Suzuki GW250

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JerryH, Nov 16, 2012.

1. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did someone miss this one, or did I overlook it? This looks like a bike I might be interested in. A liquid cooled twin without ABS, no bodywork, a semi sporty riding position, tubeless tires, an actual seat, not the rock hard pad the Ninja 250 has, and, to me anyway, really cool looking. To bad the price has not been announced yet, that is probably not good. This looks better to me than either the Ninja 250 or the CBR250. If it is competitively priced, I might just have to have a closer look.
  2. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    I've been watching this one for a while, originally called the Inazuma overseas, will only be available in black in the US, but definitely coming to the States...
  3. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first reaction was that it looked awful. Don't care for the look of the dash/headlight or the front fender. Have now seen some photos from other angles that make it look somewhat more attractive. I'm hoping it looks better in person. It's also listed at 401 pounds.

As to price: purely speculation on my part but I wonder if Suzuki was not caught off guard by the new Honda 500's.

The Suzuki TU250 lists for $4400. I would think being a twin, having spokeless wheels, and front and rear disc brakes, the GW would be more. Perhaps $500(??) That brings it just under $5,000. Then Honda unveils the CB500F at $5500. Twice the displacement in (to me) a more attractive package and it's a Honda - which I believe has some import to many, including new riders, for $500 more. I suspect many would opt for the Honda.

Will be interesting to see what the actual figure is.

Ned
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What NO pix?
  5. page62

page62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I think that's a good looking bike. I really like the front fender.
  7. page62

page62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, we're finally getting some decent bikes imported into the USA. Let's hope somebody buys them!

(Disclosure: I did my part...I bought a Kawasaki KLX250SF supermoto and an Aprilia Shiver 750 streetfighter. Naked bikes rock!!!)
  8. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Styling is mini-BKing, and it is alright.

400lbs is pretty porky for a 250, though. On the other hand, perhaps that means it is sized for an adult male. :lol3
  9. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. JerryH

Oddometer:

To me it looks a lot like the Kawasaki ER-6N. And if it comes in at that price, and a full sized adult will fit on it, I don't see how I can afford NOT to buy one. Looks like a perfect canyon carver. And it is a bit unusual. I owned an '07 Ninja 250 for a couple of years, and one of it's problems is that they were everywhere. Of course that may not be a bad thing. I felt it was too small, and got an '09 EX500. Big mistake. The 500 is a great bike for most, but it was way more uncomfortable for me than the 250, and I never rode it that much for that reason. I can't wait to see how this one fits. It would solve the problem of what to get myself for Christmas.
  11. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

Fascinating.
  12. page62

page62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My KLX250SF is definitely sized for an adult male (unlike the Ninja 250), and it only weighs a bit over 300 lbs. Go figure...
  13. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Suzuki website still shows price "TBA"

If it actually is $4099 I don't know if I'd be thrilled or worried. Less than the TU despite seemingly offering upgrades over the single?? Does the fact it is made in China allow for such a low price - and does that come with corresponding lower quality?

Hope we get the actual pricing soon.

Ned
  14. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Way too heavy for a 250. What'd they do, sleeve down a 650 twin?
  15. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

made in china? :eek1

i'm out
  16. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It's not made in Japan, but neither are most other Japanese bikes these days, and that doesn't seem to bother anyone. It is probably made in Taiwan or Thailand. I'm sure it is not actually made in Mainland China. If it were, it would be the first Japanese bike sold in the U.S. that was.

It's comparison to the TU250 is probably the same as comparing my local dealers prices of $3200 for the 2012 CBR, which is far more technically advanced, but not made in Japan, to the $3700 for the 2012 Rebel, which is a technological dinosaur (but I like that, if only I fit on it) but is made in Japan.

Suzuki may have also planned to price it higher, but had to drop the price in light of unforseen competition. If that is the case, it will probably not remain in the U.S. market because there would be no profit in selling it here.

In any event, I certainly intend to check it out, it looks like a great bike for short road trips, of 1000 miles or less, is freeway legal, cheap (if that price is accurate) and very different from any other 250 out there.
  17. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    A quick Google search...

Suzuki officially launched its new GW250 B-King inspired motorcycle as its flagship model for China.
    Presented at the China International Motorcycle Trade Exhibition (CIMAMotor 2011), Suzuki GW250 will be produced in China first for the domestic market but will later be exported to Europe, Indonesia and Central and South America. The GW250 will be sold in China by Haojue, a joint venture between Suzuki and Jiangmen Dachangjiang Group and one of China’s largest motorcycle

More here.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/10/14/manufacturers/suzuki/2012-suzuki-gw250-bab
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    It will be the flagship for China, because it looks Chinese made, even if it isn't. It looks cheap/weird. I don't like it.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Well rats. If true, and it looks like it is, this is a new low for Japanese manufacturers. Building an entire motorcycle in China. How long will it be before all Japanese motorcycles are built in China? Most already use Chinese parts.

Many Kymco scooters, a Taiwanese brand, are built in China, and are of excellent quality. But they are built in Kymco factories, and quality control is overseen by Kymco. Probably the same would be true for Suzuki, but Suzuki is not Kymco. My first street bike was a Suzuki GT380 back in 1975. I see an all Chinese built Suzuki almost the same as an all Chinese built Harley or BMW. I have not written it off yet, but it does not look well. I do like the appearance of the bike, it is a breath of fresh air compared to the plastic covered Ninja and CBR. I am so sick of crotch rockets. But made in China is not acceptable.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    get over it. Your freaking beloved iPhones are 100% Chinese.

Chinese manufacturers are capable of manufacturing to whatever quality you are willing to pay for.