Yamaha forks on a BMW F650GS Dakar

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by skibum_1260, Oct 23, 2008.

1. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
    if anyone has a setup or drawing for the abs sensor it would be much appreciated
  2. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
    was there a 2nd order put in???? crap

well i guess the most you have to do is put washers in beween the bracket and the fork leg and thats most you will have to do i guess.

i am going to do a drawing of part i made and i can post it up and see if it matches the one RAD made
  3. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    yup, got the drawings. been away from home since monday pm.

will have em up in a couple of hours.

did look into the lowering links for the funduro $150 for kuba links, kinda spendy so i'll be making my own.
  4. wswartzwel

wswartzwel Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Yes but he has some extra I believe...
  5. BMW Iceland

BMW Iceland Wet toes

Oddometer:
    Reykjavik, on the edge of Motorcycle Heaven
    You should be able to find them used at some bike breaker, the links I have in my workshop are taken from Aprilia Pegaso 650 97 that I "un lowered":evil for a customer but the same kit fits 93-99 Funduro and 94-00 Pegaso.
  6. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    :doh, never thought of that

Thanks for the info, now to send a couple of emails :lol3
  7. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
    let me know if you hear if has more and if fits your forks i would be tempted get rid of my heavy bracket for his much nicer part
  8. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    You might want to contact directly then. I think he said the parts will be ready around the 7th.
  9. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    Finally got the dogbone drawing finished :clap

[​IMG]

That's for a 1 inch lift, hopefully. The 20mm hole is going to have a stainless steel insert pressed into it as the stock links are wearing on the bolts at that point. These are the inserts.

[​IMG]

Can't find any funduro lowering links so i'm going with this. There will be some filing needed when the machining is done tho :lol3
  10. komatias

komatias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing these... saved me alot of time.

A few comments though:

The stockers should not be wearing at the lower holes at all. When you clamp them on the lower part of the cam, you should be applying compressional force directly to the bushing through the two large cap type things. If you have wear, it is probably due to not enough torque applied to the bolt or you have shot bearings. The bolt should not move separately from the bushing.

I will also check the press fit tolerances you state. Have a feeling they are on the lower side. will report back on this.

PS:

Had a look at the tolerancing. SKF prescribe a J6 tolerance on the housing of our bearings. So that would mean the dimension would be 24mm +0.008 -0.005 which is what you got. Well done that man!
  11. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    thought i'd get it right, seeing as i work at an engineering firm :lol3

As for the grade, was going to use 6061 t6 or 6082 t6. But then i realised rad used 7075-T61 in the caliper hangers.

I'm thinking of using the 7075 then getting it hard anodised once it's machined. Mainly to keep corrosion at bay, But then is 7075 overkill as i'm pretty sure the stock links are not anything aproaching that grade.

what do you think :ear

As for the links wereing, bearings are fine and torqued correctly.
  12. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Absolutely not, and although the parts look beautiful and maintain the original braking set up, it is totally unnecessary. I've been riding mine since the augmentation (early January) very, very hard. I've never had any issues on any terrain or hill, or high speed stop, water, sand nor gravel. I removed my ABS as well over a year ago and have no regrets. I have over 9000 miles on this set up and have torn it down to check all components and have witnessed no unordinary wear.

Once again, the parts are beautiful and as far as I can see, fit nice and do the job, but are totally unnecessary. Cheers to Radman for that.

I was one of the last guys in on this thread, but had my conversion done before everyone, as far as I can tell, and therefore have the most riding experience on this set up. Some of the first guys on this thread still have not completed their mods, and therefore have no basis for giving an opinion.

Sorry guys, but it's the truth.

You've seen some of the pics of some of the riding I do, and have heard others speak (write) of my riding skills and abilities. I do not treat my equipment very nicely, but whip it, beat it and kick it until it's dead. If this set up was not going to work with the stock brake system, I would've already had a failure.

If you want to spend a shit load of cash and wait for along time befoe you actually get to ride, then go the way of this thread. If you want to ride and have fun, while being completely safe and having more than enough braking power, then just buy the shit, and contact me and we'll have you up and riding in a day.:freaky

More ridey, less talky.................

I'll be out in Mojave on Sunday with the local desert FFs. I believe you're going out with Ben99R1. If so, I'll see you either at the Mojave airport or in Randsburg. You can check out my set up and ride it if you'd like.
  13. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    It seams to me that Most of those doing this conversion could go your route when they start the conversion, even if they want to do Rads parts/way as a final goal. it's just a extra wheel, caliper and rotor right?

So follow Not-my-name-is-to-long's :evil advice and get all the parts, put them on, and Ride Your Bike. then get the axle and brake conversion parts as the become available to finish it later. I'm sure you could even make a "sensor ring" without to much trouble for your ABS, if you have it.
  14. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    DustRat6650 look at it this way, it's entirely up to you. What do you want to get out of the bike?

I wanted to keep the stock wheel and caliper along with the abs setup as i do a lot of road miles, most of which are in the rain as i live in the uk, where it rains all the goddamn time, it's just a little extra security. Will i fix the abs unit if it decides that life isn't worth living anymore, nope it'll get binned but while its working its staying put.

I've found the parts to do it notmybikes way on ebay for $414 delivered, thats not including bits like bearings and brake lines.

My build was around the same area at $448 but i made the axle myself, or more fittingly i got the drawing office at work to design it and a suplier to the company to make it for me for free, i just supplied the material.:deal

Which just happened to be on the rack in the workshop :lol3

Might even be able to do that with the links for the rear suspension.:wink:

If you want a more dirt orientated machine go notmybikes route, or if your just after a front suspension upgrade while keeping the stock wheel and braking system go rads way, it's that simple.
  15. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Absotively!

Most shorten it to NMBMN, or Rob.
  16. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Also keep in mind that NMtoomanybloodylettersinanabreviation's bike is about half the weight as yours (most likely) and that he never rides with added weight (I reckon).
  17. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Not much more needs to be said then that :D . Seems to be too much keyboard engineering going on here :deal

I was one of the first to get Rad's axle/brake parts and I beleive besides Rad and Rob was one of the early riders on this coversion. I had 2 set's of BMW wheels for my bike and new brake parts which is why I ultimately went with Rad's parts (also 'cause I like a nicely designed system). I don't have ABS and if I did would have ripped it off ages ago like Rob. I have put about 4000 miles on this set up and throughly abused it on the stock fork internals too with great success.

My buddy has the stock YZ set-up with YZ wheel and brake (like Rob) and we ride together pretty much all the time. He went this route after riding my bike and having to have the YZ fork. He was short on money so we did the stocker route and ya know what, works every bit as good as mine :lol3 .

[​IMG]
    black bike is stock YZ, blue bike is Rad's kit (ugh, glad I got rid of that stock fender)

Now get your f**king forks on and go ride your bikes! :D Rob, if I bring my bike out with me in March, we should hook up and ride in the desert. I'll be in your back yard and coming right down I-15 to LA (Fontana)

Matto
  18. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    WP Touratech suspension kit: $3,200 (before price increase and free shipping--thanks nmbmn)

Less original suspension front hub, and unnecessary weight including turnsigs, abs, plastic possum scraper, etc, etc: - $1,200 weight loss approx: 45lbs

Not mentioning anything to the wife: priceless. About $2K net cost....

And the proof is my bike kicks ass on nmbmns bike as clealy shown in the photo. Ahead by at least 12 ft.

[​IMG]

Also shown kicking ass on a KTM 690.
  19. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Geez, double post to rub it in, eh Helmet? :rofl
  20. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Where you guys riding there? Looks like my back yard up in the hills (CO)