Honda 305 Superhawk

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by jeep44, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was my 1966 305 Superhawk, owned when I was but a lad in my early 20's. I toured for an entire summer on it and when all the touring gear was removed it could run away from most of the Brit bikes of the day.
    It remains my favorite of all the bikes I've owned.

[​IMG]

And, let's not forget a rather famous Superhawk owner.

[​IMG]
  2. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    I read that book many years ago-I always assumed he was writing about a BMW. I was more than a little surprised to learn he was actually writing about this bike.:lol3
  3. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    I was recently given a couple of dismantled 305 Supersports. I haven't yet figured out what is there and what isn't, but one question I do have is- what model year or market of the 305 Supersports came with indicators as stock fitment?
  4. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I don't believe turn signals were required on motorcycles in the US until the '73 model year.
  5. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure of the requirement year either, but my '72 Kaw H2 had factory turn indicators.
  6. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    1968 is the first year I remember seeing turn signals on U.S. Hondas.
  7. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    The first few chapters of the book covered Mr. Pirsig's friend John and John's wife who were on the trip travelling two-up on a BMW. John was featured as a technophobe, always choking the bike to start even when already warm because that's what he thinks he was told to do.
  8. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    I think original OEM flat bar handlebars look much better than the Scrambler bars that are on your bike presently.

Under normal conditions, it is very difficult to get the bike in neutral while running. Makes for interesting theater at intersections cuz you can't take your hand off the clutch. :thumb
  9. Turbodog1000

Turbodog1000 Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    Real motorcycles don't have turn signals, kill switches, a brake light switch for the hand brake, a convenient ignition switch or a headlight / tail light brighter than two candles held close together in the wind.

My CB77 Superhawk is 50 years old this year, and you really learn to appreciate something as simple as a turn signal. Intersections take on a new challenge taking a hand off the bars to make a hand signal that you hope the big SUV on her cell phone will notice. (Dealing with one handed intersection loose gravel adds to the retro feel!)

That said, the bike is a lot of fun to ride, I get a :thumb from someone just about every time I take it out.

P.S. Disc brakes are for Pussies!
  10. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    I have a number of bikes and cars with no turn signals-these days, I don't think most drivers even understand the hand signals at all-they think you are waving or something.
  11. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's gonna be a great fun little run around bike. Super simple reliable tech
    Had to laugh at "(the PO is still looking for the title)"
    No title seems to be an all too common syndrome among small bore Honda owners/sellers.
  12. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    Well, he claims he has it around somewhere-we'll see. Anyway, it's not too difficult to get a new one here in Michigan.
    Jonniedee likes this.
  13. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    A small update: I brought this bike home on Monday, before yet another snow storm hit us. The PO told me the engine was stuck, and after a few pokes at the (forward-working) kickstarter, I thought so, too. But once I got the engine side covers and the electric starter off, the engine turned over freely-so that's a positive development. This thing spent most of its life in a shed-the (original?) Bridgestone tires look like new-no cracks at all, good tread-but of course I won't use them. Right now, I'm debating with myself: Do I give this thing a good cleaning, replace the seals and gaskets, and run it as is, or do I go the Full Restoration route? I've already discovered that Japanese chrome rims aren't the same as British chrome rims. They are mildly rusted from being in an unheated shed for years, but the chrome on these Honda rims is flaking off. I've had British rims that looked much worse, but cleaned up to like-new condition.
  14. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    Got it stripped down quite a bit so far.

[​IMG]
  15. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Because I'm picking this one up tomorrow...
    [​IMG]
  16. Turbodog1000

Oddometer:
    Nice find! Tell us more. What year? does it run? Is it locked up?

I had my 1964 Superhawk out for a ride today, I always get a few thumbs up & smiles.
  17. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! I took possession of a 1966 CB77 tonight. Turns over, audible compression, looks all there except bad cables and cracked carb boots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    (Seat and extra tank were in the car during pictures)
  19. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Don't ask me why but back in 68 I traded my 305 Superhawk for a Parilla Scrambler????:cry
  20. Turbodog1000

Oddometer:
    I was over at the Mid Ohio Vintage Bike Swap meet at Lexington OH a couple of weeks ago, and saw a Honda Dream with saddle bags made from a Superhawk gas tank cut in half. :eek1