My New Chinese Big Ruckus clone thread...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by deezildennis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Well I may be in the minority here but I was not overly impressed with my Big Ruckus. Sure it was very nice in comparison to 50cc scooters which let's face it are mostly chinese crap.

I liked the larger frame and overall feel but as 250cc engines go it felt too "scooterish" for my taste and did not accelerate all that quick. Very well built, over priced, but in this day and time what brand name bike isn't, the back rest tilt was useless and the adjustable seat had too little adjustment. Overall weight seemed heavy to me.

Scooter suspension (BR included) seems to only be a concept and not a real functioning feature but then I have not ridden a lot of them. For what you have to pay for a BR a real motorcycle is a far better value.

IF the Chinese Big Ruckus clone is half the scooter that the Big Ruckus is then it is hard to deny their cost is well worth it. Since the BR clones are fairly scares I just wonder how hard it will be to get dedicated parts when you need them?

I'll be anxious to watch your progress reports on this 150
  2. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    The Little Ruckus is too dinky for me for the commute so it was out of the question.

I am sure the Dog, your weight and the Dinky Tires on the lil ruck add up to the 60mph top speed. The OD of the tires on the Klone are 19.125" By tape. Cute Dawg though!

The Electronics of the bike are going to be easily obtained. For shit's and giggles I bought a new speedo and Hall effect sensor this morning just to have... $60

The plastic is going to be hard to find. I Know Honda BR guys have used the Clone plastics before so Maybe if I need it I can use the plastic off of the honda if I need to. The the Damn thing looks badass without any plastic!!

The Harness looks to be used on other scoots so no big deal there.

Not really worried about the plastics even though they are specific to the bike..... If they break....They break.

Be back in a bit... It's raining and I want to see how it does in it.
  3. ColinDoyle

ColinDoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is true; however, there's an 11-pole stator available for the GY6. You'll have to upgrade your voltage regulator, as well, and change some wiring in the harness to make it work. I'm running the 11-pole stator with dual 55/60W H4 bulbs in the stock Ruckus headlight housings. The charging system works like a champ. If only I could say the same for the rest of the Chinese piece of shit engine... total garbage. I have to repair it every time I want to ride.

Sure, but then you'd be stuck repairing three of them.

You could buy several used Pontiac minivans for the price of an Aston Martin DB9, too.
  4. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find this thread very intresting... Lots of differing opinions,, some, quit informing.. I have a 2006 helix, a 1980 P200e (kick start) and a Honda Aero 50cc. each are very different but all are fun... Good luck with your new BR Clone.
    I had a 150cc China scooter (no idea as to the name), It said Apollo on the decal and it did very well, never had a problem. A guy in the WalMart parking lot wanted it so I sold it on the spot, had to call for a ride home....:1drink
  5. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I seem to be having pretty good luck with it so far.
    I put another 56 miles on it tonight.

Don't know what it is getting for gas mileage since the gas gauge isn't moving a bunch.

So thumbs up so far from me...
  6. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    How's that critter handle at speed? With the longer wheelbase it looks like it might be pretty stable.

I've been kicking the idea of one of these myself. I missed out on a Ruckus with a blown motor (run without oil) that would have been perfect for a conversion.
  7. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    It's a lot more stable with the gy6 length. But a better front end and disc brakes Would make it perfect. I ride mine different to compensate for it's short comings. I use mostly back brake to stop and use the fronts to finish if the backs don't do it. This keeps the suspension settled and load off the front end. My fastest speed was 61 mph on gps. But it takes a lot get it there. But it hums along nicely in the 40s. And that makes me happy.
  8. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    our club did a ride earlier this year and couple guys showed up with rucki very close to what you have.

125/150 engines, stretched frames. they were both using back wheels from golf carts, if memory serves. anyway the tires were so wide that they really didn't need center stands but they were using them. oh, and the tires were set up in such a way they could be removed with just a tire iron.
  9. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    There is a 250 cc Helix clone available nowadays, I'm not sure it's water cooled, but haven't people used old Helixes as an ADV bike when stripped of their plastic bits and modded up the yang?
  10. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I watch Craigslist all the time looking for a suitable candidate for something as you describle. I saw a Helix that had been totalled when the owner's wife backed into it and then it fell over. Although the plastic was cracked and tweaked all over it was perfectly rideable--all the lights still worked, too--but by the time they added up the body pieces and mounts plus the labor to put it back together it was a write-off. That was right after they were released and I didn't have the imagination to see the potential. Sad.
  11. Bearcat

Bearcat burg1

Oddometer:
    Keep us informed on the Rowdy. I'm thinking of ditching my 50cc Roketa (which I have never had a problem with 2500 miles) and going to the Rowdy for short trips to the store etc.
  12. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I plan on updating the thread as I go for sure.
    The good and the bad.....I have no problem sharing either.
  13. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Well I did something stupid and I have a skinned up knee and shin from it.

I backed the bike out of the garage and the throttle cable got caught on my push mowers throttle lever. I didn't think anything of it and started the bike. The cable had been pulled out of the adjustment connection at the handle and I didnt notice it.

The bike was on the side stand and tore ass off dragging me along side of it. The bike hit my rider mower tire and stopped. No damage to the bike or the rider mower but I have a nice skinned up leg from it.

Stupid mistake.....I should have inspected the cable before I started it and should have been on the bike not off of it while starting it..

Dumb dumb dumb...could have been a lot worse if I didn't have Jeans on.
  14. FoldArt

FoldArt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I guess having plastic all over the bike has some purpose after all!

Glad you are alright - sounds like it could have been ugly (but probably a good youtube vid).

BTW, I bought two ZNEN made bikes (under their own name, from a local brick and mortar dealer) in 2009. Had very few issues with them, which the dealer resolved. Mine disappointed me with a low top speed, but the carb was set up really, really lean. Low 50's was all it did on flat ground. But I put 3000 miles on it with minimal maintenance, and it never left me stranded (and never failed to start). I think you made a great choice. Have fun with it.

PS - If it gets hard to start in cool weather, upjet the pilot a little.
  15. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks! At least nothing got damaged though, could have been much worse.

Not really that stupid of you, I mean I probably wouldn't have thought much of it either. But glad your okay!
  16. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The leg is healing up alright.

Nothing real big going on with the bike. I rode it through the nasty heat we had last week it was just fine. I bought a ngk irid plug for it and have yet to put it in it.

On another note..... When I went to look at a rider lawn mower last week for a Neighbor and the buy had a destroyed Helix with a running engine in the back yard ...........:deal

Unfortunetly for my Neighbor there was only room in the bed of the truck for the back half of the helix.....:lol3

Maybe in a year or so I will shoe horn the cn250 motor into this China clone for shits and giggles
  17. Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer:
    Just make sure that it's the right CN250, otherwise you'll have clearance issues.

Also watch the heat on the iridium plugs, I used to run them in an older V-6 truck I had, ended up burning a hole in the top of #5 piston on that engine in real short order, ended up scrapping the truck because of the cost to fix it,plus the unknown piston particles in the engine (cheap aluminum pistons)
  18. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I have a Sawzall.....and I aint afraid to use it! :)

Asfar as the plug goes, the gy-6 ruk guys seem to have pretty good luck with it so I hope to have the same.

Looking to get rid of the stuck muffler here shortly so I will fatten up the carbby around the same time.
  19. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    That's incredible top speed on a BR. I owned a BR and a Reflex and neither could scare that kind of top speed. This is down wind, down hill with the throttle having been pinned for 3 minutes. This is indicated. Actual is probably upper 60's.

The Chinese copy has two rear shocks. The BR has one.

[​IMG]
  20. Keys

Keys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not too big a deal...I swapped a 250 Elite engine into an '86 Helix I had (you gotta do that when you forget to replace the dipstick when you change the oil). Took about an hour to get it out and an hour and a half to get the new one in...--Keys