Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. BusinessSocks

BusinessSocks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, it reads as if it were zeroed at whatever number the needle pointed to when the engine stopped running. Then it decides to change the number it points to when turned off, so it's hard to say, well it's pointing at 1500 so I'll just subtract 1500 from whatever it reads at any point today.

Does that make sense?
  2. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    http://www.jacklilley.com/ specialize in posting worldwide. Main Triumph dealer in SW London.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I agree,something creative needs to happen,but what? Carrying a pocketfull of spokes would be good, if they can be found. We used to wire spokes together where they crossed back in the day on old dirt bikes,it was supposed to strengthen them.
    Maybe something as crude as fitting an old streetbike wheel of some sort with homemade spacers and rigging the drum brake to work some how. Or carrying on with ft brake only. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
  4. MCole

MCole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gave them a call earlier today as I've ordered from them before to the States and found them extremely helpful. They have the spokes in stock and could have them here in 3-4 days. I'll know tomorrow whether this wheel shop in Thessaloniki can fashion the spokes themselves, the mechanics seem to think they can, if not I'll order spokes from the UK and wait it out.

Footdragger, I've heard of people wiring spokes together to prevent them from flailing around when they break and I definately plan on doing that. One of the broken spokes hit the brake caliper, launching it into the inner tube and causing the flat. That would have probably been prevented if they'd been wired together. A couple of riders stopped and lended a hand though with fixing the flat which was very nice.
  5. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I still wire the spokes on a few of my bikes (including the Scrambler). It isn't a guarantee but usually can prevent a wayward broken spoke from inflicting further damage. More often these days I see dirtbike riders using ty-wraps instead of wire. I have no idea if it works as well or perhaps better but it certainly would be faster to do.
    What I have no idea about is IF wiring the spokes actually helps spread the load and thusly reduce breakage to begin with. With todays metal technology it would seem that breaking a spoke in normal use would indicate a design flaw. And when the only spokes you hear about breaking all come from one brand ........... :huh

Bruce
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    One look at the rear spoke design on a Triumph vintage styled twin and you know they werent thinking much when they built it,straight pull spokes have been in use since the early 90's on dirt bikes where spokes are still the norm for all of them. Good quality tie wraps would work fine for tieing spokes together,the chinese tie wraps commonly sold in bulk break from the slightest pull on them. It probably doesnt strengthen them any but stops the flailing around of broken spokes.
    Im thinking a 500 lb + load wt short travel twin puts a lot of abuse into the wheels.
  7. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    First, check that it's properly plugged in. Second, if it is, send it back coz it's broke.
  8. MCole

MCole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, I'm not expecting it to take any load off the spokes but rather just prevent a broken spoke from catching the brake caliper or causing a flat.
  9. CatCow

CatCow Crazy Trucker Dude

Oddometer:
    Just got my Barkbusters from Twisted Throttle today, and couldn't wait to get them on - just had to figure out how to make them work! The standard 7/8" kit doesn't really fit the ends of the bar - the two items included are either two small or too large in diameter. After reading Grizzlybear's post about installing them, it seemed pretty easy - just had to get some parts. I ended up drilling out and tapping the existing inserts from the bar-end weights to 8x1.25 to match the BB screws, and while I saw some interesting bushings on McMaster-Carr's website, a local store only came up with some 5/16" shaft collars that seem to work OK - just needed to use two per side as spacers. One hour(not including the trip to the store for the tap and spacers) and a broken Harbor Freight tap holder later, I haz Barkbusters! The only tricky spots were previous items - I had to rotate the banjo bolt for the brake lever to get the bar clamp on because I had moved it inboard so I could mount a throttle lock, and for some stupid reason I had mounted a helmet lock on the other side in the exact spot the bar clamp wanted. Fortunately it slid up the bar a bit, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it with the BBs in the way - so I guess I'll have to drill out the security screws that hold it on.

[​IMG]

Now I'm just waiting for the TriumphTwinPower rear brake bracket and a Hepco Becker luggage rack to ship and I should be done with the mods for a while :lol3 (OK, I need the engine bars and skid plate too...)
  10. NONAME13

NONAME13 NONAME13

Oddometer:
    Looks great I wanted to do the same thing allways loved Barkbusters after trying all kinds of different set ups I went with the tiger hand guards easy no problems on in minutes use what ever you have for a cheap spacer. Urathane bushings work good you can use skateboard bushings from a set of trucks or auto supply shops have all kinds of them and they may even keep the vibes down.
  11. sirclive

sirclive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice solution . are those KTM mirrors?
  12. sirclive

sirclive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That bend Triumph put in the spokes is an obvious weak point,they used to do dumb stuff like that on old bikes.[/QUOTE]

A lot of folks have safety wired the safety wired the spokes where they cross
    just in case.

Should work until you can get somewhere.

Try getting a whole used wheel from Jack Lilley's meantime like someone said.

They are pretty amazing.
  13. sirclive

sirclive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes . safety wire the spokes where they cross and try Jack Lilley's for a whole used wheel or a bunch of spokes.
  14. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting video...
    In this amazing video a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air and a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu are test crashed. Will the 1959 vehicle made with heavy steel fare better in the crash or will it be the 2009 Malibu? Watch this short video on the National Highway Institute's website to find out.
    :eek1

<o:p><A href="http://www.iihs.org/video.aspx/info/50thcrash" target=_blank>http://www.iihs.org/video.aspx/info/50thcrash</o:p>
  15. MCole

MCole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greece, a model of efficiency?!

It is hard to believe but my wheel was sent to Thessaloniki, 100 miles away, and returned repaired to me the next day. Pretty impressive considering none of the Triumph dealerships had the spokes in stock. To be honest I'm not even sure where exactly the wheel was sent, it sounds like to a wheel shop where they made the spokes to replace the broken ones and tested the other spokes. I know I couldn't have gotten it repaired that fast in New York, the price was extremely reasonable too. Not too bad considering the mechanic and I had to communicate through sign language :D

Next stop Turkey. Other than these broken spokes my Scrambler has been holding up extremely well, the thing hasn't let me down in over 16,000 miles. I plan to put around 10,000 miles on it on this trip alone from Frankfurt, Germany to the Red Sea through the Balkans, Turkey, Syria, Jordan and back to Paris.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Wow! That sounds like a Ted Simon story,things just seem to work out when your out traveling. Pretty dang cool! It took me 3 weeks just to get a tank bag from Triumph here.
    Have a great rest of your trip!
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That is one dead dummy driving the Bel Air,almost had the Malibu in his lap. Surprising a modern plastic and thin tin car would bash in an old heavy iron car.
  18. BusinessSocks

BusinessSocks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strangest thing, it was pointing at 1500 when I began my hour long ride yesterday afternoon. When I stopped for gas 15 minutes in, I noticed the tach had begun to operate normally again.

That's great news seeing as how the company I bought it from wouldn't exchange it because it had been used. Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to work.
  19. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    Kind of throws the "big solid car" theory out the window. The injuries from the steering wheel were enough to turn my stomach.
  20. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    can we get some pics in here. they're getting slimmer and slimmer to come by, and I miss them :cry