victory motorcycles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by daryle105, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That the rider was gay? :eek1
  2. Kelvininin

Kelvininin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A Victory is perfect then. I have a Victory Vision, I take the "turn speed signs" tack and additional 20 mph on and that's the speed I can take the corner 2 up, fully loaded, music blasting, cruse set, with my hands off the bars...

No joke, the Vision is the best handling touring bike I have ever ridden.

I can then swap to my Super Tenere and ride circles around the Vision.

True story, another Vision rider and I were blasting around Mt St. Helen's, came up on some sport bike riders, they waved us passed, tried to hang but couldn't. I know rider skill has a lot to do with it, but unless you are on a fat tire bike, most Victorys handle like fighter jets... Almost, any way, they don't normally leave the ground.
  3. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish Victory would make something smaller, maybe comparable to a Harley Sportster. Something aimed more at first time riders, and blue collar types like me that cannot afford $20,000 bikes. The Sportster would be great if it were not so cramped. I don't see how it would cost much to make the frame just a little bigger, to make it more suitable for larger riders. The price difference between a Sportster and a big twin is huge. I cannot afford a new big twin either.

I've never even sat on one, but from everything I've heard, the VRod is a great bike if not judged as a Harley. Harley types don't tend to like it because it is not traditional (what Harley is all about) and most Japanese riders won't buy it because it has the Harley name. It just might be one of the best deals out there, especially used, if it is judged as a motorcycle rather than a brand name.

And I could certainly ride a Harley without dressing like a pirate. In fact I refuse to dress like a pirate no matter what I'm riding. I have my own identity, I don't need to borrow one.
  5. Kelvininin

Oddometer:

Why buy new? Victory has proven itself to be well made, I would not hesitate to pickup a mid 2000's Kingpin or Vegas. They are big bikes but easy enough to handle.
  6. 22224

22224 It matters not

Oddometer:
    I just had my first breakdown on my Cross Roads. I'm pretty sure I knocked one of the starter clutches out of it yesterday. I guess it's my fault for wanting to go ride when it was a little cold out.

It's under warranty, so i'm not sweating it too much. Just have to round up a truck and trailer to get it to the shop.

You ride the hell out of the Victory's. I'm impressed.

I've really tried with mine. It handles great for a big bike. Once I got a better seat, I can ride it all day. I'm not crazy about the shifting still.

This will be most likely the only Victory I buy, but most of that is because i'm just not feeling the whole bagger/cruiser thing.
  7. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:

UT scenic highway 12 that connects those to parks is one of the most spectacular roads in the country.
  8. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I agree!!
    My route was I-70 to 24 to 12 to 89 to 9. One of my favorites road trips.
    Highway 128 from I-70 to Moab is also an amazing ride.

9. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Victorys are waaay undervalued used, and the Vegas and Kingpin are reliable, easily maintained, good handling cruisers.
  10. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I found a couple of 2005 Victory Vegas style bikes on Craigslist for $6500, but they are more for show and boulevard cruising. They would need passenger seats, a passenger backrest/luggage rack, and saddlebags for touring. You would also need to be able to use a tank bag. So many cruisers use tank mounted instruments with huge dash panels these days, making that impossible. I can't tell if these bikes do or not. I also found a couple of '99s that would make great touring cruisers, but they still had a few bugs, and Victory does not make parts for them anymore.
  11. Kelvininin

Oddometer:
    A lot of miss information.

Shoot for anything with a freedom motor. The freedom motor has all the early bugs fixed, which where all in the transmission. If you look hard enough you can find a 2003 - 2005 TC with a freedom motor, bags, ect in the mid $4K range.

As for the rest of the Vic lineup, none of the bikes have tank mounted instruments. The only victory that won't accept a tank bag is the Vision.

I think you already have your mind made up on a HD, you just don't seem to be up to speed on many of the other makers.

As far as the the boulevard cruising comment, after I was divorced I replaced the passenger seat with a luggage rack on my 05 Kingpin, and rode that thing all over the west. Shore days for me where 500 miles. That's a hell of a long boulevard.
  12. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Like this?

[​IMG]
  13. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2010 Hammer 8-ball, ready for summer. Memphis Shades Batwing with Spoiler shield, deflectors, and Hardstreet Sixer bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm digging the look and the bags man! Nice bike fore sure :wink:
  15. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Very nice! That's probably the best looking Victory I've seen.
  16. Mattbastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

I got a small bit of guff for doing that to a Hammer on one of the Victory forums, but I said "F.U." :1drink

When I first bought it I can see why most people only buy them for bar hoppin'. With these mods and the Progressive shock it's totally comfortable anywhere, even going across state lines.
  17. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I'm not a cruiser guy, but I'd ride that. Very clean, very functional. :clap I really love the way the Victory V-twin looks -- SO much cleaner than the HD mill in my eyes. Also diggin' the USD forks up front.
  18. Jamming

Jamming Texas Bound

Oddometer:

That looks awesome! How's the batwing work? A buddy of mine has a Cross Roads and wants that shield butt can't find anyone who uses it.
  19. Mattbastard

Oddometer:
    The Batwing with the Spoiler shield is the best for air flow IMO. I've tried regular shields, and that same batwing with a standard shield and all of them had either a bunch of buffering (standard shield) or some buffering (normal Batwing shield). The spoiler moved the air "beam" above my head a good 4". I'm actually going to get the 9" spoiler this year cause I want a dead calm ride like on my ST1300. The deflectors redirect wind off my chest. When it's warm it's nice. When it gets cold it'll suck the heat right out of you, hence the winter use of them.
  20. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I didn't know Victory made police motorcycles. I pulled into a convenience store today, and a cop on a Victory pulled in right beside me. Now normally I don't talk to cops because I hate cops, but I just had to ask how he liked the Victory, and he said he loved it. I work for another city close by, and our cops all have ST1300s and BMWs, and hate them. Typical sport bike riding position, low bars and rearsets. Gets old in a hurry on an 8 hour shift. They loved the old KZ1000P, with it's upright riding position. I noticed the Victory had pretty much the same riding position as the old Kawasaki. I don't know how fast a Victory is, but after several accident deaths cops here are no longer allowed to pursue anyone above a certain speed. So far it looks like the Victory might be the best cop bike out there.