Gloves for subzero weather

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by W4lnutz, Nov 8, 2012.

1. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:

if you are riding in the snow then i think it be ok. but if you sild off on the road i think you would end up sitting on the pavement with your hands messed up. which is why i still have my bike gloves on for now til i get round buy and fit bar muffs.
  2. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Hippo Hands or a variant, heated grips and summer gloves.

P.S. Hippo Hands are GREAT in the rain as well as the cold. Road through a full day of icy rain last month on the Alcan and my hands where the last thing on my list to worry about.
  3. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am thinking my sumer alpinestars sp-x gloves and bar muff should be fine as i dont wont to have to take off my new grips to fit heatted ones. i will have to see what ones are for sale on line and whats the best deal to.

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Long timer

Oddometer:
    I commute about 45 minutes each way, year round in Maine as long as as there's not snow and ice on the roads. I have heated grips and just got a heated vest -- both of which make a huge difference.

Adjusting your speed is another weapon in your arsenal against cold. In spring/summer/fall, I tend to ride 70 - 75mph, but when the ambient temps get into the low 20s, that speed (and subsequent wind) get me pretty chilled in about 20 minutes. If I adjust my speed down to about 60mph, I feel like I could ride for hours.

Reducing wind chill by riding slower isn't necessarily the definitive solution, but it's one of the variables over which your have control -- so it's good to experiment with it a little so you can use it to your advantage. One of the scenarios I have in the back of my mind is that if my heated grips or heated vest were to fail, I bet I could get to my destination by dropping my speed to 45mph.
  5. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Helll Yes hippo hands are ugly but I am a utilitarian biker so I dont go for looks!:D
  6. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    This.

Hippo hands keep the wind off your hands, that lets your gloves and heated grips deal with the ambient temp in a reasonably calm environment.
  7. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
    Wind control, Wind control, Wind control. I need hippo-hands (home made) and heated gloves (W&S). If I could build a fire in the bark buster I'd do that too.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I've ridden at 6° with Gerbing gloves and toasty hands. Not sure where you get your reviews from.

Jim :brow
  9. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 on this - wind chill can make an extreme difference, even in summer. Also remember that when it's cold your tires will be harder and less grippy, switches, levers, chains, etc. don't work as well, etc. and can cause an accident if you aren't careful.

Doug
  10. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said.

I rode in this morning, 30F. Regular GS hand guards, heated grips on low and Held warm and dry mid-weight gloves. Hands were warm as toast at 60mph.
  11. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Liked the look of those so I bought a set. Tried em today with my Summer gloves and the heaters and my hands got HOT. Admittedly it wasnt very cool out but I wanted to try em. Im happy with the fit and the look.

[​IMG]
  12. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried lots of combinations: Warm-n-Safe heated gloves, Hippo-Hands, Powerlet heated liners... I think I found a good combination for very cold riding and I know others have posted on this before: neoprene gloves and heated liners. I bought some neoprene "fishin' gloves" from my local sporting goods store - 1 size larger than I need. I wore my Powerlet heated liners under that. I was warm and dry at 30F this morning with the heat down very low. I think I could go much, much colder with this combination. I'll let you know when it gets colder here.

The gloves were relatively cheap ($22), but they had even cheaper ($15) ones that looked the same, but were not advertised as waterproof. My guess is that these cheap ones would let air squeak in through the seams - so don't try those. I've heard others use kayaking gloves - which I expect are very similar, but probably more expensive.
  13. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want protection if something goes wrong. Those neoprene gloves are NOT protective.
  14. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Olympia Gore-Tex winter gloves. Gauntlet style. I will wear liners with those if it gets into the low 20s. I don't ride a M/C in the snow because out here, the crap they put on the roads will eat through your bike.

I am trying a chinese scooter for winter riding this year.
  15. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of silk gloves to wear under my snowmobile gloves. Hopefully they should do me for the remainder of my riding season. I'm getting tired of washing the de-icing fluid (urea) off my bike that the roads departments are spraying on every bridge and sharp corner around here...

Dave
  16. Kannonball 88

Kannonball 88 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much good do glove liners (the thin silk ones) do? Some people swear by them, but I tried a set once and couldn't tell any difference. Do they really help when used with proper gloves. Rider Wearhouse sells a couple of different types, is one better than another?
    Thanks,
    Bruce
  17. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The temps never bugged me that much. When my hands get cold I just hug the motor! I commute 21 miles each way down to about 20F so far this year.

My question is how do you guys deal with the ice? I look at the road in front of my house and it's dry, but in some of the valleys that I ride though the condensation makes the road a sheet of ice.
  18. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use Leather Welding Gloves size 2XL over my insulated riding gloves on a 35-40 commute to work. Kinda risky cause there's not much Brake Control.
  20. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I can't give much info yet about glove liners. I've only worn my silk liners for about 100 km in 5 - 10 C weather. I can say that my hands felt dryer than normal - and my hands tend to sweat easily. The only other thing I noticed was that I didn't really notice the liners. No bulk. No reduction in the feel of the controls. Maybe a slightly slippery feel inside my snowmobile gloves, but nothing disconcerting.

HTH,
    Dave

Sent from my iPad2