grey/white screen on startup? I've had this problem occasionally since I got the unit 4 months ago but it happened infrequently, until this past week. I've had it happen 4 times this week. Tried to search the Garmin Forums but their forums don't seem to be set up for questions like this. Google search found a Geocaching forum that has a thread on this problem from about 18 mos. ago but they report it mostly happens when the Montana is installed in a cradle, mine does it both when installed in the cradle and when hand held. Usually powering down the unit 1 or 2 times will bring it back to normal startup but yesterday I had to remove it from the cradle and cycle power in handheld mode to get it to start normally.

The condition is when starting the unit up the screen lightens up a little (what I call "gray" screen) but goes no further than that. Holding the power button down gets you the normal 2 beep power down signal and it will usually power down. Hitting the on button again the unit may power up normally or I may have to repeat the process again. On the Geocaching forum they reported they had to remove the battery to get it to shut down.

This problem has occurred in both 4.60 and with my current 4.70 F/W installed.

I'll be calling Garmin on Mon.
  8. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

Yep. Mine was horrible about it. I'd get it mostly when coming out of the car mount but also other times as well. At first Garmin said they were aware of the problem and that they were working on a fix and that the fix would come through updates. Well, mine never was fixed. It got worse to the point where I called and said I'm tired of this. I need it replaced. I just got my replacement back last week.

Oh, meant to say too: the unit is booting up and working behind that white screen. It's just that you can't see anything. If you notice, it will start as a "gray" screen and after it boots fully, it'll go to bright white. That's the best time to shut it off.
  9. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks, sounds like the exact same problem. Yesterday it did it when I inserted it into the Rugged Mount on the bike, my timing for trying to power the unit down was off so it took multiple attempts.

Thanks again.
  10. ebbo

ebbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by ebbo
    Got a Tempe paired up ok, temperature showing in display ok but temperature not being recorded in the tracklog Anyone any ideas please?

Montana 600, software v4.70

No, not really, opening the tracklog in Mapsource there's no temperature showing, I am familiar with temperature logging, I had a 276c with an external temp sensor so know what it should look like. I'm thinking ether it's a setting I've not come across or a bug in v4.70...
  11. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try looking at the Track log in BaseCamp.

Can you send me a copy of one of the tracks in question?
  12. ebbo

ebbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basecamp doesn't run on my ancient PC, message sent via 'Send email to atlas cached' I have the file ready to send on to you, thanks
  13. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM returned!
  14. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, and the two NMEA data wires. I just coiled them all up with the audio plug sticking out a little, zip tied it and stuffed it into a good spot under the faux tank. Most bikes would have to have the coil tied off to something.

Then I just pull the SAE plug apart, pop the mount and RAM clamp off and clamp it to the ball on the other bike, plug in the SAE and I'm good. Takes 30 seconds to swap between bikes. :clap
  15. ebbo

ebbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Atlas, the temperature data I'm told is there but doesn't show in Mapsource, to run Basecamp I need a much faster PC with a much better graphics card, nothing lasts forever does it! :cry
  16. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

Ok, cool. So I don't have to do anything to the two NMEA wires except set them out of the way. (I don't even know what NMEA is. :lol3 )
  17. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    NMEA info :)
  18. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

Ahhh, so I only need it if I drop my bike in a water crossing or giant mud hole again. :rofl

Thanks!
  19. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Bump
  20. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cap them with some shrink tubing or something so they don't short against anything. You could cut them short if you don't plan on getting underwater anytime soon ......:rofl