Honda Deauville (NT700V) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Towjam, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had anyone bought the large pannier lids? Looking to get a set for my wife's bike.
  2. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couple more images from my wanderings:

High in the Sierras:

[​IMG]

A popular photo stop:

[​IMG]

Another mountain ride:

[​IMG]

Lonely desert road:

[​IMG]
  3. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few folks over here have:

http://www.nt-owners.org/

No one in the U.S. sells them that I know of. Some folks have ordered them from European sources, but they are pricey!
  4. Matt 82

Matt 82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    None of your pictures are working. You are hotlinking, apparently.
  5. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops, trying again:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  6. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though Big Red isn't importing the NT, there are still new ones around. As Androu said, we've got a good NT Forum at nt-owners.com.

I'm up to about 54,000 miles on my '10 model and I'm down to 50 days till retirement. A month after that an NT-riding friend and I will be in Spearfish for the NT/ST-Owners Club National Rally and then leave for Alaska, the Four Corners Ride, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador.
  7. ptarman

Oddometer:
    David Silver Spares' US Distribution Center (www.davidsilverspares.com) has them.

They've got the Spangle Silver for the 2010 ABS (or non-ABS) version for $375 and the Pearl Concours Black for the '11 version for $395.

When I ordered my first set of big lids, I got them from Honda of Bournemouth in the UK and paid closer to $600 by the time I paid shipping. David Silver Spares only charges $17 shipping from their US warehouse. They wait till they fill a shipping container in the UK to get things over here and then can cut way down on shipping costs.
  8. ptarman

Oddometer:
    Androu,

Who are the folks on the other NTs in your pictures?
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is who I was going to order them from and wife's bike is silver. I suspect my shipping may be a bit higher than 17 dollars.

When are you and your friend coming to Alaska? I guy rode an NT to Dust 2 Dawson last year. If you end up in Anchorage you got a place to stay. Hotels around here in the summer are 150+ a night.
  10. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil. One of them is your buddy Rick who rode out from Vegas to meet up and ride around Death Valley and the Sierras with some of us So Cal NT owners from the forum.
  11. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my NT, but the one thing it's not good at, that I'm craving lately, is dirt. There are a lot of really cool dirt roads and trails around here that I must explore, so some sort of dual sport is definitely in my future.
  12. ptarman

Oddometer:
    I thought that looked like him in the banana suit. :-)
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Loving my Tiger. :deal

[​IMG]

Perfect for this type of exploring...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. ptarman

Oddometer:
    It's a dead cinch that I wouldn't want to ride an NT on those roads!

But, then, I wouldn't want to ride a Tiger on those roads either -- not with my knees.
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well with the 150/70-17 rear you can mount any adventure tire on the rear and Conti now makes the TKC 80 in 120/70-17 for the front. TKC 80 rear is about a 3k mile tire while the front is good for 7k miles or more. So there is the ability for some dirt fun.
  16. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tires would help for sure, but the real shortcomings (besides my mediocre riding skills) are the suspension and small front wheel. I've made my way carefully down dirt roads out here, but we have a lot of washboard and the poor NT feels like it's really taking a beating. Also a lot of the surfaces change rapidly, from hard pack to rocks, to soft sand and back again. this is challenging on any bike, but more so on a bike that's not really made for it.
  17. Androu

Androu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've definitely been considering the Tiger 800XC. I really need to ride one I guess. I'd love to able to run down the highway for a few hours, then just turn down a dirt trail and explore the desert.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    As you can see from my first picture I suck at sand. Shouldn't really be held against the Tiger. If you really want to see what a Tiger can do in capable hands...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aTvYAcJOx3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd agree about the limitations of the NT. Sure it can do gravel roads fine, heck I used to ride a lot of gravel on my Kawasaki MeanStreak cruiser with all it 3 1/2" of suspension. It did fine until as you mentioned I'd hit washboard, then you simply have to slow down to a walking pace just to survive it. On my DR I can cruise at 40-50MPH depending on the washboard. Get it timed right and you're just skimming the tops and it's actually pretty smooth. Get it wrong and it all goes sideways pretty quick. :deal
  19. gssurfer

gssurfer TravelsByGregAry

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a set for mine. Happy with them so far, it's nice to be able to store my full face helmet there...

20. gssurfer

gssurfer TravelsByGregAry

Oddometer:
    Here is another pic I took this past week while out and about trying to get lost :D
    [​IMG]