Motorcycles in HDR - Post Yours Here!

Discussion in 'Photos' started by dave6253, May 10, 2012.

1. 736cc

736cc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting your comparing my image to printmaking as I majored in lithography and my art concept has much to do with the process of layering of color to create an image.
    I am old school trying to play new school tech and the images in this thread are incredible.
    Here's the same bike, a period modified CB750, w/o boosting of the image.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img844/6576/imagetov.jpg
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
  3. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Ah, your reply makes even more sense of your image now. I'm in the same position, analogue arts education using that knowledge in the digital arena.

Anyway, great image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. yoseph19

yoseph19 n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  5. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. What a great, great thread. Some of you guys are seriously, seriously skilled. Thanks for introducing me to the world of HDR. I was totally ignorant of it as the furthest I ever got into photography was dodging and burning back in the days of D-76 and Ilford HP4. My Pentax Z50 long ago departed this mortal plane and I've been cell-phoning it ever since.

Having an iPhone 5 and reading the first 20 pages of the thread, I sprung a whole ¥170 to buy Pro HDR. Dang! What a neat little program. I was out for a walk the other day and played a bit. The results are decent, I think.

[​IMG]
    Cute little Suzuki lurking in the shadows

The bike shot presented an object lesson in bracketing hand-held. I have alignment issues here, but the processing (about 30 seconds to desaturate and then fiddle with contrast) makes an investment in at least a monopod and an iPhone adapter a no-brainer.

[​IMG]
    Twilight under the trees

Shot with the phone on the ground for both stability and perspective. I don't mind the slightly overblown sky as the detail in the shadow down the path is what I wanted anyway. Pro HDR normalizes over 2 shots, so this is about as much as one could hope for, I think.

Heck of a deal. Makes me want to get a DSLR and do some real bracket shooting.
  6. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
  7. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, nachtflug and Geek!

Trane Francks, Your photos are not displaying. :cry
  8. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    Are others having issues with that? I just checked with different browsers and on different computers in different cities (the joy of remote server admin) and was not able to reproduce the problem. In the meantime, you might get different results pasting the links directly into your browser:

http://www.living-intentionally.com/media/images/IMG_0327-1024p.JPG
    http://www.living-intentionally.com/media/images/IMG_0336-1024p.JPG

Cheers!
  9. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Nope - seeing them just fine.

jdg
  10. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :freaky
  11. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    :clapHappy Anniversary HDR Aficionados! :clap

That's right! It's been 365 days since this thread got underway. Thanks for everyone's contributions!

If you have been following this thread, but haven't tried HDR yourself, Why Not?:wink:
    (If you hate HDRs, you are STILL in the wrong thread!):D
    Are you thinking you don't have the right camera for HDRs?
    Well, I'm about to destroy that notion.

While on a ride a couple weeks ago I shot some brackets with my DSLR...

[​IMG]

...Why not try this with my point-n-shoot?
    I pulled out my aging Panasonic Lumix ZS-5.
    Just after sunset I shot these 3 bracketed exposures of the same scene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the result of merging the above photos in Nik HDR Efex Pro 2...

[​IMG]

...And the same photos merged in Photomatix Pro 4.2.

[​IMG]

And a slightly different composition and treatment. Also from the point-n-shoot.
    [​IMG]

I tried to shoot this same scene using my cell phone, but the foreground was so dark I couldn't overcome the severe noise to get a decent result.
    I have tried to do this with a point-n-shoot several times before and couldn't get proper alignment. I can often hand-hold the DSLR because it shoots
    the brackets so quickly, but with the point-n-shoot I have to go into the menu to change the exposure setting between each shot.
    It becomes difficult to get proper alignment either automatically or manually because with the time delay it is near impossible to not change, not only the composition, but the perspective.

So. If your camera doesn't auto-bracket, or it won't auto-bracket with wide enough exposures, then save yourself frustration and wasted opportunities by using a tripod.

Wednesday, I rode up to the Grand Canyon for another experiment.

With the camera on the tripod, I turned on the 2 second delay to get my shaky throttle hand off the camera.:D
    [​IMG]

With the camera set on P mode I used the top button of the 4-way control pad to access the exposure adjustment setting.
    The symbol is usually the little square with a +/- symbol.
    Here it is set to the normal exposure setting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the 4-way control pad you can adjust it up 2 exposure values...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or down 2 exposure values.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are other ways to adjust the exposure on most cameras you may want to explore, especially if your camera is reading the scene wrong to begin with.
    Shutter Speed would be my first choice, but the above method is the simplest.

I made no changes to the original JPEGs before sending them to Photomatix Pro.

I don't usually use presets, but this time I found one that worked. The preset is part of Trey Ratcliff's preset package and is named "Finding Uncle Remo".
    I cleaned it up a little in Lightroom 3.6, and here is the final result.
    [​IMG]

Could it work with a cellphone?

I held the cellphone on top of the tripod in order to limit my movement during all of the menu manipulations.
    Here's the ugly cellphone JPEGs. As bad as these are, I'm amazed to see nearly everyone else using these things for pictures.
    This scene became even more dynamic with a cloud now shading the bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 1st cellphone HDR that I've successfully processed.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, this can be done with almost any camera. Get to shootin' and don't forget to share.

Here's a few more recent shots I've been saving for this day.:D

[​IMG]

On Wednesday I watched the sunset at Lipan Point near the east end of the South Rim Drive.
    I then rode all the way back to Phoenix in only 3 hours, only stopping once for fuel.

[​IMG]

I found a new mural in Phoenix and shot this with my little Olympus Pen.

[​IMG]
  12. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Trane Francks, Maybe it is just me, but I've tried 3 browsers on 2 different devices and the links also do not work. :cry
  13. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    This post is an increditable HDR demonstration for the point-and-shoot camera. Also, to reinforce the difference results between a couple of software progams.

Thanks Dave! :thumb

14. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Great photos! What seat do you have on your 990?
    [​IMG]
  15. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday HDR thread! Thanks for giving birth Dave, love the shot of the mural, well done!

:clap
  16. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    No problems at this end. :dunno All the pictures, all the time. :nod
  17. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    If you want to PM me your IP address, I'll be happy to check to see whether for some reason it's in the firewall's deny list for that server. You can do some forensics on your end, too. Trying pinging and/or tracerouting the box:

ping living-intentionally.com

On UNIX (including OS X from Terminal):
    traceroute living-intentionally.com

On Windows:
    tracert living-intentionally.com

ping should hit paydirt at 204.11.49.36. traceroute should run out of steam at te-1-1.dist01.tor1.prioritycolo.com (204.11.48.133). If traceroute doesn't wind up at that PriorityColo router, then your traffic is hanging up before it hits our network and there's nothing I can do about it.

Good hunting!

Edited to add: If ping returns an unknown host error for living-intentionally.com, you might want to talk to your ISP about a likely DNS problem with their setup. There's no reason why the name look-up shouldn't resolve to the IP address.
  18. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Trane Franks, I can access your site, but the photos will not display and the links to the photos do not work. I've tried two of my own computers and my employer's computer. Oh well. The tech stuff you just posted is above my head.

The standard Seat Concepts with the orange stitching option. I'm not yet sure how I like it.
  19. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not working for me either at the moment, get the Living Intentionally website, but it's saying the image is 404 I think.

I think it has something to do with the link in the original post, if I click on that I get the 404, if I copy and paste one of the links from the Quote above it works.
  20. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer: