XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that's a mud hole! :eek1

Spud :lol3
  2. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Yes, I remember that NC mud... sticky sticky stuff! Not much worse than the Oregon clay out here though.

I hope Santa comes early this year. I need my new clutch soon!
  3. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Custom made to take Rotapac Fuel tanks and sleeping bag, tent etc on back. Bolt straight onto subframe supports. Let me know if you want more pictures of it.

4. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    :ear :lurk :deal :ricky
  5. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

I remember Willamette Valley clay. However, now that I'm in Western GA I can tell you the clay soil here is redder and sticky-er than anything in OR. It stains anything if left on too long.:eek1
  6. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure... If you get around to it... That'd be great. I've been talking to Mike at Manracks... He's holding a SD rack for me now... One similar to Spud's. Mike has been very responsive and great to deal with so far.

Sierra (or anyone else who can comment)... I've got my de-smogging kit ordered. I quickly skimmed the removal pics/instructions on 4strokes.com... Looks like a pretty straight forward process. Is there anything I should be on the look out for or pay particular attention to when doing the removal? Any other adjustments or mods that are necessary after removing the smog kit?

Thanks... Clint
  7. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Don't remove the oil separator, that black cup thing behind the petcock. It's not part of the smog control and it's actually useful :D
  8. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am exhausted just looking at that picture!
  9. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    +1

[​IMG]

John
  10. absoluteclint

Oddometer:
    John and Whitmore... Thanks for the advice and diagram. That will be printed and have a permanent home in the garage-library. Got a link for anymore simple, internal diagrams like that?

Bearcat... You're right! I knew pretty quick I wasn't going anywhere. I spun the wheel one good time and wiggled/pulled/rocked the bike once... No movement... I went straight to the phone for a bailout call!

I'm thinking of getting something like this to carry along on unsure trails...
    http://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-PowR-...2602&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=cpmpact+come+along (removable handle... only 12 inches long... pretty compact)

or

http://www.amazon.com/Wel-Bilt-Manual-Lever-Chain-Hoist/dp/B004HL06GG/ref=pd_cp_hi_3
  11. Dooga

Dooga Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of advice as to which grips will not play nicely with the XRL's wimpy juice-box -- what heated grips are the most XRL-friendly? Also, which is the most XRL-friendly way to tap into juice for a vest and maybe pants so that I can ride through DC's relatively mild Winter? Thanks in advance, kids. I am going to man up and keep riding!
  12. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe you didn't go flying over the bars. Must not have been an abrupt stop.
  13. XR BADGER

XR BADGER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Manracks case saver on the way! Was wondering if the best way to adhere the piece was jbweld or ht silicone?
  14. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I used JB Weld to attach my non Manracks case saver. It has held up great .

[​IMG]
  15. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    +1 on JB weld, I wouldn't trust silicone to hold up.
  16. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    +2 on the JB weld. I used a dremel to rough up the case surface and the back of the saver then taped off the area that I wanted the JB weld on as Steve advised me in the past :deal. It worked out great. I wouldn't trust the silicone to hold up either, just doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

Here's a pic of mine...

[​IMG]

-Barron
  17. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

Those are huge,heavy and bulky....all you need is a tiny 3to1 or 5to1 rope and pulley.....finding or making an anchor point is the hardest part....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About $30 bucks ........they are stainless steel and poly.....stick them in a saddle bag and forget about them till needed.......put them away wet no problem, those others you posted would be all rusted and corroded.
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Your bike sure looks different these days.
  19. absoluteclint

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input Bomber... When it comes time to make a purchase I'll look into one of those.
  20. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and it was a real eye opener putting it onto the 1996 frame, all the little things that needed to be done that i had wanted to do but had put off... I was planning on the 2006 to 1996 conversion only taking a couple days but I found things that needed to be replaced or fixed so I did it all including packing all the connectors with dielectric grease, cleaning off/out all the old grase and regreasing, cleaned all the varnish out of the carb, got all the gunk off of everything....

It ended up taking a lot longer than I planned but I fixed and rewired a LOT of stuff so I'm happy with it... kinda.... for now....

As soon as I get it legal in Japan I'll be able to reinstall my FMF exhaust, oil cooler, handguards, kickstarter, grip heaters......

-Barron