Cappadocia/TURKEY (August '12)

Discussion in 'Photos' started by D-Rat, Nov 2, 2012.

1. D-Rat

D-Rat n00b

Oddometer:
    Cappadocia - Land Of Beautiful Horses

In the time of Herodotus, the Cappadocians were reported as occupying the whole region from Mount Taurus to the vicinity of the Euxine (Black Sea). Cappadocia, in this sense, was bounded in the south by the chain of the Taurus Mountains that separate it from Cilicia, to the east by the upper Euphrates and the Armenian Highland, to the north by Pontus, and to the west by Lycaonia and eastern Galatia.
    The name was traditionally used in Christian sources throughout history and is still widely used as an international tourism concept to define a region of exceptional natural wonders, in particular characterized by fairy chimneys and a unique historical and cultural heritage. The term, as used in tourism, roughly corresponds to present-day Nevşehir Province. In pre-Hellenistic times, Persians, Hittites Assyrians and Greeks all lived in Cappodocia. All of these groups were Hellenised in the era of the Greek city-states. During the Middle Ages, after the settlement of Armenians in the Cappadocian theme during the Byzantine era, numerous Turkish tribes invaded the region, which was subsequently settled by them. Since 1915-1922 Turkish people constitute the vast majority of the population of this region.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures!

Are they near Goreme?

I visited that area in '03. It's a fascinating area.
  3. D-Rat

D-Rat n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, Actually they are mixed pictures, but the balloon pictures from Goreme...

Absolutely fascinating area, did you visit underground cities?
  4. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
    We visited one of the underground cities, but I can't recall the name at the moment. I think I watched a sunset from the top of the hill in your 5th picture.

Edit: the underground city was Kaymakli and I believe the hill in the picture is the "Uchisar Castle."
  5. Turkishexpress

Turkishexpress Groper

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Makes me miss the homeland. I grew up in Antalya right at the skirts of the Taurus mountains.
  6. D-Rat

D-Rat n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, It is Uchisar Castle, and I went to Derinkuyu... It is the biggest underground city