Atlanta Riders - Stay AWAY from the Key Road/Constitution area.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SwampApe, Dec 26, 2012.

1. SwampApe

SwampApe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend and I had just finished riding and were exiting the trailhead. My buddy was about 100 feet ahead of me and went down the hill to the exit first. I could barely see the top of his helmet but then I heard what was certainly gunfire. 13 shots (10 at him, 3 at me) as he sped away. Apparently the guy said "give me the bike motherfucker" and my buddy rode off full throttle like a badass hanging off the side of his bike.

I saw my buddy get away, turned around fast as fuck (I was still at the top of the hill) and sped toward the rear exit of the trail. Washed out in a massive mud puddle and almost shit my pants while trying to get my bike back upright and gtfo. Sped away in the opposite direction and finally met up with my friend at the police station.

The guy(s) saw another riders truck parked at the trail head and figured he was going to camp out and kill whoever owned it for their bikes when they showed back up. Guess he needed some last minute Xmas gifts. Too bad he was a terrible fucking shot.

Tl;dr - some dumb fuck fired 13 shots at us and missed trying to steal our bikes. We got away.

:(:
  2. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Day trip reports usually include some pictures of scenery and food and stuff...
  3. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I ride in this area with these guys. I cannot stress ENOUGH, if you ride in secluded areas, carry self protection, be it bear spray or a hand gun. Inner-city Atlanta can be a fuckin scary place, and you should always have some sort of self-dense weapon.
    I'm glad these guys are OK, great dudes with a passion for fun dirt riding. We will probably ride outside the perimeter from now on.
  4. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised these riders were not packing. Everyone of my family members in Georgia has a CCW permit and always armed. But still glad they were not hurt.
  5. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to ride the track over behind the drive in many moons ago. It was rough over there back then, and I would think any wooded area inside the perimeter, you need to keep your guard up. :deal Ride fast and don't slow down for anyone. :nod
  6. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Is that a model airplane runway? It looks like one. and I never go riding without a pistol on me.I hate even driving through Atlanta............
  7. Grad

Grad Wannabe

Oddometer:
    How would packing have even helped? If you are riding along and someone suddenly fires 13 shots at you, you should GTFO of there instead of taking the time to reach for your piece.
  8. fastdirt505

fastdirt505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Imagine if you got shot as you were approaching or getting away and you hit the ground. Then you reach in your jacket as the thugs start coming your way. Would you want a gun in that situation...I would. I know exactly what kind of people you were dealing with. Living outside Atlanta my whole life and working in the city a lot I see it first hand. It's a jungle in the bad areas of Atlanta. People get shot and murdered everyday in Atlanta for nothing. I'd stay away from anything that's close to Memorial Dr. Glad yall got out alive.
  9. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl
  10. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    I work that area 4 days a week and it can be a little nerve racking at times but it is really not that bad. Most of all that is over done by the yuppie white folks that live otp. The Yuppies say that same thing about mountain people and banjo's:D

I just want to point out that you were assuming that he was gonna steal your dirt bike.
    Maybe he wanted all the dirt bike people to stop TRESPASSING!
    That is private land and no matter where you are if you are riding on private land then you should be prepared to be shot at!
    If it is itp or otp or in the country most land owners do not like trespassers.

In my mind hard to complain about someone else doing something illegal why you yourself are also doing something illegal.
    Kinda like turning in your pot dealer for ripping you off!:huh

just my opinion and everybody has one:D
  11. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will say that bouldercrst park does have some interesting residents but they sleep most of day. :D

They did get up early the first Tuesday of November and go VOTE apparently!
  12. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  13. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer:
    They all do that.
  14. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I've lived in inner-city Atlanta for over 8 years. If a young (black) male approaches you, you better have your guard up. It sucks there is a stereotype, but that's life, especially in inner-cities of the South. This guy was not a land owner, he was trying to steal the bike by means of deadly force. These young boys have nothing to loose, as they've watched their older siblings run the same life and end up in jail. They know they are eventually destined for jail, so they don't give a fuck. When you don't give a fuck, you'll do anything to get what you want. Google 'Ghetto or thug mentality' and you will see what I mean. It's a very, very sad outlook on life and unfortunately a lot of youth don't make it out alive or not incarcerated. If it was a land owner, it would be someone with authority by the city of Atlanta, because this area is gov't owned. It's pipeline.

I don't think it's really funny to make light of the situation either. These are 2 friends of mine that I ride with and could have been seriously injured or killed. The lesson learned is to a. stay away from dangerous places in inner-cities or b. if you risk doing that, stay protected.
  15. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have worked in the inner city all my career and I don't feel this way at all I work in and out of my trruck all day in all these HOODS with all the hoodlums 4 days a week and it is just not this bad .
    They prey on the weak like a bully so if you do not appear weak then they don't bother you, shit I am down there in it with my overalls on and my camo hat. :rofl
    That land is owned by the city of Atlanta but the gas line has a easement and the bottom line is you buddies are not allowed to ride there and they were trespassing!

Sounds like you live scared of your neighbors and should move back to the burbs with the yuppies. I was not making light of the situation just pointing out that you and your buddies apparently think it is ok for you to break the rules but if others get mad about then it is ok! Classic

The lesson learned here is If you are trespassing or being a thug who does not give a Fuck or breaking any law or infringing on others,then you should expect to be shot at period.
  16. bikefree

bikefree misadventurer

Oddometer:
    I have worked and played in Atlanta since 1996. I commute every day, leave my car in the inner city to run before work. I drive to different locations for work and park my car in the most crime ridden areas of the city and have never been bothered. For the past 3 years, I have been part of a hashing running club. We drive to all parts of the city including the constitution road area in the evenings, park our cars and often don't get back until midnight. Hashing involves running through the woods, neighborhoods, and every f**cked up area we can find. Most of our hashes go through the inner city. We run through the projects, through parks etc. I was running just a couple miles from your location just last night. Neither my car or myself has ever been harmed from another individual. I have been threatened for trespassing many times, but that is my fault for being on someone elses property.

Not saying that Atlanta is a safe city and your story shows that problems can occur, but it ain't a war zone and you can spend time in the ATL and be very safe.
  17. Jackazz

Jackazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to understand this lesson; Trespass on city property with a gas easement and you deserve to be shot at by someone else with no legal ties to the property who wants to steal your bike? :norton

I'm glad your not my dad! :lol3

JA
  18. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes Adventurer

Oddometer:

Cause you're running with Haitians. Duh...
  19. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Makes ZERO sense.
  20. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    Atlanta is not a terrible city. In fact, I thought it was relatively safe. I went to school in Atlanta and often went to night classes and had to walk all over the city to get between different buildings...Georgia State University is an urban campus. I packed heat every day, but never once felt the least bit threatened. Having grown up outside Los Angeles Atlanta was like Neverland.