Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    FWIW.....this is a much more accurate explanation of the mpg question being kicked around (winter vs. summer).

Colder air being more dense is harder (thicker) to pass through; thus, requiring a bit more work from the motor (& fuel consumption) for same result. The engine will actually require a richer mixture and produce a bit more horsepower at this time. Its why airplanes fly better in winter than summer....the air is more dense. Ask any pilot.

It has very little to do with any differences in refinery fuel blends (winter vs. summer). There are differences...yes. But not to the extent described earlier. I was a refinery engineer for several years. Neither blend is necessarily easier to make than the other, less costly, or lousier (per se).

You also typically carry more weight in the winter (thicker heavier clothing, etc).

Just some thoughts on the passing scene.

HF :thumbup
  2. NeilW

NeilW 2-up Adventure Touring Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gasoline expands in volume as it warms. Ideally, you pump cool gas from an in-ground tank, then it expands in your motorcycle tank while outside in the sun. Viola! More gas. Of course it works the other way around in the winter time. Since motorcycle gas tanks tend to be more exposed than automobile gas tanks, and with smaller volume, the effect is more pronounced.

Oil companies raise gas prices due to climate change. Since it's always getting warmer or colder, the same excuse always works.
  3. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what I thought. Just wondered if anyone had done it, and how it effected the rider's ergos and handling.
  4. Robert OK

Oddometer:
    Hadn't thought of the x version, but she wouldn't even try it at that height (35"). I'm impressed that you're cool with it at 5'4".
  5. Robert OK

Oddometer:
    It's a modern Bonnie which is too heavy, has cast wheels and average ground clearance. She loves the bike and would rather keep it exclusively for street.

If those tires are good for street though, might be something to consider for those occasions when we get stuck on gravel.
  6. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Too busy on my trip. Loving the trailer.

Setting up a base camp lets me go to places like this..
    [​IMG]
  7. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I think your wife would be pleased with the X, but even that is fairly on the tall side. I doubt it's close to a Bonneville.
    A Yamalink would and raising the forks in the clamps would probably do her right depending on her size.
    Some dualsport tires would be the key if you occasionally go exploring.

Note:
    2010 Triumph Bonneville Seat Height 29.1in
    2010 WR250X Seat Height 35.2in
  8. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the stock metal gas tank for the WRR that they want to part with? The person i sold my bike to says he needs it to register the bike in Washington state and i cannot place mine. The tank on it is a Safari and has already been registered in Montana.
    Although i don't see why he would need it, I told him i would provide him with one and so thats what i will do. I will pay a reasonable amount for one or be forever indebted or whatever.
    If you could PM me that would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  9. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is one for $60 from a few posts back in this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18936086#post18936086
  10. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The VPS and Storm share the same backbone. The Storm is a much bigger plastic and offers more protection. If you really hated the storm you could buy the VPS plastics only at a later date. Check out the barkbusters website for the details. This was the only pic i could find with my storm plastics.[​IMG]
  11. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and i had to buy the VPS kit and get the storm plastics separately, so i would double check they are selling a storm kit for the WR.
  12. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get a tank?
  13. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where in MT are you? I'm just south of Sandpoint, ID. And does your buyer just want it to get through registration, and then change back to the Safari? If so, he's welcome to borrow mine.
  14. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Gany
  15. soupknotzee

soupknotzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FIsh hows that Fandango working for you on the Safari? I already have a GL coyote and was thinking of giving the Fandango a go to use on my Safari.

16. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    At first i thought it would be too big but it is just right. Easy to remove and easy to refuel by partially unzipping and folding over. Thete is a bit of greenhouse effect with the map Pocket but im satasfied. I have several thousand miles on mine.
  17. NED RECK

NED RECK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HEY GUYS, SO I ONLY HAVE ROOM FOR 2 BIKES. THE 12GS STAYS. THE KLR'S BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME BUT I'M GETTIN A LITTLE BORED WITH IT. I CAN TAKE THE GS ANYWHERE (ALMOST) THE KLR WILL GO.
    BEEN READING THE HELL OUT OF THIS POST AND NOW SERIOUSLY LOOKING AT ONE OF THESE WR/R/X'S FOR GETTING A LITTLE DEEPER INTO THE OUTBACK.
    WILL THE STOCK SUSPENSION CARRY ME (205 LBS) AND THE NORMAL GEAR LOAD-OUT W/O MODIFICATION? SUSTAINED 70-75 MPH SLAB SECTIONS? HATE TO OFF THIS LOYAL GIRL BUT,,,,,,,,,LOOKIN AT SOME NEW STRANGE:evil.
  18. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    My wife rides a WRX with trimmed foam, lowering link, and adjusted to the lower stock settings. Front fork is about 1" out of the tree to balance things out. She is 5'4" and can nearly flatfoot it with her weight on the seat. I would guess her bike is an easy 3+ inches lower than my stock seat/max high WRX.

Having two WRs on a recent 2200 mile trip made a big difference. Only needed one set of tools, and spare parts were reduced since they fit either bike.
  19. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    hey redneck! Shore nuff will. My podna is easiliy 215 and rides his bone stocker everwhere i go! And wee's hauls ass!

full on caps lock!!!
  20. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I broke my light and i want to replace it with a stock replacement style light.

Has anyone fitted the baja designs 60-0002 here? Do you need to use the side mounts? It is much cheaper than the yamaha lens...