Aussie KLR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tagati, Jun 22, 2008.

1. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    def not KLR country ,long term anyway ,look for new club i say
  2. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    nah that was a once off.... put front knob on this morning and a rear going on tomorrow for the wet weekend... I'm aiming for as much dirt "adventuring" as I can on this bike..... else yeah I woulda bought a road bike :)
  3. willows

willows Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use these guys for original parts.
    www.mototech.com.au
  4. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's a great site Willows. First Aussie site where I have seen parts diagrams online with Aussie pricing. Still, it's amazing to see how much they charge for the side panel stickers - $80 a pop! :huh
  5. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    yes, thanks for that.
    I can see small differences from Kawasaki on some parts and bigger ones on others.

Good one :)
  6. hoyks

hoyks Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer:
    I too go to http://mototech.com.au/, I try and help the local dealer, but they never have anything in stock and have to order it in anyway. Mototech seem to have it stocked and free postage saves me having to go back and pick it up.
  7. willows

willows Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1.
    My local dealer can take up to 2 weeks to get a part in.
    Via post from Mototech is usually around 4 days.
  8. KLR 650 guy

KLR 650 guy UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer:
    Hey Willows .. I remeber them when i was workin Vic (Geelong) ages ago and thanks for remindin me about them .. Radiator at $600 better than $1400 quoted here in WA FFs:evil
  9. -Macca-

-Macca- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day,

I'm Macca, from the S.E. 'burbs of Melbourne. I recognise a few faces here from other places (both bike & 4x4).

I've got a 2011 KLR. Came with racks, panniers, SW Motech crashbars, power sockets, airhawk, bigger screen, replacement pegs, etc etc.. My old man's mate bought it so a few of them could head out across the desert on bikes, but he had a heart attack before he got that far (the mate, not my old man). :cry He only managed to clock up 1000k's on the bike.

[​IMG]

The plan is to ride it around enough to get some dirt skills back (it's been 10+ years since I've ridden dirt), then I'll head out into the desert with my old man to do the ride he and his mate were going to do.

[​IMG]

First plans are to take the lowering links back out (although I think I might leave the forks dropped in the triples to see what it's like), wire the gearshift & brake levers to the bash plate (which I'll probably replace with an aftermarket one.. :freaky I'm actually enjoying it that much I'm a bit worried I won't ride my other scoot ('06 Z750) much anymore.. :huh
  10. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    I know it's been done to death, but new thoughts are always welcome....

My 08 KLR has been going through way too much oil.

The counter sprocket seal, and maybe gear selector seal, was leaking considerably, so both of these have been replaced and there is no more leaks.

However, the bike is still using oil. On recent rides I've been told by fellow riders that they can smell the oil as they follow.

I've been given advice that the "rings on 08" are a known problem.
    It has also been suggested that the valve seals contribute to the problem.

I'd love to do a 685 or 705, but that seems expensive over here.

I'm still new to bikes, so would like to know if someone does the valve clearances and seals, would it be a good time to do the rings as well????

The bike only has 20,000km on it.

I bought it third hand at 17,0000 from an owner who did his own (apparently inadequate) servicing.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
  11. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! If you are going to replace valve seals (and recut the seats), the vast majority of work (and cost) is in tearing down the motor to get the head off - the additional effort to remove the barrel, replace the rings and hone the cylinder is bugger all.

You would be foolish not to do the rings once you had gotten the motor stripped down that far. Additionally, from what I know of the '08 oil usage problem, it is more likely a result of poor quality cylinder honing than valves.

Whilst you have the motor apart don't dismiss the big bore upgrade kits either. Other than the cost of the new piston there is minimal additional effort (and cost) on top of what you are proposing to do for rings and valve seats.
  12. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    I'm certainly interested in that.... but I hear the American ones are expensive to get over here... any Aus options?
  13. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Not that I am aware of. 688 kit is around $280 Oz, it's a pretty small item so I can't imagine shipping cost is more than $20 - $300 all up.
  14. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    thanks... 688 I didn't know about.

Heard about 685 ad 705... guessing it's a different brand then :)
  15. farqhuar

Oddometer:
  16. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    thanks, I've sent them a message re postage costs. You are right, not so big :)

So many people seem to rave about eagle mike stuff.... be a nice addition :)

So... in summary, here's what I think I'll do....

Order in 688
    get the cylinder machined

get valve clearances done and seals replaced

get the bike dynoed....

Have I missed anything???

Question is how much work is all this.... will it cost me plenty at a mechanics and / or can I do some of it myself? I have limited mechanical experience, and access to an experienced friend and his workshop....
  17. willows

willows Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    give these guys a try for the Wossner kit.
    Based in Brisbane, plus they can do the re-bore as well.
    Haven't used them but I have heard good reports about them.

http://www.serco.com.au
  18. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

+1 for the Wossner stuff. They do a 1mm or a 2mm O/S piston & ring kit for the KLR. Serco do good work as well.
  19. Croissant Warrior

Croissant Warrior Because it's there

Oddometer:
    Morning folks,

Sad day for me as I head outside my door to find no more motorcycle. Please keep an eye out for a beat-up hand-painted yellow plastics KLR (2000) with a large white plastic IMS fuel tank, and fake "Caterpillar" stickers on front and sides. It also has a black plastic top box (Action Packer) with a grey lid.

In case it goes for part, look for someone selling a stayintune exhaust, a custom Moab shock (red spring), tall windshield, sheepskin seat cover, etc.

Here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike was parked outside on the street, steering lock but that is it - I was told Melbourne a pretty safe city but I should know better there are thieves anywhere. It was steering locked and I see no sign of breakage on the ground. I suspect a quick lift on a ute.

Plate number 1I-5WH

If you see anything call 0417 951 605

Anyone knows the chances of recuperating my bike?
  20. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    shit I hate bike thieves.....:kboom

sorry to hear of your bad news :cry