the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. NZDrRider

NZDrRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, that was the problem. Bumped them while putting the new jet in. Took it out, reset, wacked it back in and have never looked back. Found it heaps easier to remove by undoing the airbox which let it slide back a smidgeon.

Cheers from NZ.
  2. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    I just want to say hi I got a almost new 04 dr200se 179 miles :clap
    it has a idle problem but i will work it out soon :deal carb is clean. B
  3. Lukon

Lukon Adventurer

Oddometer:

My guess is the Honda has less HP (torque) per clutch friction surface area (half the displacement,) so the clutch held up better. There may well be an after market clutch kit (Barnett?) with a more robust friction material that will hold up better. Anybody out there know of a tougher clutch for this bike?

Bring a camera when you head back and post some pics of your ride; it might inspire the rest of us to get out there. Moab is gorgeous! Is there a thread or board here where we can post planned trips, so others can join in? It might be fun to get a bunch of DR200's on an expedition to Moab...
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Ride reports, Day Trippin', or Regional forums, take your pic.
  5. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a new rider to the dual sport. I had a harley for several years, sold it to pay off debt, then recently decided to try some off-road fun with my boyfriend. He took me on my first real off-road ride last weekend and I had more fun than I thought I could!!

I love my little DR! It's nice to see how many other people out there on this good little bike. My only complaint with it was when we would hit pavement and I couldn't keep up with him on his KTM. I'm kicking butt in the dirt and on the rocks though... so ridiculously fun!
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for the expanation between the 100 and 200 also the after market suggestion.

About the planned trips they often get posted in regionals and there is also Trip Planning - - > Americas, however that section doesn't get a lot of use. Regionals get a lot more views however many people like myself stay in their own regions when surfing ADV and forget to go into other regions to see what else might be going on. If something like that was posted in the region Utah is in I'd miss it unless it was cross posted here. I subscribe to this thread so usually keep up with it.

It would be fun to see a DR200 gathering take place.
  7. NZDrRider

Oddometer:
    Talk to Keintech. You get a racer but depending on your weight, you will easily 65 to 70 mph for very little money. My wife also kicks me around on her DR200 and big fat me on the DR650, and now with the new exhaust and rejetted carb, she manages to get road legal speeds and more so keeps up very well.

Enjoy the ride.
  8. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will! It would be nice to get the extra speed. If there was no hill at all I could get up to 60/65 with the throttle wide open, but any kind of incline and even shifting down didn't help. I don't weigh much so should be and easy modification and would be nice to keep up with the bigger bikes.
  9. NZDrRider

Oddometer:
    If you can, phone Jesse at Keintech and he will talk you through your options. It was impractical for me to ship a muffler from New Zealand to him so I bought an aftermarket one for a DRZ125 which had similar output dimensions. I also figured out a way to remove the end cap of a spare stock one that I had and opened that up as well. Both seem to give the same result on the road so I have kept the aftermarket one on as it is lighter.

Enjoy.
  10. tnmike

tnmike n00b

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 2004 DR200 and so far its great. I have an intermittent problem with it not wanting to crank. I thought it was the kickstand switch but I think I found a loose wire under the cowl. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I also need some basic maintenance info and cant find a Clymer on this model. Any suggestions???

Ive really been suprised at the zip and agility of this little bike. I can easily run it at 60mph with throttle to spare.
  11. NZDrRider

Oddometer:
    Try this.

[​IMG]

This may help as well.

[​IMG]
  12. tnmike

tnmike n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks NZ that will help a lot:clap
  13. Lukon

Lukon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think a DR200 gathering is a great idea! Maybe, if we picked a nice central location on or near the west coast...

Thanks for the suggestions about places to look for trips; I'll check them out, when I have some time.
  14. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Weather was nice yesterday so Jodie and I headed off to explore some of the Kettle Valley Railway or KVR, an abandoned railbed running through the southern BC mountains. We rode about 100kms of the rail line from Summerland to Princeton and enjoyed the fall colors.

[​IMG]

check out the blue sky, sorry for the clouds in the background
    [​IMG]

checking out some logging roads
    [​IMG]

trees are changing, even saw a few leaves falling
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nature, all to ourselves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a few stops along the way
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

found some treasure
    [​IMG]

missed food pic, what's left of our delicious Thai supper.
    [​IMG]

Great day out, rode a little over 340km, 100km of dirt. PS We love our DRs. :norton As far as a group ride, come up and see Canada folks, we have lots of great riding and not as many people as you do. Come stay with us, we have good trails in every direction for as far as you want to go. Well you can only go about a half mile south till your back in the states but you get my point. :freaky
  15. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, Bross!
  16. puntoMX

puntoMX Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine got problems with his left passenger peg protector hitting the swingarm and took some metal with it. The sag measured from the rear seat top-end hight to the rear wheel axle is 7cm (2.8") when a person of 80kg / 176lbs sits on it. So, height will drop there measured from the rear axle from 59 to some 51-52cm. Looks much to me. Bike has only 16.000km/10.000miles on it.

More people have this problem? And what did they do to fix it? I was thinking about putting a aluminum spacer (0.8"/10mm) above the spring to make the shock stiffer.:ear
  17. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    That ride in Canada looks fantastic! And the is the perfect bike for it.
  18. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Meant to say the dr200 is perfect for it.
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the sag sould be, but the service manual says the spring should be set between 236 and 225 mm.
  20. puntoMX

puntoMX Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer:
    Thanks Klay, it's set like that, this is why I'm clueless about this. I think that the sag I'm talking about is also called static sag and 7cm drop seems a lot to me. max. load on the DR200 is 125kg/275lbs? The DR200 frame is really flexible compared to the DRZ400 and DR650.