JTH's HD 883 Dual Sport'ster conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimmyTheHog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorted :clap:clap

Now be able to see the beautiful bike the right way up.
  2. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jimmy,
    you always manage to go one step further when I think the bike's complete now.
    Kind regards, Bambi ... curious what's still to come ...
  3. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too :lol3, - every time I think its done, I think of something else. I guess that's what makes it fun. Next on the list are some racks for soft panniers, a plastic 6 gal fuel tank (same shape as the Aluminum), and a headlight rock screen.
  4. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:

Great! Thanks for the feedback.
  5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    As a long time HD owner and lover of evo sportys this is a very interesting thread. What if any are your thoughts about protecting the carb from being ripped off when dropping the bike? Having done just that on one of mine it was a show stopper at the time.

With respect to the exhaust have a look what Philth and the boys did with their DRs. These guys do mega miles to very remote places.

[​IMG]

It allows you to run full size bags.
    DR790 likes this.
  6. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looks like what I'm thinking of, but not quite that big of bags.

For the carb/air filter, I have a crash bar that sticks out further to protect them and the tank leading edge. I haven't crash tested it yet though to see how it works.

[​IMG]
    DR790 likes this.
  7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Cool. The other advantage is with the lower exhasut is pannier style fuel tanks but then again that may not be the issue in the US as it is here where riding to some places requires 50L+ of fuel.

Love that you are realising a dream. We all have different views on what an ADV bike is and its great you are building your version of it.

When will you start to sell components?
  8. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Jimmy I read all 53 pages of this thread today... WOW and thanks for the fun ! :clap
  9. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Best H-D conversion to something cool and different. EVER
  10. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I used to have these on a KLR 650 and really liked them for offroad dual sporting, so Im going to give them a try on the SC3.

They are Wolfman tank panniers and have 14 liters capacity combined. They keep the added weight more central to the bike's CG. Add a bag strapped to the back, and you can carry a good amount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Time for some new foot pegs. I've used Pivot Pegz on GS's before and liked them, so I'm giving them a try on the SC3 Adv. They pivot 20deg each direction which is nice for sitting vs standing. New mounting brackets required, so I've designed them and now ready to cut metal.

Here's a few cad images of the new mounting brackets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DR790 likes this.
  12. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Have I told you how much I hate you lately?
    In an admiring and drooling way...:clap
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Is there any way you can construct them so they mount off the frame not the front sprocket cover. Its inherently weak thru there as I know from personal experience :cry:cry:cry
  14. dhawker

dhawker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the weird welded spot in the middle of your gas tank? Your bike is fantastic by the way, but I would break into tears if I dropped it taking it where I take my Husky TE610. Unbelievable skills dude.
  15. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I haven't found a way to do it yet off the frame that I like. I've seen a few different methods like a bar bolted to the rear engine mounts and welding bars to the frame, but with the low exhaust, they get compete for the same space.

If I ever make my own frame though (yes, I'm considering it), that is what I would try to do.
  16. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The weld is for a tube thru the tank for mounting it to the frame backbone. A lot of the old tracker tanks do this. The tank is mainly supported by the frame backbone on rubber pads and then held on by the center bolt and two brackets on the front of the tank. Both bolt and brackets are rubber mounted too.

I know one day it will go down and that will be a sad day, but its a dual sport and meant to be ridden. I do have the crash bar to help protect it though.
    DickIndadirt likes this.
  17. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    JTH, have a nice tank bra made that is soft fleece or similar inside and heavy vinyl/leather/ballistic nylon or similar outside. Protect from scratches and polishes the tank while riding......won't stop real dents, but scuffs it will. Just for more serious dirt endeavors of course, you would not want to cover that art very often. That is like a tarp over the Mina Lisa or David {Dah-veed}.
  18. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I like it! Maybe also integrate a small tank bag and the panniers into the tank bra. I may take a crack at it and see how it comes out. So far Ive only found the panniers that work well with the tank and no luck on a small tank bag.
  19. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    I got your back buddy :wink:

Us custom builders gotta stick with each other...even me the hack and you the pro. :lol3
  20. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I missed it, but any idea when you might start selling "conversion kits"?

Thanks,
    jw