Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Slot it , drill it or grind it.
  2. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    thanks guys Ill use a combination of methods I guess:D
  3. creaky

creaky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dogger......the carb shown in that link is an older model with no pump. I had one of those that I used on three different bikes, a stock 95 XR00, a '98 HRC 628 and later adapted it to an '00 WR400. In each case, it was a definite improvement in performance over the stock carb. That said, the pumper version is an improvement.
  4. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    man Im on a roll guys!!!!!!!

fixed the skidplate and took off the stripped bolt...

and added foam insulation on the front under the vent holes and under the case towards the back, that and I added more rubber strips on all the frame rails so now there is no metal to metal contact and it worked!

no creaking from the frame twisting on the skidplate! HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

next on the list fix my floppy shifter!

soooo per many a recomendation here and on tt I put y shifter in a homemade vice and whipped out the old saw...made a nice long cut, as it took a while on the gap cleaned up the splines a bit and put teflon on the spindle...

then pressed the gap nice and tight, put on spindle, loctite the threads and bingo, bolt screws in nice and tight aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

no more floppy lever! bam! stoked

I was having issues going into first because if the floppiness...I also bent the shifter out just a smidge

anywhoo

Ill be riding in the afternoon...hopefully I can take some pics...

thanks for all the tips guys:clap

christian
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christian,

You know we are still waiting for the pic of the Mrs in her bikini. :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
  6. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    PREGNANT????????????????????????????????

MAN

you guys play hard I see:rofl

jajajajajajaja
  7. The Dogger

The Dogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers Creaky ,I just spotted it mooching through the ads , thought it might work for someone on here..........I've just scored an FCR41 off a CRF450. Paid a whopping £25 plus post for a total of £30 all in:1drink

It's as filthy as a filthy thing from Filthville

Anyone done their own ultra sonic clean..........what size cleaner to get ? the one's I've seen on ebay are listed in capacity ( 2 litres etc ) , any advice ?

Cheers , Stu
  8. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    just boil it in pinesol or a mild lemon juice and water soluton and let it sit overnight

unless you can find a real cheap cleaner this is almost as good

since you got the carb so cheap(are you sure its in working condition, slide, etc...) I would penny up for a cleaner...

anyways good score!
  9. The Dogger

The Dogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Christian

I don't think we have Pinesol here in the UK. Is it pine disinfectant ?? I might try the lemon boil thing , I'll swot up on stripping it down , and have a go at the weekend

The carb was described as " believed to be working " , whatever that may mean. The throttle cables seem to operate OK , the slide snaps back . We'll see.....stand by for loads of questions in the future

BTW , Congrats to you and your wife on your addition to the family

Cheers , Stu
  10. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the ingreediments for Pinesol.

Ingredient
    Pine oil 8 - 10%

Alkyl alcohol ethoxylates 3 - 7%

Isopropyl alcohol 1 - 5%

Sodium petroleum sulfonate 1 - 5%

Maybe you can compare them with what you have and find a close match. I have a 2.5 L ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. I can fit all the parts of a carb in it. Has tank heat too. Does a good job, but will stink the place up if you use the tank heat too much.
  11. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hey dogger, just get whats closest to pinesol...

pinesol and equivalants are used worldwide...since you got the goods from jabs post, man! get the closest thing

or an ultrasonic cleaner of course
  12. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    First of all, sorry for invading the sacred XR600R space with a somewhat XR650L related question...

This may be a long-shot, but I'm running a later-model 600R muffler on my XRL, and I am curious if anyone has had theirs tested for decibel level with the insert removed. The reason I'm wondering is that the riding areas around me have a 99db limit.

Anyone? Beuller? Beuller??? :freaky
  13. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    you could always "test" it yourself.

Pull the insert, ride it around and see if you get any complaints.....:evil:D
  14. rogervize

rogervize Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess you put teflon on the spindle to make the lever a tighter fit? I would recommend using the loctite on the splines and teflon on the threads. I have heard this recommended previously somewhere. Cheers...
    And...I would just tighten up the torx screws to stop movement of the skid plate..maybe some better quality screws required.
    Just so you know I'm still lurking around here:evil
  15. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hey roger hows it going?

no the torx where are tight as they could go, part of the reason one stripped...its a common issue Ive read about now...

when my bike would cool down you could here creaking...It bugged the hell out of me...

the real reason however to take the plat off was to insulate it more as the noise was bugging me...the foam works great(i tore up an old bar foam) and the rubber strips will help against impact...not that I do that a lot...

yeah Ill do the loctite on the spindle...well I did before but wanted to try the filing down the gap trick, I got some movement now...bit half as much as before...

p.s. it was my stator that failed...remember all that jazz about the pg and trigger etc? jajajajajajaja damn stators! xrs kill em!:D

thanks bud!
  16. JAB

Oddometer:
    Christian; When you are ready to put the Loctite on, try to find some of the industrial shaft locking compound. This is a very thick material that is designed to help keep things from moving around on shafts and not the same stuff we use on bolts and studs. There is a big selection of stuff Loctite makes that fills gaps and hold things in place.
  17. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hey Jab, there is a bolts and nut store that sells ALL the loctite compounds...happen to know which one it would be?

should I still use the teflon or no?

thanks

I finally ran out of my blue loctite...man have I used that little bottle a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl
  18. JAB

Oddometer:
    I used 638 retaining compound. This was on a smooth shaft rather than a spline but if the male and female splines are not too worn I guess it would help. If the teflon tape is taking up space from worn parts, that might be a different story. Could it be the shaft splines are harder than the lever causing the lever splines to wear out and fit poorly?
  19. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    I've been riding it around town like that and no complaints from the law or anyone else yet, but they don't sit around with Db meters here. I downloaded a Db meter app last night so I'll try testing it with that from 20ft. Not sure if it's 20ft directly behind the bike, or 20ft at a 45* angle or what. I'll need to look that up.
  20. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    yes this is the case, which is good and well designed by honda

the spindle is perfect..lever splines some are almost gone...

remember I got crashed into and the lever went spaghuetti and saved my shaft spindle...

anywhoo

638 it is

awesome