Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed via Basecamp.

I select Recreation profile, then go into maps and set the Topo maps to enabled and disable NT 2013.20

I then go into Automotive profile, then intp maps and set Topo to disabled, and NT 2013.20 to enabled.

I then switch back to Recreation profile and the maps show up as they were for Automotive profile (i.e. the way the maps show are how they were last set - regardless of what profile I have selected).
  2. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does zooming in or out on the map one click change anything, even after waiting a few seconds?
  3. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing changes.

Is there a 'master reset' on the Montana (I could not find a reference to one on the big Garmin Montana wiki)?
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two more questions:

1. Do you have any other maps installed on the GPSr or uSD card? (I used to have an issue with some maps preventing others from enabling/disabling properly)

2. To further clarify, you are seeing the CN NA map in both profiles, regardless of settings?

I would not Master Reset just yet....

Master Reset information is available from multiple locations within the Montana wiki:

Tenth question in the FAQ and Function \ Diagnostic are a couple of examples.
  5. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    You'll love it Jeff! Best mc unit out there, especially if you're coming from an Oregon like I did.

I sent you a PM.
  6. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought the Montana 650
    Bought 2 uSD cards
    Bought the Topo and CN2013 on DVD with lifetime updates.

Havent installed anything just yet.

I thought I had it figured out:
    1) Put the uSD Card in the Montana
    2) Connect Montana to laptop
    3) Create Garmin directory in uSD Card
    4) Insert DVD to laptop.
    5) Install the maps to the uSD card.
    6) Repeat for second uSD card.

Now i read this:
    "I assume you are loading the maps to the Montana from Basecamp."

WTF!?!?!

Is there one best way to load the maps and have them available on multiple uSD cards? Or will any of these methods work?
    I thought it was necessary to have a GPS device connected to the computer when you install the maps as they are locked to a single GPS device.

Am I just completely dense, or is anyone else out there also confused?
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp does not load maps but it has a connection to MapInstall so MI can be called from BC. Saying BC installed the maps is kinda erroneous.

You could just load MapInstall by itself to load your maps. You can find out how to use MapInstall, and get the latest version by checking here.
  8. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

Everything you ever wanted to know about loading maps to your Garmin GPSr, but were afraid to ask, can be found here.
  9. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    After being unable to twist the screw out, i resorted to doing it properly. :D
    Start off by unscrewing 6 tiny screw and taking off the back panel.
    Then take out the button sliding part (hold the tiny spring!!!) and the top (hold the tiny spring!!!):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now with access to the inside, we see the culprit. Pry it off.

[​IMG]

Luckily, Garmin is sane (unlike RAM with their 11mm nut for a large-pitch threaded U bar...) and uses a standart pitch M3 thread. So to a bolt shop I go.
    You know the standart screw has threads only at the very end and the thinner stalk moves freely in the hole in the top plastic part. I needed to duplicate that, except that I chose to leave a few more threads at the end.
    And if you don't have a lathe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The standart bolt stops not when the threads go all the way into the well, but when the bolthead touches against the plastic - so it's ok the leave more thread at the end as long as there's something on our new bolt to push against the plastic top part (to mimic the standart bolthead).
    In my case, a long "handle":

[​IMG]

Put the new bolt in with,remembering it's cone shaped spring, then slip on the retaining clip from the inside (you can leave it out if you think there will be a need to remove the lock screw without taking the mount apart again).
    Then put the 2 plastic parts together. Do I need to mention the tiny springs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They fly far once being bounced off your head and can only be found by lucky chance inside some camera cases. :evil
    And don't think breaking a lighter will save you!:deal

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]
  10. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    If you go through the trouble, might as well eliminate the need to use any tool to operate the mount.
    By using a MUCH longer bolt and some "handle".
    Or a machined version - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223922.
  11. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my Montana 600 and CNNA 2013 DVD on Monday. I've had nothing but a PITA getting it installed, setup.

I have (had) Mapsource, CNNA v8 on my PC for my 2720 & 60CSx. Garmin said it would be fine for the two setups to play together.

Monday night
    Install Basecamp - downloaded file from Garmin to my PC and ran exe from there. Installed fine.
    Insert DVD to PC but autorun brings up Bootstrapper.exe - not Setup.exe like the instructions say.
    - I browse the DVD and see no Setup.exe anywhere.
    - I run the Bootstrapper.exe and it appears to begin the install, talks to the Garmin server, etc and fails with error "The program failed to install the requested maps to your computer". I tried multiple times with same results.
    - I found a CityNavigator2013update.msi file (dont hold me to that filename) on the DVD and ran it - it launched and loaded my maps to my PC. Good!!!
    - I connect the Montana, click "Install maps to Montana 600" but nothing happens. Try this multiple times, same results. (MapInstall wouldn't launch)

Tuesday evening
    I call Garmin support and dude runs over same things I have done, then hands me over to the Software Team.
    Girl remotes to my PC and tries everything I did with same results.
    - We try to install MapInstall (downloaded from Garmins site) and it starts to install but hangs at the window with the progress bar. Nothing.
    - We uninstall / reinstall everything, BaseCamp, MapInstall, maps, and still get same results. She tries older versions of MapInstall, nothing works. She finally gave up and asked me to uninstall EVERYTHING Garmin on my PC, clean the registry of ALL Garmin files and start over.

Her list was Install BaseCamp, then MapInstall, then CNNA 2013.
    She told me to be sure and use the BaseCamp.exe and MapInstall.exe files that I had downloaded from Garmin site to install.

I did that and found that a MapInstall registry key was corrupt and had no permissions on it at all. I took ownership of the permissions and was able to delete the key as instructed.

So, now with a clean slate (even the MapSource and CNNA v8 gone) I installed BaseCamp with no issues and confirmed it would launch..
    - Install MapInstall - and it hangs, just like it had before.
    - I uninstalled BaseCamp.
    - I ran the MapInstall exe and it now installed and I confirmed it would launch.
    - I ran the BaseCamp install and it error'ed out with "MSI error: File Not Found".

Hmmm :scratch So with either BaseCamp or MapInstall laid down first, the other won't install???????

I tested multiple times, installing either one first and confirmed this.

THEN, I realize, wait a minute....BaseCamp install has MapInstall within it....why is she telling me to install it again??? I go to BaseCamp and try it and sure enough MapInstall launches from within BaseCamp OR by launching it alone via the Start->Programs selection.

So, with BaseCamp and MapInstall now both installed and working, I go to the DVD to install the maps.
    Still have to install them running the CityNavigator2013update.msi file deep in the directory structure verses the Setup.exe they tell you to - WHICH ISN'T THERE on the DVD.

I get the maps loaded and launch BaseCamp and confirm I can see them in BaseCamp.
    However, when I connect the Montana and right click on Internal Storage I don't even have the option to "Install Maps to Montana". It's not even there.???
    Launch MapInstall on its own from the Start->Programs menu and it sees the Montana and I load the maps to internal storage.

So, I have my maps installed on the Montana, even used it on the way to work this morning, but I am still not confident that the BaseCamp / MapInstall packages are working correctly together. I am going to test some more when I get home. As stated in an earlier post, BaseCamp should call MapInstall and load maps to the GPS. For some reason, it still doesn't seem to be wanting to do this.

This is with the latest versions of both BC and MI and running on Win7 Enterprise, 64-bit.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

12. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I know you don't want to hear this, but:

Nope. Mine works fine. Both WinXP and Win7, no issues at all.
  13. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone with City Nav NA NT2013 DVD - does your DVD have Setup.exe on it?

Just wondering if I got a jacked up copy of the DVD or something.

14. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your XP and Win7 are both 32-bit, I am guessing?
  15. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    My XP was 32-bit. Changed to a new computer two weeks ago, running Win7 64-bit.

However, I'm fairly sure my Basecamp and all other Garmin products are still 32-bit applications.
  16. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does your Win7 machine equipped to allow 32-bit processing?

I do not have a dedicated 64-bit machine to test with at this time... mine are all 32-bit Win XP and Win7, and all function as designed.
  17. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

Garmin BC & MI are 32bit.................if using 64bit Win OS they will be loaded in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Mine is Win7 64bit and everything functions properly.

Might be related to the Windows Enterprise version........................I am not familiar with that OS, but maybe there is a limitation there??
  18. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Yes, as pointed out above, 32-bit programs are in the \%system%\Program Files (x86) folder.
  19. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all 64-bit processors support 32-bit processing, and those machines will not have an x86 directory for 32-bit applications.
  20. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my mistake, I am running Win7 Professional 64-bit.