"Just Right", Comparing Three Scooters

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by driller, Aug 21, 2013.

1. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Over the last twelve or so years I have been trading and trying many different motorcycles; lately scooters. MBD (multiple bike disorder) is not that painful an affliction. :happay
    I am now in the totally "shiftless" world of scooters and having a ball. Recent changes in the garage allows a comparison of three different scooters.

Yamaha Majesty 400

[​IMG]

Vespa GT200

[​IMG]

Honda PCX

[​IMG]

Three very different scooters that have fully auto transmissions, do what they were designed for quite well (IMO) and are great fun to ride.

Some stats from Motor Scooter Guide:
    Majesty: Weight 465 lbs.
    Wheelbase 61.6 in.
    Displacement 400cc
    HP 33.5
    Top speed 95-100mph(gps)
    14/13 inch wheels

Vespa: Weight 320 lbs.
    Wheelbase 54.9 in.
    Displacement 200 cc
    HP 20
    Top speed 76 mph (gps)
    12/12 inch wheels

PCX Weight 280 lbs.
    Wheelbase 57.4 in.
    Displacement 125cc
    HP 11.1
    Top speed 62mph (gps)
    14/14 wheels
    What follows comes from my experience with these scooters. Plenty of threads about each one have been written and probably beat to death, but here goes.....

Size wise, the Majesty qualifies as a MAXI Scooter. Larger, heavier and more powerful, it is very capable of highway cruising and long distance touring. I put over 14,000 carefree miles on it. Several extended trips left no doubt about its merits as a long haul bike. The ride was roomy and comfortable. It felt well planted on the highway yet fairly nimble around town. Cavernous storage and seat configuration make it easy to load your gear and go! An added plus in my book is being able to fill the gas tank without lifting the seat or removing gear.
    The only mod done on the Majesty was changing rollers for lighter DR Sliders. This was a worthwhile upgrade. Had I kept the bike, an upgrade of rear shocks and perhaps adding a Laminar Lip to the windscreen would have been done.
    Performance was more than adequate for my needs. Roll on from 45 to 70 was strong and more than enough to overtake or move past highway traffic.
    The service intervals for the Majesty are amazingly far apart. Belt change q12,000 mi, valve check q22,500mi. Normal oil schedule. Easy enough to do in your own garage.
    Overall, the Majesty is one of the nicest bikes I have had the pleasure of riding. Very high build quality.
    Purchased used, the cost of owning it for four years was mostly limited to consumables like tires, belt and oil. It held its value well and the depreciation after four years of ownership was minimal.
    Having owned this scoot for this long says a lot for it since I am prone to trading a lot. The main reason for selling it and looking for something else was it was getting harder to maneuver in the garage for these old bones and the broad rear seat was not that comfortable for my wife to ride on. (Until last year that was never an issue since she did not want to ride).

Next, Vespa GT200......:deal
  2. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    VESPA GT200

A large frame Vespa looked like an attractive alternative to the Majesty. Lighter, a bit more nimble with enough power to meet my riding needs. After a lot of research, the GT200 had a lot of what I was looking for and the search was on.
    This one was lightly used and well cared for.
    The fuel injection of the Yamaha was perfect. Most of my previous bikes were carbureted so I was not really leery of the GT being so despite some web discussion about it. Some Seafoam and cleaning of lines made short work of any carb issues with the GT.
    Going to 12 inch wheels had me a bit nervous at first. Thoughts the bike might be a bit on the "twitchy" side were erased after putting a few miles on the scoot. The Vespa feels well planted and solid. Almost as much as the Majesty. "Wobble?" Yes, there is a slight wobble around 25mph when slowing down. Subtle, but there. Much discussion about why and the cures about this characteristic of the Vespa has been around and around. No big deal.
    Power...The GT has plenty of zip. It will get up to 60-65 pretty quickly with a fairly smooth acceleration curve. The last 10-15 mph to top speed comes a bit slower but the engine seems eager. Cruising along between 60-65 is effortless. The bike will pull over 70 all day, but where I ride that speed is seldom needed. Roll on from 45-60 is good, plenty for overtaking slower vehicles on back and secondary roads. Not like the Majesty which will keep on to 80-85 before fading.
    I like the ergos of the Vespa. The seat and seating position is very good for me. More upright and I sit "taller". Adequate room to move my feet about.The Majesty was pretty plush with more of a stretch out posture. The backrest was a plus for long rides. Rides on the GT have been limited to no more than 140miles, so I will wait to judge the long range comfort after a ride to Kentucky in a couple of weeks.
    Fit and finish...well, its Vespa grade. Right up there with Yamaha quality.
    So far, I am very happy with the Vespa. It has the potential to fill my riding needs quite nicely. I like the style, size and Italian "character". No regrets about moving on from the Majesty so far.
  4. Kattzoo

Kattzoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more about the Majesty. May be my favorite bike of many over the years. Looking forward to seeing what you thought of the PCX. Just sold my 2013 with a little sadness. I thought it was a great scooter, especially around town.
  5. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Honda PCX

FUN,FUN,FUN....:jive
    Hey, who am I kidding. They are all fun. This one does put the biggest grin on my face.:D

I bought this 2011 PCX from a fellow inmate last March. I was wanting to try a smaller scoot than the Majesty that would be good for hopping on and bopping around to keep the miles from adding on to the Yamaha.
    The 125 is an overachiever in my book. Honda got it right (and even better with the 150) with the match of power and transmission. It is quick off the line for a 125, effortlessly purrs along between 35-50 mph and pulls the hills around here fairly well. Fuel injection is spot on. Easy throttle control all the way. Despite a bit more weight than some of the smaller scooters, acceleration up to 45 is quite pleasing. From there to 60 takes a little time. Certainly not the "oomph" like the Majesty or Vespa. The larger wheels and relatively long wheelbase provide a supple ride while being quite "flickable". :ricky I have taken some longer trips on this little scoot and had a lot of fun. You just have to be in the right state of mind and not be in a hurry to make big miles. Great way to "smell the roses" (or cow pies) while traveling along at a more relaxed pace. Dial it in just above 50 and hum along.
    I fit the Honda well. The seat is pretty comfortable and the ergos work well for my body. The Vespa and the Majesty seating are more comfortable on longer rides.
    Fit and finish on the PCX are what you expect from a Honda. No disappointment there. Lifting seat to fill gas tank not required +++:super
    All three bikes in this comparison stop well. The Majesty and Vespa have disc brakes front and rear. The Honda has a drum on the rear that is linked to the front disc. I prefer not having them linked that way as lightly dragging the rear into some corners is something I find helpful at times..
    The PCX wins the MPG contest by a long shot. It has given between 90-95 mpg with most of my riding being on the hard side. :pierce The Majesty yielded between 55-60mpg depending on where and how fast the pace was. The Vespa appears to be averaging around 70 mpg so far.
    As a runabout, the PCX delivers and delivers well. Longer rides can be an "adventure" but isn't that what we like?

Conclusions? Stay tuned.......:norton
  6. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice comparison of these scoots. I like your taste btw. The more I read about the PCX the more I think it'd be an excellent addition to my fleet, given the kinda riding I do. I think it's important to ride something based on the context of your life, i.e. your size, your physical abilities or limits, where you ride, or plan to ride, your budget, who else will ride your machine or with you, the aesthetic factors, maintenance schedule, reliability, serviceability, resale, fuel economy. Good job on covering a lot of this in your real world reviews. You probably got a lot of us lusting after one or more of these bikes. :clap
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Nice comparison... and three scoots that I find appealing. I appreciate your insight and observations!

:clap

12 days left on our contracts here (yes, I am counting), then a loooooooong trek back home... and the scoots! :evil

Not to take anything away from this thread, but you good folks here have really contributed to me maintaining that last bit of sanity that I am rumored to have. Comparisons like this thread, photo essays of scoot trips, scooter girls, and even the rants have been something I look forward to each day.

My wife asked me what I miss about home, and I said (in this order): "The scooters, the jacuzzi tub, and the Select Comfort mattress." I am lobbying to take off again once we check out the house, this time with the RV. We can haul the scoots, it has a Select Comfort, too... but no way to take the hot tub. :evil In the words of the philosopher Meatloaf: "Two outta three ain't bad."

:rofl

Best wishes,
    Captain Jim
  8. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Great comparison, and focused on the positives (something I'm not known for doing).

All sound like great scooters. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

And CapnJim- have a safe trip home. Those PCXs are just waiting to be your magic carpets!
  9. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Well, this has been a way to kill a rainy morning when It would be way more fun to be riding.

Thanks for the comment. I will try to hit the high spots.
    Three different bikes. Each one delivers the essential ingredient...many smiles per mile. each in its own unique way.:D
    I had a great run with the Majesty and would recommend it to someone looking for a very road worthy and reliable scoot. Prices for gently used ones allow for a high value for the cost. The long maintenance intervals are a real plus. It almost filled my "do all" list and I came very close to keeping it. I will miss it I'm sure, but the itch to try something different and a couple of other considerations kicked in.
    Adios old friend....

[​IMG]

So, the $$ for the Majesty slid right over to the Vespa. I am excited to have this bike. With only 2300 miles on it, there will be plenty of room for a lot of riding adventures far and near. It promises to be a good light touring scooter as well as a grocery getter when called on. The only con about the bike for me is having to lift the seat to fill the fuel tank. I will learn to deal with that. The FI of the others had me spoiled for more precise throttle control, but once the carb has been fine tuned, that will be no issue. Again, being lightly and gently used, it is easy to have a "like new" bike for less than half the price of new. Cost of ownership will be mostly limited to consumables. Maintenance schedules for the GT appear to be average and only time will tell how much effort is needed to perform the tasks. I like the style of the Majesty and the PCX, but there is something about the design of the Vespa that just "rings my bell".:thumb
    Stay tuned for a RR here and there.:deal

[​IMG]

The PCX has probably been highest on the MPG and "smiles/miles" meter. Again, lightly used keeps the cost basis low; especially with the 150's getting most of the attention. They may become more available when the Forza comes out. It may get neglected a bit while I get better acquainted with the Vespa. As known to some, the maintenance schedule seems a bit short and access to the engine is challenging. I have plenty of time and a challenge here and there keeps the cobwebs out of my skull.
    I would highly recommend this scooter to anyone wanting a dead reliable, efficient and well thought out ride for town and the occasional jaunt through the countryside. Even for an adventure on "the Dragon"!

[​IMG]

If you can find a 150 I think the premium would be worth the step up. However, unless the old MBD raises its head, the 125 should be a keeper for long time. Small displacement MC's have given me a disproportionate level of riding pleasure over the years. Hey, you don't want to eat steak (Vespa) all the time.:lol3

Like Goldilocks, I may be looking for a scooter that is "JUST RIGHT".
    Right now it looks like the Vespa GT200 fits that niche. Size, power, fit, style, handling, etc. :Norton

Actually, there is a bit of DejaVu in this exercise. Some years ago, I did a comparison of a KLR650, KLR250 and DR650 I had. The DR fell in between the two Kawis. Closer to the 650 in performance but lighter; sort of like the Vespa compared to the Majesty. All three different. All great fun!

Uh, oh.......there is a FLY in the ointment.:wink:

[​IMG]

Now that is a story for another day...........:lurk
  10. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    CaptJim, toss all pretense of sanity to the gulls.
    Nothing like being in the Asylum, is there? :happay:jump:smile6

DaBears, don't worry. That guy Jerry something will drop a buzz kill turd soon enough.
    Lemmeknow if you get out of the Atlantas to this area.
  11. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice comparison especially since all the bikes are really different.

In my opinion with the exception of being able to go down the freeway (I would not take the 150 on the freeway either) the PCX is about the best all rounder I can think of and I own plenty of scooters including the PCX to compare with!

I really need to get a chance to ride the 150. I got the 125 and it seems plenty fast to do anything but freeway work. From what I have been told the 150 is only about 5 MPH faster in any condition over the 125. Not worth the change in my opinion.

What really amazes me about the PCX is its fuel economy. It seems to beat out even other Honda's of similar size. I average about 10 less MPG's with my Elite 110. One thing I notice about the PCX is it does not have much drag and once you reach your speed you can completely let off the throttle and it will coast a good amount. Most other scooters seem to keep the transmission engaged forcing excess engine breaking. This forces the user to stay on the throttle more with most scoots. Honda really got the PCX right!

I also have a Majesty 400. Its a pretty good all rounder as well and has good storage. A little hard on the back trying to put something a little heavy in the very back of the storage area. Handling is very good and its plenty fast for freeway work. Its only downfall is its a bit heavy and the larger engine sucks a lot more gas. At best I can squeeze 60 MPG with mine.

The Majesty can do city work as well and its not half bad at it. However a smaller scooter is easier to park and gets better fuel economy in such an environment.
  12. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Great write up. The Vespas and 400cc scoots really interest me.
  13. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    All nice. The PCX is to small for me. The Vespa is definitely the best looking to me, but it may also be to small. The Majesty would probably do just fine, but I don't like it's looks, and especially don't like the fact that it is not a real stepthrough. I might as well have a small motorcycle with a low seat. The Vespa GTS300 Super is a dream, but out of my reach, unless it could be had for MSRP, which isn't going to happen. I keep looking, and going back to the Kymco GTi300.
  14. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey driller,

thanks for the write up, i hate you now!! lol!!! no way, not really, you just made it more difficult to make up my mind. The yamaha is there in the point were is bigger than everything with 12 in tires but is not like 10K like a bman 650 and it still looks like a scooter. then again a friend is selling me a 200 gt and it would works just as well since I ride solo

Thanks man!

Damasovi
  15. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea to review three Scooters in one thread. LOL @ JerryH dropping another buzz kill turd.:rofl
  16. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
    Good write up Driller. Though I've only ridden one maxi, and not a Majesty, and never a small scoot, I intellectually came to the same conclusion about large frame (200-300) Vespas. Then I rode the Vespas and it was an easy decision.

Very much the Goldilocks effect.
  17. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Some friends came up from Georgia to ride with us for a couple of days. He has the new MotoGuzzi cruiser and she has a new BMW 650GT Maxi. I was all primed to get some serious time on the Vespa, but picked up a nasty machine screw in the rear tire. :baldy Rather than chance riding on a plug, the PCX got the call.
    We were determined to get in some Blue Ridge Parkway miles. Clocked over 360 miles over two days up and down the mountains including about 90 on the Parkway. What a sight...the 125 setting the pace for those two big bikes!:lol3
    The little Honda delivered two days of fun riding; pulling my carcass up many steep grades, zipping through countless twisties and contentedly purring along at parkway limits. My riding friends were happy with the pace maintained (or they were just being kind :rofl) and seemed to have a good time as well.:clap

I hope the new tire for the GT arrives soon. It was sad to be left behind...so was my wife.:sweeti
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Ah, Driller, your post has me drooling! I LOVE finding PCX content on this forum. And, the mental image you painted of the PCX leading the way for a Guzzi and the BMW scoot makes me smile. :D

Thanks!

Captain Jim

I'm smiling, I'm drooling... I'm smooling. ;)
  19. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Good one! I like that new word..."smooling". :tb
  20. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Driller, I quite enjoyed your comparo of three scooters I really knew nothing about. Once I had a Burgman (similar to the Yamaha, I suppose but I didn't really like its looks). I also didn't like the helmet buffeting from the poorly designed windshield (I had one of the first models). I sold it.

Earlier I had a Yamaha Vino 125. Probably similar to your PCX in performance? I'm not really sure about that. I live in a town smack dab in the middle of a mountain range and the poor Vino was just plain awful on the hills. I sold it. I'm sure the PCX is a superior machine.

Now I've got a SYM HD 200. Every time I get on it I can't stop grinning. It's a fine performer and capable of 65-70 cruising speeds. I suppose performance is similar to your Vespa but the SYM has 16" instead of 12" wheels. As a motorcyclist I've always been leery of smaller wheels but your Vespa ride review seems to have cured me of that concern.

When I got the SYM I had really been looking for a "gently used" Vespa 200cc but there simply weren't any available. I consider the Vespa the gold standard in motor scooters. Someday I'll have one. I'll just keep looking. (The one you've got is great. Love the colors).