The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Too_Tall

Too_Tall The Belgian

Oddometer:
    Hey that's me! :D

The NelsonRigg stuff is awesome. Plan on using them for a long time.

Took the S10 out for 400km's in the Belgian Ardennes forest today. Lots of fun, bit too much traffic to my liking (holidays) but for some reason I never really got stuck behind traffic for very long...DAMN this thing is fast! :clap
  2. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
  3. Projected

Projected Single Track Attack

Oddometer:
    Does anyone in the US want a Waspworks grip heater switch relocator? I bought one before I had a bike and I just picked up my new 990 on Tuesday.

If interested please PM me.

Thanks.
  4. Big Mistake onWheels

Big Mistake onWheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the soft bag info,all. Those NelsonRig bags look like they'd do fine. Need big bags for 2 up camping. I put a duffle over the rear rack too. Tank bag too. Can carry a lotta stuff. I still have the Jesse bags off my ol'GS but won't use'm. I was on my way to the BMW store(150 miles away) to buy another GS(hate to miss a whole riding season) the morning my dealer called about the new August delivery date for the S10s.I can live with that(it's snowing now where I live--BIG snow year here). My favorite riding places are still 6-8 feet under snow.Even the desert's wet ! Good year to take an August delivery. Am going to love this bike(esp after a GS). Been lusting after a Yamaha 'GS" for years. Thanks again. Big help.
  5. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Nice. The 990 is the very best of the large dualsports for those who ride off pavement.
  7. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:

I want it. Send me message with price.
  8. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. DeadRider

DeadRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys..

I've been lurking here for some time, falling in love with the S10 with every comment you said about the bike...well today I took my son and left a downpayment for a 3600 km (2250 miles) 2011 S10, that looks brand new

It comes with all the first edition equipment (cases, skid plate, light protection), in a beatiful blue color...next wendsday I will be able to ride it and share with you my impressions (coming from a FZ6, I think I will have a lot say...jajaj)

Bye

Jean Claude
    (from Chile)
  11. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome along Jean Claude,

Hope you enjoy your ride and looking forward to the RR's from that beautiful country :deal

Cheers
    Graham
  12. KSH

KSH LurKer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least yoou were able to get the Fastest Color :evil

:beer

Enjoy

:ricky
  13. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    For a one way ride, Iron Butt Records

http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm

of documented rides show:

Trans Americas (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina)

Name Home Town Date Motorcycle
    Dick Fish Cardston, AB CANADA 09/21/06 BMW R1150GS

Mileage/Days 14,423 21-D 2-H 8-M

* Guinness World Record - however they stopped keeping records on this ride in 2003

Kevin Sanders Julia Sanders (passenger) Cambridge, ENGLAND 08/18/03 BMW R1150GS 34-D 23-H 21-M

and for Prudhoe and back:

Trans Americas Challenge (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina - Round Trip)

Name Home Town Date Motorcycle
    Tom Sayer Pequot Lakes, MN 01/06 Suzuki V-Strom

Mileage/Days 30,912/122

We all wish Nick the best, this is going to be exciting to watch!

14. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just read that Nick is doing OK heading south from Prudhoe Bay, but during (what looks like being) a 950-mile day, his fork seals blew. Not a disaster, and this is after a quick 11,000 miles from Ushuaia to get to Prudhoe to start the record attempt. He's got a quick stop coming up to get them replaced.

The point is... this is the THIRD occurrence of leaky seals that I've heard of on the S10. That by no means constitutes a trend, but I wonder if there's a way to protect them? They look pretty exposed. Do upside-down forks collect more crap on the sliders than conventional forks? I seems like this might contribute to leaky seals. I'm at 80k miles on my Vee and it's never needed fork seals.

There might be an opportunity for the aftermarket to come up with something - not sure what, traditional rubber gaiters wouldn't work but shouldn't be rocket science to come up with some kind of plastic shield. It could bolt on via the 2 front mudguard mount bolts.

I'll be throwing a couple of fork seals in the parts kit I'm putting together for the big trip.

Trevor
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you read? :deal
  16. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Nick has had a few problems - the fork seals being one of the least.

Dunno why this was not put on his blog but....reported in the UK MCN.

A few of the bikes on the trip were breaking down "due to riders failing to maintain" and the support vehicle was delayed as result. It was ambushed by bandits at gunpoint. The bikes on the back and the 4x4 stolen. The driver was cast adrift when the bandits realised he was English and not American.

I spoke to nick earlier this year and he said that Yamaha gave him this bike foir the trip. He had not been on one at the time. It will be interesting to see his view on return.
  17. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112&page=2

"News!
    <hr style="color:#575757; background-color:#575757" size="1"> Just had Nick on the phone from a call box in Coldfoot.

Official start time for record ride was 05.15 local time. That's 14.15 BST.
    And......fork seals just gone on bike. However it has just done 11,000 miles test ride from Ushuaia with some really tough piste, Ruta 40 and crossing the Andes 4 times on piste and across Bolivia off road......and more!:eek1
    Tim at Wrights Motorcycle parts in Salt Lake City will put it 'right' I'm sure. Meantime Nick will just keep squirting in oil and keep on riding. Looking like a 950 mile day today.....more news later.:1drink"
  18. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!! 2250 miles is not even fully broken in. Enjoy it. You got the best color, too!

Blue one on order. August is just around the corner!
  19. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is some serious abuse to any bike. So we will wait and get his perspective. Ya gotta admire taking on that kind of ride. I've got some buds doing a huge ride on KLRs and have had some mechanical issues too and not as much off road as Nick.

JDP
  20. DeadRider

DeadRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys...these are gonna be the longest 3 days of my life...then many years of pleasure on the road....

By the end of the year i am planning my 2nd trip with friends to Bariloche, Argentina (if the volcano stops erupting)...and 2013 will be the year of my trip to Ushuaia...

If you ever come around here, do not hesitate to ask me for references on what to see or trips to make with a bike...we have all kind of climates on this long and strech country and everything is pretty close (think of 2 to 3 hours between the sea and the mountains), excelent sea food, good regulations and public services so no problem with corruption....

By the end of the week i will post photos of my beautiful Na'Vi (like Avatar guys)

cheers

JC