Should I buy cheap offroad boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GravelRider, Mar 19, 2013.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about getting some entry-level offroad boots. I'm getting a dualsport that I'm planning to use primarily for trail/offroad riding. I'm not going to be tearing through trails at high speeds or tackling anything overly difficult... But I know from my past limited dirt experience that I fall a lot when I'm off the road! :lol3 I somehow lucked out and never sustained any serious injuries even though I'd only ride in sneakers or maybe some hiking boots if I was lucky. I've since grown up a bit and wised up as well.

Here's the thing, I already have a good pair of riding boots, the Sidi Adventure Goretexes, that I wear on my street bike. I love 'em, but wonder if they'll offer enough protection for offroad riding. I'd like something a bit taller and stiffer.

I really don't have a ton of money to spend on boots at the moment. Does anyone have any good suggestions for boots in the sub-$150 range? I don't need all the bells and whistles; safety is my primary concern here. Is there anything in this price range that offers much better protection than what I already have? Or should I just use my Sidis? Maybe wait a few months and buy something in a higher price range?

EDIT: I already bought boots. I went with the Gaerne GX-1s.
  2. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Don;t go cheap, look for inexpensive :deal

My Axo Prime (about to retire) saved my feet more times than I can count when I hit a rock that was so deep in mud that was invisible, when I slid a few dozen feet with the bike on my ankle, when.... You get the picture.

Eventually, I did rip a strap off and if they still made them, I would buy another pair. Unfortunately, they don't, so I'm looking for something else.
  3. KilLeR Kawasaki

KilLeR Kawasaki Marky A

Oddometer:
    I have the $100 MSR and have been happy with them. They are not at all waterproof. I had had my KLR resting on them and I walked away with out a "hitch". Much better than any street or light "adventure" boot can be. Same boot from Fox and the Thor Fazer(?) and other brands as well. Use them for a while then sell them when you can afford to upgrade. The important thing is:

1. Ride
    2. Be Protected

Mark
  4. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:
    One serious foot or lower leg injury can cost more than the houses
    many people are paying mortgages on, so think twice about going
    cheap on boots.

Used Sidis would be a MUCH better choice than new cheap
    boots. If you search Craigslist you can find deals, but you need to
    be patient and be ready to strike when the right deal comes along.

You get one set of legs and feet at birth. There are no warranty replacements.
    Cheap boots are a bad idea, period.

5. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The reason I still have a left foot is because of Tech 8 boots. So my input is get the very best you can.

Marc
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yup,make sure what size you wear in various boots and buy used,lots of good ones come up on ADV. Alpinestars/SIDI/Gaerne/

Alpinstar Tech 7's are a good dirt boot,older Tech 6's in good shape are great also. Ive found good used Tech 6's for 60.00,just check em over good.
  7. BigToad

BigToad The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer:
    It's very easy to screw up your ankles or feet so don't go cheap, like they say get used if you have to! Unfortunately I had my tech 8's cut off my feet after a major crash where I broke my femur last summer. That really sucked as my backups are tech 3's which I find don't have that great protection.

IMO the sidi adventures are not suitable at all for serious dual sporting, ok for occasional gravel roads but on the trail no way.

By the way I bought the tech 8's used but in mint condition for half the price of new ones. Bit of a fluke finding them on craigslist given that I wear size 14!
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Let's assume that I don't want to buy used boots. I don't mind buying lots of things used. Boots and helmets are exceptions though, for different reasons. Let's please not get sidetracked into discussing the pros and cons of buying boots used. Thanks.

What are the most inexpensive boots that offer good protection? I understand that the top-of-the-line boots are obviously best, but certainly there are some mid-priced or even budget boots that offer good protection, right? In my experience with protective equipment in general, once you get to a certain point, you're no longer paying for better protection; you're paying for features. I don't need the features; I only need the protection. I can only assume boots are the same way?
  9. yukonjon

yukonjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not an expert on everything here but if your looking for some budget boots that offer decent protection check out either the Alpinestar Tech 3 or the Fox Comp 5. Both are good entry level dirt boots and can get them in the aggressive tread if thats what your looking for. I've used both on separate occasions and found that the Fox are broken in easier but I feel they offer slightly less protection than the alpinestars and the buckles are not the best. I still use the Tech 3's as a backup pair and I know that they are incredibly popular for a cheaper boot.

Both pairs seem to be in stock at most dirtbike stores I go to. Go try them on and see what you think. Cycle gear is common and they have them in stock. Keep in mind that neither is waterproof.
  10. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    Never skimp on shoes or boots. Most boots last a long time. Buy quality, you can take your time looking for a good price or discount. Remember after your done playing basketball, skiing, rock climbing, and motorcycling you have to walk. If your lucky you have two feet, buy a good foot product for each endeavor. Dont go cheap on your feet.
  11. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Forma Terrain TX Boots http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Terrain-TX-Boots_p_793.html only a few dollars more than the boots mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but with a mechanical hinge in the ankle. Read the review at Atomic Moto. I think you get the most bang for your buck right now with Forma boots.
  12. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat as you, mainly ride on-road and have a great pair of Gaerne's for that. My offroad is seldom, and usually confined to a couple months in the summertime.

For that, I wear a pair of Thor Quadrant's. I bought them years ago, but they have held up well, buckles still work as they should and they have solid ankle support and protection. I don't think the Quadrant is still available, but I would venture that any Thor boot will do the job for just under $150.

I also bought a pair of AXO's for my son...Boxer model. Again, no longer made, but the replacement for that boot is also solid and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase and wear it myself, either.

So yes, you can get good protection from a boot that costs less than $180 (esp. if you find them on closeout or discounts).
  13. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not too sure any of the name brands are "cheap boots" even with their $100 specials. It is more about the comfort, quality of lining, removable washable booties, etc. The plastic reinforcement is on par to the most part. In addtion, think about it, motocross riders for years wore the old heavy leather boots with some reinforcement and survived pretty well.

What I'm saying is that even a $100 pair of MSR or whatever will provide excellent dual sport and recreational off road protection. They will keep you out of the emergency room for destroyed ankles and such. Check them out and compare with the three hundred dollar ones. You will see it is more about features. Fact is one thing the lower buck ones will give is probably easier ability to walk in them, the high buck ones are made for banging on motocrossers doing 80 ft triples and all.

Anything is better than a pair of work boots though.
  15. KilLeR Kawasaki

KilLeR Kawasaki Marky A

Oddometer:
    +1 :up
  16. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the MSR world tour boots with the ATV sole about 12 years ago. Granted I had a dirt riding hiatus for about 6 of those years, but they got the snot used out of them the first 3 years and really have been used hard the last two years. Protection wise, they seem great to me. Have saved my ankles and feet countless times from rocks, stumps, get offs, etc. Most memorable being hitting a brush covered tree stump at probably 25mph. My foot was smashed perfectly between the stump, foot peg, and frame and it was sore for a few days, but nothing broken. Hard hit. Knocked me and the bike off the trail. Doubt a high dollar boot would have done any better.

I've thought about replacing them, but they hold up fine and are very comfortable. The only feature top of the line boots offer that I want is waterproof and until these wear out, it's not worth it to me to upgrade. YMMV.

Doesn't look like they make these boots anymore but the vx1 looks similar if not identical.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I wear old HiPoints and you just can't kill them. I don't know how the toes would hold up in the case you speak of, but they were the ticket for a few decades. The ankle area is pretty tough, but the toe box is a bit lacking:

[​IMG]

Still going, and wearing like iron. I'll be sporting them again dual sporting this spring.

I'm thinking the new AlpineStar waterproof Scout dual sport boots would be the trick. By the way AlpineStar still makes the HiPoint branded boot, but now it is the AlpineStar Super Victory.

Here are the Scouts:

[​IMG]
  18. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you should. Just like higher end boots, or any product, some are good and some are not. But categorical dismissal of entry level off road boots is wrong.IMO, you shoudl not use your Sidis, they are an an Adventure boot, and many missunderstand this critical difference.

In some cases, entry level boots have more protection, because they are more rigid. They may give up some comfort though.

I cannot comment on what to buy. But you can find good stuff out there close to, or within your price range.

Hope that helps.

BP
  19. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the new-to-dual-sport-riding category and have been slowly acquiring gear for a couple of months now. A pair of offroad boots has been my latest research/purchase project. Last night I picked up a pair of Sidi Chargers for $100 from Craigslist... Retail $375. My budget was ~$100-150 new or used. I debated on buying a new low end boot in that price range or searching for something more top of the line used. I am very happy with my purchase... My Sidi's have alot of life left, are much lighter than low end boots, and are very comfortable (already broken in!).

I know the OP is not interested in used boots but just thought I'd share my successful experience going the used route. I would have preferred to buy new boots but for me the comfort comparison between the Sidi and cheaper models was not even close.

Good luck! :D
  20. psychoscot

psychoscot Heeland Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Peoples Republik of Boulder Don't judge me...
    Buying used boots is like buying a used condom. You don't where they've been, who's been in them and what diseases they harbor. Thor Ratchet boots are a very good selection. MSRP $169.99. Way less expensive than a jacked up ankle or leg...