RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rixrider

Rixrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks bud. Don't read it to much.. you might quit your job and travel. :deal

Curried crab sounds amazing! I'll look you up. Asia is a must. Central Asia is awesome. I'll go back.
  3. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Matsuyama.
    October 18th - 23rd.
    I new I needed a new radiator so I began searching before I got to Masuyama. As it turned out, KTM Japan could not find me one locally. They said it would be a week before I could get one from Austria. I emailed KTMmitch and TorqueRacing in the UK. They had a spare laying around they said I could buy from them. They sent it on Friday and it arrived on Tuesday. I was not planning on staying at Takayuki's house over that weekend because he was going on a motorcycle trip with a few of his friends. But as it turns out, it was actually good for both of us. I looked after his dog for a few days while he was gone. So for 2 days, 3 or 4 times a day I'd walk Chappy.

[​IMG]
    Chappy

[​IMG]
    Takayuki in his bar "Indy Hill"

[​IMG]
    Matsuyama Castle.

Takayuki let me use his Super Cub 90 for parts runs and such. I worked on the bike a lot since I had the time waiting for the radiator. I made a switch panel for the top clamp and rewired/regrounded some of the charging system. I also found a few spots in my wiring harness that needed to be protected from rubbing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last few days Takayuki was back, we went out every night. Since he was a bar owner, he knew many other bar owners in Matsuyama. There was even a "Bar Noah".

[​IMG]
    At a train station. I thought these guys realy look like criminals.

[​IMG]
    Someone was sleepy.

[​IMG]
    Just great.

[​IMG]
    ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Let's Vitamin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure this has noting to do with weed. But the sign was interesting.

[​IMG]
    On the right is Shinei who owns a sweet custom shop called "DuLuck Motorcycles" He tig welded the crack in my exhaust and didn't charge me a dime.

[​IMG]
    Late night ramen for the win.

[​IMG]
    Spicy creamy ramen. So good.

Takayki also had some sweet motorcycles. 9 in total I think.
    [​IMG]
    His GS1000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    His race Buell and Husky.

[​IMG]
    His old Harley.

He was huge into the American Hotrod/rocker/rockabilly/custom scene and it showed at his bar. I felt at home.
    [​IMG]
    They were pretty stoked when I told them I have been to the Pendelton Round-up. I promised I'd send him a bottle of Pendalton when I got the chance so he could try it. One of my favorite whiskeys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally on Tuesday the 22nd, my Radiator arrived. Its funny that I say "finally". 4 days from the UK to Japan and much cheaper then buying it in Japan. No worries. I had to fix the fan shroud. This was the reason the radiator failed in the first place. The fan shroud has 2 tabs on the bottom and a bolt on top that keep the fan/shroud in place on the radiator. Vibration had basically killed the 2 tabs on the bottom so there was nothing keeping the shroud from vibrating on the fins of the radiator and sooner or later.. it was destine to fail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fix. I also cut a rubber hose and put it on the edge of the fan shroud. I had done this before also, but it came off. Glue is key.

[​IMG]
    MN plate with a Japan sticker :)

[​IMG]
    DuLuck cycles.

[​IMG]
    My welded exhaust.

[​IMG]
    They said a girl owns this bike. I'd like to meet her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One more country on the fairing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Soon I was loaded up and ready to get back on the road. Of coarse as soon as I rolled the bike out of the garage, it started to rain again.
  4. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank the Lord, U've posted an update - I thought I was doomed to wander in JM, while u were idling - mas por favor
  5. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The way back to Tokyo
    With the bike back together, we decided the best way for me to make it to the MotoGP north of Tokyo, on time, was to ride the ferry from Tokushima to Tokyo. So I rode from Matsuyama to Tokushima in the rain and got a hotel. In the morning I went to the ferry. It cost me about $150 and took about 20 hours. But riding expressway would have been more expensive. Every time I ride a ferry, I think the bike will fall over. This wasn't an exception. Especially since the majority of the time we were on the water, we were in a Typhoon. Truth be told, I would rather be dry in a rocking boat then riding 600 km in the driving rain.

[​IMG]
    Don't do any of this stuff.

The boat arrived in Tokyo just after light on Friday and I headed north. It was raining all morning so I wasn't really feeling camping at the MotoGP in the rain. Especially if it was going to be canceled from the Typhoon. So I stayed in a hotel in Tsukuda where I had stayed before. I thought it would also be a good opportunity to catch up with my friend Ale again.

On Saturday morning it was raining hard so I stayed another day inside. As it turns out, the MotoGP didn't run the normal practices so I wasn't missing much. They ran a few laps in the afternoon in the wet but that was it.

On Sunday morning I woke up early and got on the road. By 9:00 I was at Motegi and parking the moto among what seemed like 10,000 other bikes. At first I was worried about my bags and helmet but then I looked around and saw that almost EVERYONE else was leaving their helmets on the handlebars like me. This country really is breading bad habits for me. I had a friend of a friend who works for Honda HRC so he had pit passes for me. The problem was, I didn't have a phone so there was no way to figure out the meeting place. I never found him for the pit pass, but we would end up meeting in Tokyo a few time to discuss Honda motorcycles, travel and racing. I scalped a $120 ticket for $50. So not to bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I caught the end of the Moto2 practice and all 3 races. The Moto 3 was interesting because these bikes are running a tuned 250cc 4stroke KTM single pumping out 50 hp. These things are loud as hell. And since they are all running basically the same bikes, its all about the rider instead of the bike. It was very fun to watch. Also, since these bike don't have much for electronics (traction control), they got squirly in the corners often. There were a few interesting downs that you don't see with the MotoGP bikes. There are some sweet pictures here of the assembly line for the KTM Moto3 bikes. derestricted.com/motorcycles/moto3-production-racer-assembly-line

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Woops.

The Moto2 was my favorite to watch. These bikes are all running a 600cc Honda 4 cylinder. They also don't have much for electronics. I believe there is a limit of 600 pounds that can be spent on the engine management. Pol Espargaro was great fun to watch. He was backing it into almost every corner and getting everything he could out of that bike.

[​IMG]

MotoGP had a few interesting moments but it was not as exciting as the Moto2. I liked hearing all the different motor configurations but the racing action was not as good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a great time walking through all the bikes on the way back to my moto. Just as I suspected, everything I left at my bike was sill there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Future racers.

[​IMG]
    Sweet super single racer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dudes checking out Katriana's backside.

If you ever find yourself at Motegi, you must go into the Honda Collection Hall. It was impressive. So many cool old honda bikes. The race bikes are the best though. Honda used to try new and innovative things in racing and it showed in the bikes... but for a while it seems like they have been skating by. Now it looks like HRC has brought people from the MotoGP side into the Dakar development. Is anyone else excited for the 2014 Dakar? I know I am. KTM, Honda and even Yamaha have a shot this year. Back to the old bikes. You see just about everything imaginable here. And its awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A Honda 50. My first bike was a Honda CT70 but they didn't have one on display.

[​IMG]
    This bike sells on auction for over $100,000.

[​IMG]
    Oval piston V4. You're crazy Honda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Moto GP V5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looks a lot like it could be in the Motoguzzi museum.

[​IMG]
    125cc 2 cyclender. 23Hp @ 14,000 rpm. 1961.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RC166. I love this bike.

[​IMG]
    250cc 6 cylinder.

[​IMG]
    I could plug one carb with a thumb if I wanted. So small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sweet flat tracker. Had a motor setup similar to the Harley XR750.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2stroke Dakar bike.

[​IMG]
    Best Honda adventure bike ever built. NXR 750.

[​IMG]
    WTF Honda?!?! 128 kg in 1989 you won the Dakar. Why did every adventure bike you ever built turn into a pig compared to this. This bike is lighter then my 690!

[​IMG]
    funny place for a kickstart

[​IMG]
    The "praying mantis"

[​IMG]
    I will always maintain, this is one of the best looking offroad bikes honda ever made.

[​IMG]
    I like the look of this little guy.

[​IMG]
    The original sideXside?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Evolution of Asimo

[​IMG]
    Asimo is short. Like less then 4 feet tall.

[​IMG]
    And one more NSR50. I want one of these also.
    gbjeppm likes this.
  6. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Just Awesome Noah..

Killer photos..:bow
  7. Crossed-up

Crossed-up Pangaman

Oddometer:
    Thank you for 3 brilliant updates in such a short time. Awesome!
  8. ccaarmerciill

ccaarmerciill Talk Story

Oddometer:
    These recent posts make me realize I need to go back to Japan. Pocari Sweat! better than Powerade haha!

I wish I had rented a bike while I was there, I instead used their very effective public transportation to get around, but that got in the way of "real" exploring.

I too noticed how absolutely clean it was there... and you never get thirsty since there are drink machines every 10 feet. One thing I found odd is how clean it is there, yet there are very few garbage/ recycling cans. I always found myself carrying my garbage for a long time before I could toss it.
    AbeWhat likes this.
  9. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is normal...

for those of us in Japan :D
  10. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Great Racer (world Champ) from Canada...
    Super update per usual Noah.

YK
  11. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Honda museum looks wonderful. Good stuff as always.
  12. Padre

Padre Distant Spot on a Sandbar

Oddometer:
    Noah,

Great report! If you ever stop, this is going to be a tough book to put down! I was wondering if you take notes while you travel. You seem to be able to recall so much detail, and I know you are writing days, maybe weeks, afterward. How do you do it?

Also a question about the roads in Japan. Did you find, in the twisties, that there was enough shoulder room to pull over for pictures? In the more scenic spots were there any look outs? If you were traveling with a tripod, would you have had enough room to set up. Just curious for future reference.

Again, thanks for being so thorough, and for always thinking of your readers!
  13. blackcaps

blackcaps Do it alone

Oddometer:
    That clearly inspired Yamaha for it's XT 500.
  14. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This, and watching Tampopo last night, has made me hungry for ramen and a visit to Japan. Awesome.
  15. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Great update Noah!
    Thanks for taking the time.
    Looking forward to your next "installment"
    :clap:clap:clap
  16. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Great update Noah! That pic of the Elsinore and the little 50 brought back memories.

On a camping trip with my brother when the Elsinore first came out. A couple of guys were doing a photo shoot making big power slides with big roosts. Sitting there on my mini-trail 50 awestruck. My 50 had a different frame from the one in the pic, tubular steel, that frame looks similar to the Trail-70's frame. Never saw one like that.

I would like to see the chick that rides that Harley too.. she has to be one rad lady.. :evil

btw.. his old Harley pic is probably a late '80s or early '90s Heritage Softail. I had the exact same bike ('93), configured almost identical. Slightly different solo seat and 2 into 1 fishtail instead of 2 into 2.

Looking forward to you SE Asia travels. SE Asia has grown on me (Philippines). Be Safe!
  17. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    Noah,

Your pictures of Japan are so interesting! Thank you!:clap

The Honda Hall looks amazing! Noah...Honda is Honda. Unbeatable quality and R&D!
    I had few mopeds(SH50,Vision,DIO GP) in the eary '90 and bikes afterwards (CBR600, CBR954, NX650Dominator, XR650L). Their building quality is just amazing. It is just a shame that their later bikes have "less character" compared to the old one and to some of the European brands. I am waiting for the new Africa Twin 750 and more HRC products...

Ciao

Nic
  18. Kandykillz

Kandykillz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for another update!

For several months i'm completely glued to it and waiting for update after update.

Keep riding safe!
    :thumb
  19. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get Tampopo from? Is it on dvd or tape? Haven't seen it for maybe 25 or more years but I still remember it - great film.
  20. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Netflix. can't stream it, unfortunately.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.