Jammin thru the Global South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jammin, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    Nope, no issues whatsoever of overheating due to altitude. My most extreme high-altitude riding was in Bolivia, where I spent about a week being above 10,000 ft and climbing up to 16,566 ft! and DR ran like a champ :clap I think the colder temps that come with altitude make up for any loss in density.
    Remember that the DR has a huge oil cooler, which is very efficient and Suzuki perfected this technology with their racing bikes and it works :deal

[​IMG]

Here's the video from that high altitude crossing and you can hear how the DR just purrs along :wink:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/21135548" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  2. Jammin

Oddometer:
    April 1, 2013

[​IMG]
    Bonda-wallas at Shilparamam Handicraft Village in Hyderabad, frying up fresh bondas, a deep-fried, fluffy, savory dough.

I enjoyed my week in Hyderabad. I gave an interview to the Times of India, met up with old highschool friends, Daya and Rohin, was given a thorough eye exam by my ophthalmologist brother-in-law, Pravin, and was taken shopping by my awesome sister, Lavanya.

I'm on a train heading back to Chennai, where I'll be awaiting the arrival of sanDRina in about a week. She's just landed in Singapore and should be getting on a ship to Chennai soon :)
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I recall my Suzuki Bandit beginning to seize while in evening traffic in Tallahassee. It too had the oil cooler but was an inline 4 rather than a single.
  4. Jammin

Oddometer:
    April 2, 2013

Here's a feature on my trip that got published today in the Times of India, Hyderabad Edition. Excuse the spelling mistakes :lol3 and the embellished quotes :deal

Click here for the online version: http://toi.in/3snqKa

[​IMG]
    (Click the image for higher res of the page scan.)
  5. Rider14

Rider14 Rider14

Oddometer:
    Awesome.

- Dan
  6. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Mozambique, Part 3: A Visit to Ilha de Moçambique, An Enigmatic Island
    December 11 - 13, 2012

From Pemba, I headed south to Ilha de Moçambique (Mozambique Island), the small island that was the epicenter of Portuguese East Africa. It lies just off the coast, near Nampula, and at 3 kms long by 500 m wide, it's densely packed with old Portuguese colonial buildings and infused with Arabic and Swahili culture. Vasco da Gama landed on the island in 1498 and subsequently, the Portuguese established a naval base to resupply and protect their trade routes to India. Before the Portuguese arrived, an Arab merchant with the name of Musa-Al-Big was living there and his name was given to the island and later to the mainland.

Besides soaking in the colonial architecture and the relaxed vibe of Ilha de Moçambique, I was there to visit a charity organization called Projecto Oceano who run afterschool programs for the kids on the island. As per my duties to The Muskoka Foundation, who connect overland travelers with volunteer opportunities, I was there to see if Projecto Oceano would be a good partner for Muskoka.

(Click on the panoramas for the full size image.)

[​IMG]
    I left sunny Pemba and realized that I was riding straight into a thunderstorm. Battling the crosswinds made for a good workout.

[​IMG]
    Enjoying the sight of pointed inselbergs that dot the northern Mozambican landscape.

[​IMG]
    I caught up with the thunderstorm and just as before, I sought shelter with the locals as the heaviest of the rain and lightning passed.

[​IMG]
    Friendly guys and curious about this stranger on his grande moto.

[​IMG]
    The rain eased and after 409 kms (254 mi) from Pemba, I arrived at Causarina Camping, just across from Ilha de Moçambique. The place was empty and I setup camp under one of those thatched huts.

[​IMG]
    A beautiful view from my beach campsite. That's Ilha de Moçambique on the horizon, connected to the mainland by a single lane causeway.

[​IMG]
    The next morning, I boarded a pickup just like everyone else going to Ilha for the day. The driver waits till the truck is packed and that means patrons grab on to anywhere they can. (I'm telling you, I blend in so well with my one brown hand and one black hand :p )

[​IMG]
    Riding to Ilha de Moçambique on the single-lane causeway, which was built in the 1960s.

[​IMG]
    Fishermen walking on water. The bay is very shallow and the tides create dramatic changes.

[​IMG]
    Entering Ilha de Moçambique and passing through Makuti Town, where the majority of the island's inhabitants live. Renamo is the opposing political party in Mozambique and they fought a brutal civil war from 1977 to 1992 with Frelimo, who are currently in charge. Renamo generally control the north, which is less developed, while Frelimo controls the south, the more prosperous half of Mozambique.

[​IMG]
    I hopped off the pickup truck and strolled around empty Stone Town, noting this old madrasa (Islamic school).

[​IMG]
    The buildings on Ilha de Moçambique are pretty rundown but as captured here, there's quite an effort to spruce things up with some new paint and attract the tourists. I've been told that Ilha is like what Zanzibar was before it became popular.

[​IMG]
    Islamic tile art.

[​IMG]
    A friendly fruit vendor who encouraged me to try this...

[​IMG]
    ...super sour fruit. He sprinkled some sea salt on it but it was still pretty sour. Hey, I'll try anything at least once.

[​IMG]
    Fishermen repairing their boat. Ilha de Moçambique was a big port in its hey days but things have slumped as business has moved to other ports, such as the new one at Nacala.

[​IMG]
    Time for a mid-morning snack and I found this hole-in-the-wall eatery. It was a family's house and I was sitting at their dining table with a bed to my right and a washing area in front.

[​IMG]
    They were serving up fried camarões (shrimp) for 5 Meticais ($0.17) for a bunch and 5 Mets for the boiled cassava. Served with a tangy hot sauce.
  7. Jammin

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    The man of the fried camarões house and...

[​IMG]
    ...his daughter who was tasked with cleaning and washing.

[​IMG]
    Back on the streets and walking past the old armory.

[​IMG]
    A grounded dhow, which once transported people and now transports nutrients.

[​IMG]
    Cross and canon, the two arms of Portuguese colonization, at Fortaleza de São Sebastião.

[​IMG]
    The statue of Luis de Camões, a poet who fell in love with a local slave girl.

[​IMG]
    The old and the new. The entire island is a UNESCO World Heritage site and money is pouring in to renovate the dilapidated buildings and turn them into boutique hotels.

[​IMG]
    A star-shaped cake that a boy was selling down one of the numerous alleys in Stone Town.

[​IMG]
    Ganesha on Ilha. I stopped by the Hindu temple that's been here for a few centuries. Such a mix of cultures on such a small island.

[​IMG]
    The Hindu priest, stationed all by his lonesome self on Ilha. He was so excited to meet another Indian as his family is back in Diu, an ex-Portuguese colony in western India.

[​IMG]
    I met up with Rob, who rode down a day later than me from Pemba and we both met up with Jessica who runs Projecto Oceano.

[​IMG]
    Jessica having a weekly meeting with some of her students. Her organization provides afterschool activities for the kids as the educational system on the island is very basic. I was here to see whether Projecto Oceano would like to partner with The Muskoka Foundation, who connect overland travelers with volunteer opportunities in distant lands. I got the ball rolling and now, the next Muskoka traveler coming down Africa can choose to spend a few days on Ilha and run some workshops with Jessica for the kids.

[​IMG]
    The old port on Ilha, which traded heavily in spices, gold and slaves.

[​IMG]
    A guard and his friend playing their version of mancala next to a huge canon.

[​IMG]
    A papaya tree taking root in this poor old building. Given enough time, Nature will reconquer our bricks and mortar.

[​IMG]
    A beautiful coconut tree seen through a space among the crowd of old buildings.

[​IMG]
    Ilha de Moçambique and its beautiful beaches.

[​IMG]
    The day ending over the Church of Santo António.

[​IMG]
    Heading home down the colorful alleys of Ilha de Moçambique.

[​IMG]
    And it was time for Rob and I to head back to our campsite, across the bridge.

A beautiful day on Ilha de Moçambique and I'm happy I could visit her before commercialization takes over. There's tasty food, quiet and historical streets to meander through and beautiful, warm people to meet.
  8. bharath316

bharath316 Madbull

Oddometer:
    Met Jai today. He had come to the Bessie beach to meet the Madras Bulls Enfield club boys.

It was nice listening to your ride stories Jai.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for warm welcome, Bharath. I enjoyed my first ride on a proper Bullet :ricky looking forward to the day ride tomorrow :D
  10. venky410

venky410 n00b

Oddometer:
    damn i am missing to meet you and the city ride tomorrow... Jai hope you are having a great time with Madbulls out there...
  11. Jammin

Oddometer:
    April 8, 2013

[​IMG]
    I hooked up with the Madras Bulls Motorcycling Club and Bharath, here, let me ride his beautiful army green Royal Enfield Bullet Thunderbird 500. More than two dozen Bullets showed up for the Sunday morning ride from Besant Nagar to the Royapuram Fishing Harbour. After a hearty breakfast of appams and mutton curry, the group split and a few of us went exploring on the beach. I was thrilled that we managed to find a way to ride from Marina Beach to Elliot's Beach in Besant Nagar all along the beachfront! What a cool bunch of bikers; not afraid to splash some salt water all over their bikes and get sand everywhere for the thrill of exploring some new routes. I'm highly impressed with the Bullet; feels solid, love the thumping and stable in the sand :ricky

In other news: I got my Indian Driving License today! Ha, now I'm legal :deal
  12. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Hey Venky, I had a great time with the MadBulls. Glad I could finally ride a Bullet! Enjoyed it :ricky
  13. Jammin

Oddometer:
    April 10, 2013

Here's a tasty article written by Alice Gugelev&#65279; on Good.is about the chicken curry that I've been cooking on my journey :dg

http://www.good.is/posts/why-i-take-over-people-s-kitchens-all-over-the-world

Excerpt: 'The site of Jay bursting into someone’s kitchen to start preparing his famous chicken curry sounds strange to many of us, even more so for a woman to let a strange biker into her house because her husband just met him on the road.' :lol3

Here's the recipe if you want to try my Jammin Chicken Curry: http://bit.ly/jaycurry

[​IMG]
    (not sure about the bike they used :fpalm )
  14. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good write-up, terrible bike...

Nice to hear the motorcycle wheels are still turning!
  15. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.. He could have chosen a KLR... :rofl
    I'm pretty impressed how far it took him.
  16. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..........or, he could have chosen and XR650 :lol3
  17. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure Shibby was referring to the bike pictured on the cover page of the article that Jay posted.
    Looks like some random Guzzi clone? .. Or? .. Certainly not a DR650, the bike Jay used for about 75K miles or so.

A well set up KLR could have made the trip too ... but the DR seems slightly tougher, easier to work on, simpler and more reliable.

Either DR650 or KLR would likely last double the distance and carry double the load of ANY KTM single ... and cost half as much! :thumb
  18. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's impressive how the Europeans managed to influence so many parts of the world. Thanks for sharing

Later
    John
  19. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, I was refering to the bike pictured in the article. I see no reason why they couldn't show the ACTUAL bike, because that's whats interesting and has character. Instead they posted one that obviously wasn't used.

Motor has me thinking it's a Guzzi as well.

But since we're here. He could have chosen a KTM690...... :evil
  20. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    He could have done a lot worse than he did. Its really interesting to see how some bikes last and some go kaput. There have been many successful runs on a KLR.. but then you see Fletcher having a hell of a hard time with his. I think he will be much happier on my old 640 ADV.:D
    Then you have the "two moto kiwis" who traded in their DRs for a KTM 950SE. I personally get PMs every week about how my 690 is the "wrong bike" and it won't last but it has been noting but awesome for me.

All that aside, this ride report is still epic and keeps me wanting more.