Need a family car that can haul...suggestions

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bearded Hooligan, May 25, 2013.

1. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    We have been a 1 car family for several years now. There was a brief period where I had a nice F-150 4-door, otherwise wife has a Civic Hybrid and I ride my motorcycle. The family is growing and we will need something that can last us several years. I loved my F-150, especially the interior, and the couple of years I had it I put over 60K+ miles, trouble free. Our second child is due in late September and I feel like I have looked at every possible vehicle. We need something that seats 7, comfortably, preferably with quad bucket seats. Not really concerned with fuel mileage, needs to be able to tow a trailer with dirt bikes, take us camping, haul 2 dogs (occasionally) and not break the bank. I have been mostly looking at the large SUV's with around 100k miles as they are in the range of what I would like to spend. Dont want to spend more than $15k on something. Any recommendations or experiences with buying a used vehicle around the 100k mile mark? Reliability is a major concern, however, it will not be a commuter vehicle or even driven on a weekly basis. Wife works out of the house and I work within a short walk or bicycle ride from the house. Any vehicles to stay away from? Specific years to look for? Thanks for an advice :deal Looking to purchase between now and early September.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Minivan.... while not the most fun vehicle, I consider it a great tool or appliance. Easily carries 7 people, full sheets of plywood or 10ft long boards with the hatch closed. Can fit a double mattress and sleep 2 adults. Carry a 12ft inflatable boat, 10hp motor, a pile of camping gear and has 3500lb towing capacity.

Another nice feature with small kids, the sliding doors open wide and the seats are waist height, which makes getting car seats in and out very easy. And many of them have overhead dvd players.

Average about 10-11L per 100kms.
  3. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Not really the mini-van type or would care to own one. The only two vans that are remotely tolerable are the VW Eurovan, but hard to find with low miles and the Sprinter, which is out of budget. Plus, they would not handle the offroad camping trips. We're not the typical camp ground type folks. We get off the beaten path.
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ford Flex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a used 2003 Suburban recently. Cost me $9.5K and has 110K on it. Has a few minor things you'd expect from any car/truck/suv of that age, but mechanically it's as solid as they come. I've seen quite a few with 200K plus on them and mine seems to have plenty of life left in it.
  6. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    7 Passenger? You will only have 4 members of the family? $15K will buy you much more for your money if you can keep it to 5 passenger...

But if you must, I second the Minivan thing... who cares about being cool? Aren't we trying to get your family around safely?
  7. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Honda Pilot
  8. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    We will have 2 exchange students living with us and have family frequently visit to see the kid(s) and its a pain to take two cars everywhere when there is visitors. Otherwise I would agree with you.
  9. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Interesting...I had forgotten about these. Have any experience with one?
  10. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
  11. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Your post shows why the monster SUV's are sold "Well, we are ADVENTURE people!"

I did not like our Dodge Caravan much, but it was tolerably reliable, hauled ass on the freeway, got adequate mileage, carried 7 when necessary and you could change drivers at 80 mph on the interstate.
  12. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drive a 100 miles a day and with an F150 it was well stupid. So I sold the truck first time in my life I was truckless. Waited a year saved some cash wile drive the car. Picked up a 2002 f150 with 100k on it for $6k. It sits in the driveway now until I need it.
  13. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    The Lotto clan is looking at the Dodge Durango. 3 row seating and engine options for towing 7k+ pounds. Even the V6 can tow 3 tons. There are plenty of used ones available from rental fleets right now.
  14. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander. Both offer seating you require, bullet-proof dependability, and scoot (Highlander with V-6).

You could also look at a Toyota Sequoia, or a V-8 4Runner, but the 4Runner probably doesn't have seating for more than 5.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Rav 4 has 7 passenger if you want to keep a smaller footprint. The awd will allow for some light backroad camping, and the v6 will have enough power to get you there.
  16. River

River Gee

Oddometer:
    We had a 2003 Eddie Bower Explorer with third row seating, v8, tow package..,put 300,000 trouble free kms on it. Best vehicle for travelling around we have had. Wife sold it to get a VW Golf. I sold it to my friend last year and we use it to go skiing to the mountains still. It was the last of three explorers I've owned '92, '97 and '03.
  17. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    :poser you knock the minivan due to capability, yet are going to consider the flex?

I'll second(third, fourth, whatever) the minivan is your best choice, but you seem to be the typical suburban, Tahoe, Yukon buyer.
  18. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Down South there are a lot more 2wd Suburbans. They are relatively better on gas than the 4wd models we get up here.

What until the summer gas price jump and those things will take another dive. All it takes is a few more $120 fill ups...
  19. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I'm waiting for. We sold our minivan in January and replaced it with a ford focus for the wife's daily driver with the intention of buying a Yukon, Suburban, Tahoe, or such to be our lake trip vehicle. Been waiting for summer gas prices to influence the asking prices on them. Hasn't happened yet......
  20. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    That's kinda funny that you won't care about gas mileage yet now your wife drives a hybrid!