Gps maps for iceland?

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by zigyphoto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding in Iceland end May-mid June.

Planning on taking my ZUMO 550 and have some questions:

What maps include Iceland? I note the "global map" shows it, but there are no ways to create a new route.

Would it be just as easy to use my iPhone 4s in a waterproof case?

Does anyone have an Iceland digital map file I could borrow or rent?

All suggestions about this appreciated.

thanks

z
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    Jamie,

thanks. I downloaded the file, but am confused about the contents. The one that seems to be the operational one -- since I already have MapSource on my computer is:

[ ] osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip 27-Feb-2014 04:07 9.3M Compressed file that contains a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS.

when I attempt to run it after unzipping it, it tells me to burn to a disk; is that the only way to use it?

thanks,

z
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't used OSM with a Zumo, so you'll have to forgive me, what I believe you need to do is unzip the zip file, and there should be an .IMG file in there (if you don't have extensions turned on, you probably won't know if it's an .IMG file or not). Just copy that .IMG file onto the SD card in your Zumo.

When you turn on your Zumo, you might have to go into some map settings or something to turn the map on, or maybe it'll work right away, I'm not sure.

Another option is to download the .EXE file, run it, and then run Mapsource or Basecamp, whichever you use, and transfer the map to your Zumo.

I've only used OSM a couple of times, so I'm still learning too, but from what I've seen so far, it's good maps.

Jamie
  5. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    jamie,

thanks for that; appreciate your time on this. will check it out. was concerned that since I already have Mapsource, it might derange my current version.

anyone else have any input on this issue?

thanks

z
  6. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    open it into mapsource, it will not mess anything up, you will just have a choice in the map drop down in the upper L corner.
  7. icelandmg066

icelandmg066 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hope you have a nice time here but dont forget the westfjords and the kjolvegur the kjolvegur is a highland road going from north to south i think it would be a good ride....iceland
  8. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery Around The World

Oddometer:
    Locked Down. Me: Leucadia, CA - Bike: Greece
    I'm off to Iceland (2016) in a month and stumbled on this post, found this: http://www.gpsetravelguides.com/iceland-gps-map-garmin.html — not sure if anyone ( @Icelander-DR650 @Icelander @Iceland ) has or used this or familiar with this supplier.

Still mapping out routes and must see places, did you ride the Kjolvegur as recommended by @icelandmg066 ? @Icelander-DR650
  9. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery Around The World

Oddometer:
    Locked Down. Me: Leucadia, CA - Bike: Greece
    Thanks @motoreiter — I used some OSM maps in Africa and Brazil in the past, will look into these. I agree on the Garmin maps, but the GPS travel guides (Link above) I used something similar in China last year and was decent.
  11. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Move along, nothing to see here

Oddometer:
    try OFM(no, thats not a typo, i dont mean OSM).
    those are actually made for cycling but they work well for road riding as well and are much more detailed than the OSM maps.
    theres some issues with routing in urbanized areas but thats not a concern when going to iceland.
    ill be heading there this august and will be using OFM on my 390