Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Dr E

Dr E Chasing after theory

Oddometer:
    ...good points for me to look at and they need to be added into the equation for upgrades. The issue of the rear brake is one I am cautiously aware of in that there is a translation from street to dirt and braking switches primary braking. I have been reading a number of posts wherein the utilitarian value between drum and disk has been debated and a few folks make an argument for keeping the drum over disk setup. I would base their differences are seated in their personal riding style.

My style will only cover minimal single track riding as my intention is primary logging roads, dirt access routes and two up exploring (minimal need for excessive braking capability as highway speed is not a huge consideration).

So in looking at alternatives, I may need to consider a structural modification to the stock swing arm (based on parts availability of a AT or RD03) and increase the length of the stock swing arm back to the OEM position if I go with the upgraded Wilber shock and raise the bike. This has not been an issue in the past with other swing arm mods I have done on bikes. Replacement would be the easier of the alternatives, and sourcing parts CONUS would be the most advantageous. I will interested in Carlos input and suggestions.

Thank you.

2. Iron_Floyd

Iron_Floyd BIG ENDURO FREAK

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Serbia to all transalp dual-sport beasts worshipers :wave

This is my first post to this forum. I've been watching this thread for a long time, and enjoyed in pictures of your moded machines. I'll post some of mine later, but right now, I'm facing with some very high pitch sound that is getting from the front cylinder of my brother's TA.

I've recorded it, here is the link View My Video

Just have to mention that the valves clearances ware checked, and everything is sett by specification. In and exhaust valves are set to 0.10 mm ( this transalp is 1987 )

Can someone give me a help what this frustrating noise could be? Overall, the engine is working fine, no backfire, no overheat, no lack of power..
  3. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the same one for sale on CL in the springs here ? very nice by the way i always thought it would be a great fire road bike with more suspension ..

Sorry refering to the dakar black version ...
  4. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the valves are set correctly...........and cylinder compression is good.....maybe an exhaust leak or a head gasket leak..........just a guess. Let us know what you find......
    Good luck on resolving your problem............:ear
  5. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think you are on the right track............contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics.....he knows suspension, set mine up with xr600 forks with racetech valves and built me a long travel Moab shock for my TA...........makes a miraculous difference.
    I think his website is motocd.com...........:wink:
  6. Dr E

Oddometer:
    Clockwatcher thank you! I have the front end covered thanks to a member on the site (just need to work out the final details) so your input is fantastic. I will contact him tomorrow and see if we can start a dialog on developing an option for what I am trying to accomplish. The fun thing and curse about building bikes is there are a million and one options you can use. I learned a long time ago, when you find something that works or meets your needs, go with it! Analyzing something to death can lead to vapor lock on a project and while I have some time to work on this, I want to spend more time riding than building. .
  7. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    Reading a bit old posts... RD03 swing with stock TA shock (also 375mm) gave me 45mm more height in rear. I think, with RD04 arm should be even a bit more as it is longer than RD03 swing.

8. danyila

danyila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Dr E

Oddometer:
    Spent the better part of Sunday afternoon reading this thread. I had hoped to be to the end by Thanksgiving...(Currently at post 4100). I am finding that this build of mine is taking on a life on of its own because of this thread and all of you.

Most bikes I work on are newer in nature so there is not a lot of information on what you can/can't do to them. Yet with the TA, the Mod thread is like going through a history book seeing all the work that people have done. But it does not stop there, the human factor is incredible and the trials and tribulations and even the passing of some members draws you into a very extended and wide family history. So many times I am tempted to respond to a question or comment but I have to stop myself as they were asked and answered 7 years ago. So as I work my way to the present day section of the thread I find that I am beginning to weave myself into a very long linage of riders and builders who are really paving the way for the new owners like myself. I hope my efforts to copy the work they have done, does them justice. Thank you all for what you have done, I look forward to what will be down the road.

Here is where we ended yesterday, the Givi bags are off and the few parts that are in are being laid out.

[​IMG]
  10. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing when I got my TA. For thoes of us into this stuff, it's like a good book you can't put down. It was interesting to trace the migration of individual bikes from new owner to new owner and the changes they made. Also the coming and going of owners as their needs/wants change. Some members have greater knowledge/experience in one area and others in different areas, most are very helpful with answering questions even if they have been answered many times before. It's unfortunate that many of the the early pictures have been "dropped" , and there is no assurance that recent pictures will endure. I have a very disorganized set of notes/references, and save or print things I want to keep. Looking forward to watching yours and others continuing interpretations.
  11. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Having gotten to know Dr. E through several emails I can tell you he's the right guy for such an undertaking. His mechanical experience and attitude will make this a fun project for all of us to enjoy and learn from.

There is a wealth of knowledge in everyone here so feel free to ask any questions.
  12. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find a vendor with any Givi engine guards in stock... Motorcycle Superstore showed on-line inventory available but none in reaity - and they are saying Givi won't give them a date on when they'll have any ready for shipping. I've just put a request in the flea market in case anyone has a set for sale or knows of someone who does.
  13. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised if anyone really stocks them anymore. I ordered from sporttour under the same deal (they didn't know how long it would take Givi to get them made) and got them in two weeks. This was just a couple months ago.
  14. JBMorse

JBMorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine here:
    http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/Engine-GuardbrHonda-Transalp__GIVTN363.aspx

They mention a modification needed to mount this guard. You may already know but the only modification really is that you need a longer bolt for the front engine mount than the one they include. It seems like the length needed isn't easy to find in the right metric size so most folks, including me, use a 5/16" bolt in the correct length instead, which works just fine.
  15. Crash48

Crash48 Secular Lord

Oddometer:
    Thank you JB and APP... Happy Trails called Givi for me while I was on the phone and discovered the last one in North America was sitting in Charlotte NC - on it's way to Dartmouth now:clap
  16. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    If anyone else needs a set, twisted throttle's website shows they have some in stock also. Usually pretty accurate.
  17. dfc

dfc nonattractive

Oddometer:
    I can't remember and I didn't flag it. Anyone know if an '87 xr600 triple/forks will mate up to the '89 Transalp? an Inmate is selling a set, not sure I am ready to do it but just in case.......
  18. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a highly modified 89 Transalp, Yes the one Jim has show earlier in this thread. :clap But my real question is does anyone have any advice on side rack for the bike ? It has a big Hayabusa muffler on it and while it does not look the best it sure is light, sounds good, and runs great. I do not know if this would interfere with a stock type side racks or not.

open to suggestions.

Marc
  19. old2wheeler

old2wheeler Former nÔÔb

Oddometer:
    La Veta, CO except for the wind, it'd be heaven
    I went out to the garage and measured mine. I have the one Happy Trails sells and there is 5 &1/2 " between the stock luggage rack and the inside of the side rack on the muffler side. If you use happy trails panniers, their mounting device takes up 3/8 " of that, but you can have them leave the drilling of the bolt holes for the two that would possibly interfere with the muffler and possibly choose a location that would not interfere. The side racks are connected to each other by a "u" shaped rod that goes under the tail light. That bolts to the side rack about 5 & 1/2 " lower than the bottom of the stock luggage rack. I'm really happy with the rack & the panniers. Hope this helps, & let me know if you need other measurements.

Rod
  20. shimazaki

shimazaki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe anyone can have a ideia of what maybe the problem,

this weekend I went for off road event with some friends and when coming back home on the road I've started to ear some noises on the engine, today I went to look at the bike and found no only a few oil in it, almost nothing... refilled the oil and went outside to ear the engine working, I've let the engine warm and the then give a bit of throttle and the sound was there again :cry I've took the bike for quick around the block and feel that above maybe 3000 rpm the sound was there and feel a lack of power, does anyone can give me a clue, hope I didn´t break the engine :( , at 1500/2000 rpm ear a tick, tick tick but higher rpm the sound changes and it turns louder,

:becca