KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. whozaberg

whozaberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can understand rich conditions with EFI, but that maybe to account for accelerator pump delays and bogging.Carb pumps are instant due to being of a mechanical nature. I would be interested to see if there is a difference in injector pulse duration when cranking to start a hot engine as opposed to idling.
  2. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you give us a link to the system you recommend----thanks.
  5. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    It's the same rear taillight/license plate mount that came on all the 6 days edition XC-W's here in The States (might be a little easier for you to look-up).
  6. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect. Thanks guys.
  9. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just installed the Sicass Racing tailight that looks very similar to the Tusk one shown. It works great and mates to the stock bolt locations. They are a little bit more than the Tusk.
  10. Krazyjohnny

Oddometer:
    What is everyone running for oil in their 530s? This is my first KTM and I would like to know the tips and tricks to keep this 08' around for a while. I have done the initial fluids change since receipt of the bike and used the Motorex stuff as shown in the manual. I could not get the gear box screen out of the bottom of the case. The engine one was a chore, but did not have any stuff on it.
  11. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a loaded question. Religion, Politics and Oil discussions will get you in big trouble :deal

Here's my 2 Cents. For years I've ran Mobile-1 15-50W for high performance engines (the bottle with the race flags on the bottom corner) in all my bikes. One of the bike mags did a oil shootout years ago where they sent a bunch of oils out for anaylsis, the Mobile-1 15-50W was one of a couple auto oils that they included in the shootout. The results showed it VERY similar to all the bike oils with extra anti-wear, corrosion additives etc.

Most of the guys I ride with have been running that oil as well with excellent results. I chose it because it was a proven oil, cheap ($23 per 5 quart container at WalMart), and available everywhere (I like oil I can easily get when on distance trips and don't like mixing brands). Any modern properly rated oil will be fine...you just don't read about oil related failures any more. Pick which ever oil gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside and go with it :D

Hodakaguy
  12. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    No religion or politics involved. Change your oil often, every ride and measure it. Your concern shouldn't be oil breakdown--it's the dirt & moisture that gets in that will cost you $. I agree Mobil 1 15-50 is the cheapest synthetic and any 10-40 oil will do for short 1 day rides. JASO MA spec'd oil or gear oil in the trans will do.

By the way 2, I finished the Corduroy Enduro on my second try, both aboard the 530. Only 1 of 2 530's entered that I know of. It's more than a dualsport. My riding has come a long way in 2 years since the KLR was replaced:clap
  13. Enecosse

Enecosse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, first post really enjoyed this thread. If you have a problem starting due hot engine rich mixture and also some other situations an old trick is to turn the fuel off, press the starter, when the engine starts turn the fuel on. This from my days of riding old British bikes and Amal carbs.
  14. Krazyjohnny

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the input on the oil. I loike the Mobil 1 stuff because it is readily available and I can buy it in a large container. The Motorex stuff was $75 (Ouch!) a gallon sized jug at Cycle Gear. I want to run the same oil in all of my stuff because I just want to keep things as simple as possible. I watched the video of the oil change on the HT cooler and noticed she used Rotella T. That is what I have used in my diesel truck for the past 12 years and never done any more to that truck than change oils and wear items. So seeing that I just knew there were some options I should research. Thanks for all of your insight and knowledge. Hopefully I can return some of that as I learn some more.
  15. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    I have had similar experience...I think hitting the starter with choke out with the fuel off is my actual recipe...FWIW
  16. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the tail light kit that's also known as the European Tail Light Kit?
  17. Krazyjohnny

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to add some exhaust wrap to my header so I lessen the chances of burning my self. Has anyone done this or have any recommendations for or against it?
  18. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    I'd probably go with a guard of some type to toughen it up as they can get dented- as mine is. The guard will probably be a bit lower temp.
  19. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard some discussion that a header pipe that is wrapped does not last as long. Corrodes faster I heard.

steve
  20. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:

I like the sicass one too. Nice and bright. Although I had one that I used for a year with maybe 20 days of riding. Some of it in the rain. That tail light somehow flooded and quit working. I liked the looks well enough that I paid full price for a 2nd tail light. We will see how it goes. Just coming into the rainy season.

steve