XT1200Z: The new WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Wasp, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Bargenator

Bargenator Bargenator

Oddometer:
    Greg, has the mods done to the centre stand along with the 25mm raising of the ride height made it easier to get up on the centre stand or same ol' same ol', as I am assuming by doing the mod there would be a bit more weight thrown forward onto the front wheel.

Cheers mate.
  2. Tony R

Tony R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update on the Oxfords. I will get a set when our winter starts in May next year. This is the most informative thread ever. :clap
    The Tenere is the most impressive bike I have ever owned and I have left mine completely standard to date other than a Givi E47 top box. With reference to the shaft drive I have to say you never know you riding a shaftie. Did my first offroad ride on Sunday with a group of BMW GS riders. Three went down in the mud because of the torque steer. The Tenere sailed through. :lol3
  3. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear another satisfied owner. :clap

Wait a minute, that simply can't be! We're talking about mighty BMW GS!....'King of the Outback' with superior German engineering and boatloads of 'Character.' Just read any euro rag :rofl Are you sure your eyes weren't playing tricks on you. Maybe the ride was just a dream...yeah that would explain it :lol3
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Torque steer? Is the GS FWD?

- Mark
  5. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, but it's shaft drive :D . I'm thinking it had more to do with the shorter wheelbase and more abrupt pwr curve and the more twitchy geometry of the GS
  6. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Not being happy with the orientation of the bent outlet on the Stainless muffler (had to rotate it to clear), I realized that with a bit of careful aligning I could make a straight outlet exhaust work by passing the gases above the indicator rather than besides or below it.
    Another side benefit of the "oval" shape of the muffler is that it obviously does not stick outboard as far as a round unit., and in fact allows considerably more clearance to the tyre as well.

I have also been obsessing with the colour arrangement of pannier boxes and the like and it came to me that the black muffler would probably be less "in-your-face" that the polished stainless.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only it happened before the fact (foresight) more often than after the fact it would have saved me the hassle of cutting, pressing, and welding the brackets on the silver muffler.
    I really dig the look of the carbon and black outlet and am so glad I chose to look further rather than committing to what I had.

I have some delivery deadlines to meet at the start of next week so I probably wont be able to make the tailpipe as soon as I would like, but I will post info on the construction as soon as I am onto it. The delay will actually allow a bit of time to machine and black anodize a knuckle bone style mount for the muffler to frame connection.

Soon after I finish the exhaust I will be setting to work on the fabricated pillion peg carriers to suit this new configuration.

Although I have the full compliment of silver Trax boxes I am still not convinced that is the way to go... Silver is so "out there" while i maintain that black boxes "stealth" things away a bit more. That may well be the case in the future with the carbon muffler on board now.
    I may even go down the path of Black Ceramic coating on the exhaust as Barginator has done... I did this on my Ducati SC1000 and was astounded by how much it lowered the radiant heat from the pipes. Much easier to keep clean as well.:evil

Greg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. TDMTAM

TDMTAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Black carbon can looks really good. Great work & great thread looking forward to more upgrades.
    I'd like a set of them cans on my TDM900.
    TAM
  8. Bikeaddict

Bikeaddict Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer:
    Yes Greg, that's it. This muffler looks fantastic, nothing to do w/ the previous one. Great change ! :clap
  9. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must be a different Sub frame on the World Crosser and also the fact it does not need a pillion so the Akro is mounted further forward and higher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    For an very clever country of people, the Japanese somehow loose the plot at times when it comes to the little things..
    Who in their right mind would position a heated grip controller (especially the size of the Yamaha unit) up there INYOURFACE beside the left mirror.
    I mean it's not like a flasher switch that needs instant access:huh.

Anyway. I had always planned to move the controller from the recommended position to one that was a little more discrete.
    Along with all the other laser-cutting that I had done earlier in the week, was this small stainless steel bracket to enable a move from the original position to below/beside the dash pod.

Here's what it looks like.
    I didnt have time to powder-coat it and, as it is stainless steel, I just hit it with some satin black from a spray can.
    [​IMG]

Because of the location of this little bracket I had to remove the screen and headlight surround, remove the triangular dash cover, and change the top R/H headlight mount bolt for one slightly longer.
    [​IMG]

You can see here which bolt I am using to fasten the bracket onto.
    The standard bolt was just a whisker to short to carry the bracket + a washer and nylock nut.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I only had stainless cap screws and no factory looking black hex bolts.. Wasnt I me that was saying anything is possible - you just gota plan ahead:huh.
    [​IMG]

After re-routing the heater control wires above the headlight, I assembled the controller onto the bracket (zip tieing the wiring loom back to the underside of the bracket.
    [​IMG]

and positioned the bracket over the stud (already retained in a captive nut), and fitted a new washer and nylock nut.
    [​IMG]

I re-assembled all of the dash and headlight assembly and there you go.
    No interference with any of the controls or cables at full lock in both directions.
    Nice and discrete, a bit of a stretch but easy enough to reach although I generally have it on half or off.
    [​IMG]

Greg.
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!! :clap Of course, it begs the question why can't Japanese bikes have heated grip controllers added to the switch controls, à la - gasp - bmw. :scratch Even on the Goldwing, the heated grips controller is way down on the throttle side of the fairing, no less.

Hey Greg, if you don't plan on selling this little part, would you be able to share a PDF with the template? :D
  12. What's down there?

What's down there? n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thread Greg have watched from the sidelines over the last 3/12 and bought a couple of weeks ago. Very happy camper it's a better bike than i am rider and look forward to doing a lap of Oz in Feb 2011. As noted the standard screen is shite but i was surprised, as to how bad it actually is. (Ordered the shorty and Large tourer from calsci tonight).

I reviewed your earlier post and didn't actually see a reply as to how you found the side wind deflectors? Are they worth $200 as quoted by the dealer?

You also mentioned you bought a Garmin cheap, mind if i ask where?

Opinion on your muffler - a bit plane jane but with a well cut guard should look the goods, will look forward to seeing the finished result. I'm also waiting for Mr Motorad to get back from his gravy train shopping trip to buy a few bits, can you tell me how hard it would be to make the Motorad engine guards sit out the same distance as it is already annoying me and i haven't bought them yet (and don't like all the others), i can't understand why they wouldn't set them the same.

Finally when are you going to knock out a few of the fuel tank's for the pillion seat, preferably with a comfy cushion on top for the missus to perch and a rag out the side for me to light if she chirps to much?

Thanks for the posts

Dave
  13. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    that new exhaust looks TITS..

where do I sign ??
  14. What's down there?

What's down there? n00b

Oddometer:
    Apologies only saw the silver and not the black .... put me down for one!
  15. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Wait till you see what I have in mind for the pillion hangers Warna.. You aint seen nothing yet.
    I'm hanging out to get rid of that huge conglomeration of a pillion peg/heat shroud thingy.:puke1

Greg.
  16. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    It's got me stuffed. The GS/A controller is great to use and really well positioned. Goes to prove it does not need to be a potentiometer style when two or three position does the trick.

I will cut a batch if there is demand for them. (pm me).
    They should be cheep enough. I will do them ex mild steel and powdercoat black.

Greg.
  17. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I didnt think the deflectors were $200 (shop around).
    I am positive they enhance the wind shedding experience with the (med) Calsci screen, and I am quite sure they even serve the intended function to a degree with the small and OEM screens. Perhaps not as choppy as without.
    In combination with the lips on the side fairings they do a really good jib of shedding rain at touring speeds to.

The Garmin GPSMAP60CSx is on sellout special at Anaconda at the moment.
    You might have to phone around but they are $299 out the door.
    I bought Garmin Topo maps as well... = good bit of kit.
    I also purchased the Touratech dampened lockable mount and made a S'S handlebar mount to secure it all.
    Great setup especially with the Garmin hard wired power cable.

I will be designing (very soon) a complete replacement rack (similar to GS/A:eek1) that will be a componable system allowing boxes to be mounted in the normal position, or be mounted forward with removal of the seat. This forward position will also enable carriage of a clip-in fuel module for long distance touring/adv...:evil

Its a tuff decision.. Light that wick and it not only gets rid of her but probably you and the bike..:cry
    Might be just as easy to leave the TC off, with mode set too "S" and practice pillion dumping wheelies.

Greg
  18. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg, the muffler looks great, but will it be compatible with pannier rack and a side case? Will the turn signal indicator receive a bit of insulated covering of some kind to help protect it or what?

JDP
  19. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    JDP,
    I tested the Yamaha panniers and SW-M panniers and racks and they both still fit with this configuration.

The exhaust outlet passes gas between the indicator and the grabrail/pannier bolts to a degree where I dont believe it will have an adverse heat effect on any of the components.

Greg.
  20. Stressfest

Stressfest ekki-ekki-pitang

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg,

Where did you get the map for the Garmin? Been using the freeware versions floating around which do the job, but not 100%

Thinking of going the Trax route on my R1200 GS... hows the build quality?

Adios