So it began......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SquirrelyGrl, May 26, 2011.

1. SquirrelyGrl

SquirrelyGrl Squirrely Girl

Oddometer:
    Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
    BarberPole ~ Ya, it was Ed!
    Matter of fact, I still have his business card. Great guy! Super excellent luck running into him on Saturday and then him helping out on Sunday.

I'm slacking..... I need to post the rest of the story. I haven't gotten to the State Trooper part yet :lol3
  2. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Even though I know the story :poser
  3. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Hawk ~ Shouldn't you be working??

:hide

:D
  4. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    :lurk :baldy
  5. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Promise Brown Dog!

Tonight!

I'll finish the story and start another one!!
  6. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Monday morning my Hawk was running and Darren's KLR wasn't. He would be straneded for the week at the house.

But I wanted pics of my bike at the beach. Granted if it had been the DR, I totally would have been on the beach beach part. But I have these awesome photos b/c Darren was cool enough to take a few for me, most times I'm not photogenic but these turned out well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite:

[​IMG]
  7. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
  8. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That smile :D:D says it all.
  9. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    So on the way home from that trip I not stopping for anything other than food and fuel and the bathroom.

I went thru Augusta and was on 129 heading towards some town somwhere. I was hoofing pretty good around 70+ as I was wanting to get home before dark.

Then sure enough, I got clocked and a state trooper was flashing his lights from the opposite direction, I saw him turn around in my mirror heading right behind me.

So I pulled over close to a gas station. I'm not one to argue when I know I was speeding. After 5 minutes I was finally uncovered enough for him to be surprised I was a girl, and he proceeded to write me my ticket.

Not 15 minutes had passed, then I was suiting back up. I sat on the bike, ready for it to fire up again.....................

And it didn't. :cry

Ugh, so the Trooper rolled down his window and asked me what the problem was. I answered, he replied he had jumper cables. Since it was the only thing I had at the time, I went with it.
    I uncovered the battery, he lifted the hood on the car and left the car running.

Then one of the few times I've paid some attention to others telling me about the size of batteries and the amount of energy flowing blah, blah, blah......

I asked the trooper to shut off his car :D I was very proud to then start my bike and thanked the trooper for not leaving me, when he could have.

He asked me for my ticket back, I handed it to him. He tore it up and told me to watch my speed heading home. :clap

Super cool.

So I did get home and without the ticket.

Now for some Beaver 2013 RR
  10. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Here's my lil story of the first Beaver this year;

I left mid-morning April 27 on my ever faithful DR 200, loaded w/ tent, sleeping bag/pad and bare essentials. B/c I don't 7:30 is toooo early I called Gentri to see if he was going to go to Crawford's and camp out. After he became cognizant, he agreed to get his rear in gear and meet me at the campground around 1ish.
    I slabbed it Hwy 64 all the way the only exciting event was a turkey vulture almost flew in my face. I wasn't gonna fight him for that road kill :lol3
    As I was getting closer to Crawfords on Beaver Dam Rd, I got passed by a herd of KTM's, DRZ's and maybe some others mixed in there. So missing the lunch crowd, I rolled into Crawfords and immediately spotted Al Tuna's cool rig, but didn't recognize anyone else.
    After setting up my lil bivey tent and trying out my new butterfly chair, in less than 30 minutes Gentri rolled up. As he set his tent up, we formulated a short ride plan.
    On our way out of Crawford's we met RC, Monte, Twisty, Ashley and some others from the Dirty Ride. As a few of them were battling a case of hangovers they opted for short riding that day.
    Gentri and I went to town first, then headed to Davis Creek Rd. I was still a skiddish from the St Patty Day debacle, I hope I didn't hold Gentri back too much. We met a couple of BMW riders on that road and pressed on.
    Gentri and I heeded not the closed signs of Davis Creek and rolled down the mountain into the NFS campground, to have a good listen to the strange noises coming from Gentri's KLR.
    His starter relay was replaced by a brand new lawnmower relay. His starter motor wanted to restart, shorting out the relay on something of the bike. We never could figure it out, maybe he's looked into it since then but I dunno. I actually had to get a starter relay for my DR in order to make it to the Beaver.
    We rode thru the new green growth of leaves and golden sunshine in the valley of Davis Creek.
    [​IMG]
    We stopped for a few minutes at the fish hatchery and saw leaping rainbow trout packed in pools. As we walked back to the bikes, Gentri mentioned his not wanting to ride back thru Davis Creek b/c of his street oriented tire on the slick mud parts of the construction on Davis Creek Rd. I'm not completely familiar w/ Tellico, but I know the basics and I thought I could come up with another way back to camp.
    But as I ventured on to North River (I knew ABHulgan was camping there that night) I couldn't think og a better way to re-route. I'm sure many guys are positive about the way back via Joe Brown and Whit Rd, but I wasn't. I stopped and told Gentri he was being a pansy, he has mad skills and he agreed to try as best he could.
    As it was getting darker we turned around and headed back towards that small community.
    Woa!! We almost caught ABHulgan w/ his pants down on North River tho!
    We stopped and chatted for a bit;
    [​IMG]
  11. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    I almost thought I'd take off with his cookies, but it ain't right to take a man's cookies while he's camping;
    [​IMG]

We made plans for having breakfast in the morning at local diner in Murphy.
    As Gentri and I got closer to our ascent of Davis Creek Rd, he ventured ahead of me with intentions of keeping his momentum uphill. I poked along, then came to a sharp left turn, finding Gentri snug against a bobcat! His seat had come off! And in hopes of giggling it back, he kept going straight, not making the turn. [​IMG]

Hence why his seat came off, but he could always fix that electric problem easier without the hassle of bolts :evil

He did fine going up the mud and rock stuff;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back at camp it was awesome of Gentri to grill the hamburgers and awesome of RC to put the gathering together. It was awesome to see everyone and good to see Ashley and Mr Blank.

The fire pit was honored by the burning of RC's boots and I seriously was concerned when I saw how fast those things went in flammage. It was a good low key night.

And super cold! Although I was super warm, snug and toasty in my $200 sleeping bag and new silk liner :D Even the heavy frost in the morning wasn't a debbie downer for me.

I had half of my gear packed before I crawled out of my tent. ABHulgan rolled into camp around 8:30 and Gentri had taken the offer of free breakfast so I packed up and on the way out said my farewell's and goodbyes. Coming to the flashing light at the end of Hanging Dog I followed Brent down a FS road I had completely forgotten we had been on 3 years prior. It ends at the lake in Murphy and there is a road alongside the lake heading into town.

[​IMG]

We traveled as far as could on the shore, but it was far. Then headed on the FS, but as you can tell from the pics, it was a valid attempt to get thru but alas the fates were not on our side;

[​IMG]

After breakfast and seeing a sweet 919 and Triumph we rolled outta town into the North Ga Mtns via back roads and steep, super steep, super super steep climbs to my DR. The main thing I was thinking that entire day was the fact that my baby DR was going to roll over 30k at some point that day. I could only hope that it would be on a dirt road.
    At some we came to a gate. All I know is that this road is on the TET (which Brent had done the Southeastern part a couple of weeks ago). But as I tried to talk Brent into going past the gate, he decided not to do so, (probably wise). He used his rear tire to turn his motorbike around. Fancy Pants;
    [​IMG]

Finally my DR did make it to 30k!!!! :clap :happay

I do believe it was on some road that I was on St Patty's Day, the day of the sprocket falling off the bike. Somewhere in N Ga on a dirt road, near Springer Mtn ish.

[​IMG]

Just prior to rolling over, we stopped and had lunch at this cool campground;
    [​IMG]

Not really sure why ABHulgan is standing that.........
  12. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap nice to hear about some of your riding! I'm still hoping to get down that way in a month or so on the DRZ!
  13. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
    He musta been glad 2cU

:hide
  14. wjfawb0

wjfawb0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just moved back to the 'Nooga. It looks like you're well on the way to finding all the good dual sport trails around here. Hopefully I'll soon have another WR250R or some such bike to do the same. I imagine there are some Big Frog rides somewhere in this thread. I'll have to take a closer look. Ride safe.
  15. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    I forgot the last pic of that ride. We took the TET part in Ellijay back homewards and it was seriously the toughest and roughest part of riding.

It was awesome! Brent was sad he missed that part of the TET, but golly, we went thru a whopper of a mud puddle..........

[​IMG]

Brown Dog ~ I dunno what he was doing, but that campgound we were at musta been an old CCC Camp or something. There were several remnants of stone buildings and an establishment water pipe for the spring water. Pretty cool place, too bad I don't know the names of those places :cry

wjfawb0 ~ Big Frog, is that the same term people use for Cohutta Wilderness and that area? If so, many of my rides have been in that area. But I may not reference them as Big Frog. Get a WR250! Also check out the Scenic City Thread in the South East Forum. Every now and then the ADV'rs of the are will get together in Chattanooga.

Woody ~ Cool beans, DRZ's are super fun. You'd have a blast at Prentice Cooper and several other places.
  16. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    Good stuff ... shake your tail baby! You are awesometastic.:deal

30 fuckin thousand miles on a DR 200.... Wow!
  17. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread! I grew up back in that area. Great to see all the old places that you ride. Keep posting, and I'll keep reading!
  18. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Right Tuna!

You shoulda seen the eye bulge from the local BMW dealership salesmen when I said that suspension on a F700 wouldn't matter if it was lowered for me or not, since I rode a DR 30 k :lol3

Burro Driver ~ cool beans. I have another day trip to post as well from last Friday riding the Devil's Triangle on an SV.
  19. wjfawb0

wjfawb0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is Cohutta Wilderness, but the parts I'm familiar with are in TN and part of Cherokee National Forest. If you drive out 64 from Cleaveland and turn right at the Ocoee 3 powerhouse that logging road will go about 3 miles up Big Frog Mtn to a T intersection. Right takes you around the west side of the mountain which I've only been maybe 10 miles down that path before hiking to the top of the mountain. If you go left you end up on Tumbling Creek road, a federal campground and eventually you come out in Ducktown, TN. Google maps doesn't show the roads, but you've probably been on them.

Google satellite view of area:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=35.027607,-84.512672&spn=0.094884,0.209255&t=h&z=13

USDA Big Frog map:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5269856.pdf

Another Big Frog trail and road map:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5278516.pdf
  20. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    Respect for the 30K:clap

oh this ought to be good
    :lurk