Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

So, the secure parking is NOT in the lot next door but actually in the hotel lobby?.

The DF is on my route this year as well as some high altitude mushroom picking and sheep chasing with MikeMike and the Mystery Rider

Your considerable knowledge of toilets and toilet seats has inspired me to make toilet seats the theme of my MX trip this year. Pictures to follow :D
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'll agree with Sjoerd Bakker's comment. Don't do the internet thing. If your bike is stolen or wrecked between the time you do the online thing and get to the border you might have to jump through major hoops get your deposit back and be able to get a new permit. The risk of this is quite small but as Sjoerd Bakker says, it is so easy either when you enter Mexico or In La Paz. I crossed at Mexicali 3 years ago. Simple, just cross at the truck gate, well to the east of the downtown gate. There was no Banjercito downtown 3 years ago.

There is good general info here on my website though most of it is specific to crossing into Sonora. Bien Viaje
    http://www.losarcossonora.com/index.php/thehotel/maps/attheborder
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK so its not that cheap; I've walked by that place on Calle Uruguay on the way to Danubio and I'll have to try it.
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fast and reliable.

Choose whatever method floats your boat, but I've had nothing but complete success with TVIPs ordered online, and will continue to get them that way.

As to the other comment above about possibly wrecking your bike when you've already obtained your TVIP online, well, people who sit there and worry about that kind of thing aren't going to head for the border anyway.
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    To the comments about always finding the cheap accommodations at every turn: its fun and noble to be able to travel on the cheap, but sometimes a nice place is worth the expense.

Jimmex suggested the Hotel Santa Fe in Puerto Escondido and I'm glad he did. We could have found any number of cheaper places but that locale was a true treat and IMHO worth the money.

Yes, absolutely there is a way to travel Mexico and leave your tent at home and make virtually every night's stay safe, comfortable and serviceable. It is nice to spend some extra cash IMHO only now and then to crank it up a few notches. The good thing is that there are usually always choices from A to Z and its up to you how you want to travel.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Ok Trice, It works for you and many others but maybe not everyone. I just used the previous examples because my friend rolled his truck just north of the border on the way down last year and had a wonderful paper chase experience lasting 6 months to get it clear. So other possibilities, if you boss cancels your vacation, you get sick, you significant other needs you at home or your gerbil needs a hysterectomy: You can't go. But now you still have to get the bike to the border to clear the permit. The Banjercito folks have to see it and get a photo of the VIN. I don't know about DCstrom but if you are not a man of leisure and fully in control of your time like me, :rofl, this could be a real hassle. Sh*t happens to all of us and even if bikes don't get wrecked, sometimes plans do.
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    If one wanted to begin to imagine all the things that could go wrong, might as well get several bottles of merlot, get with friends who think the same way, and make a party out of it.
  8. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Shit does happen. Last year at Allende I had a major seniors moment and failed to get my credit card PIN correct three times in a row. Lock out :eek1:cry

Fortunately I had $400US cash or else I would have been delayed for some time. The year before I got my TVIP online. Took three days from Mexico City to Canada :thumb

PS I'll take and some memory lessons and continue getting my TVIP at the border
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    That's certainly not the point Trice. I feel that people need to be aware of the possibility because it could bite them. We talk on this thread about mitigating risk by knowing the facts about Mexico. I doubt many people realize that this anomaly in the TVIP process exists. But I'm always up for a good bottle of Merlot or better, some of the local home brew Bacanora. When you're in Sonora, it's on me.
  10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly; you have 180 days to clear the TVIP. I will agree that shit can happen, but you might be able to make it unhappen is six months.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Ok all of you are right, there is nothing that can cause a problem and ruin a trip and having this bit of info is not important. But just to be provocative, how many of you knew this quirk in the system even existed. I didn't until 6 months ago. If you want to argue about something else now, fell free.

But If you want to help me provide arguments to the Governor of Sonora and our Senators to make all of Sonora TVIP free, PM me.
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Sonora Governor Guillermo Padrés Elias was at one time the biggest Bancanora aficionado around :freaky
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    A hotel that I can strongly recommend just off the Zocalo is the Hotel Catedral (www.hotelcatedral.com). Been using this one going back 10 years and have never regretted it. Rooms start at $54 and there's secure underground parking. Restaurant is really good and concierge services are useful for getting tix to the Ballet Folkorico, etc. Located on Donceles immediately north of the Catedral Nacional it's an excellent location for walking El Centro. Get either the King Suite or double twin room on the top floor (7th?) south side so you can enjoy the rooftop balcony and view of the catedral. And no bed bugs like the Montecarlo. :lol3
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    If you want a real deal on a luxury hotel on the Zocalo then check out the Gran Hotel just south of the Holiday Inn (http://www.granhoteldelaciudaddemexico.com.mx). They're running some specials right now from $115 USD/night. Stayed here in '74 and it's been completely restored since. A very special place.
  15. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Having ridden 20K miles in Central America during the past seven years I have always felt safe but have had some questions arise from a friend and my riding buddy about a up coming trip to western Mexico. Planning on crossing the border at Presidio and going thru Chihuahua on our way to Creel and then on down to the ferry at Los Nochis for a boat ride to La Paz. Seems most people ride Baja south and then ferry to Matalzan but I have not read anything, cost/duration/etc about the Los Nochis to La Paz ferry. Any information about that ferry will be appreciated. I have traveled a lot of miles in eastern Mexico but haven't been in the western half at all so any information about the Chihuahua/Creel/Los Nochis areas will be appreciated. Looking forward to see Copper Canyon and how Baja has changed in the forty years since I have been there.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Topolobampo (Los Mochis) to La Paz

Your answer here Here
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Thanks! I am already in the Hotel Castropol. Large clean room with hot water and wifi for $300 pesos, about $22.50 US

It also has an under ground garage.
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

What is this toilet seat you speak of! :huh

Yes, it has one! :D
  19. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually consider the paper work at the borders as part of the Adventure, but what do I know! :huh I never hired helpers on my trip to Central America this year, even though one did help at one point. I think the risk factor of doing the importation on line can be affected by how far you live from the border. Some folks live in Texas, some in Mississippi and some much further off. So the best solution might be dictated by ones proximity to the border if there is a problem. BTW, I crossed at Laredo headed south for the first time on my current trip, less than one hour for every thing.
  20. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]