Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Dakar is all over the TV here. I have watched a bit of it, in Spanish of course. From what i understand some motorcycle guy, I can't quite catch his name is winning big time. I guess I'm relatively close but I haven't really checked to see. I met a Father and Son from Colorado who were on their way to see the race, back when I crossed into Ecuador from Colombia, they were riding new BMW 1200's the son owned a BMW shop. I have seen lots of people wearing Dakar clothes or at least clothing with the Dakar logo on it. Peru seems to be very proud that they have attracted this race, and rightly so.

When is the Moncton M/C show? Are you going to get me a deal on a new Super Tenere?

Kedgi
  2. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Those are a big bean, they are actually OK, they are not mealy tasting they are almost like a potato. I do not think I will ever eat rice again when I leave South America. I am so tired of rice.

Kedgi
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    i went to Houlihan's Irish Bar last night. I met Sebastian, the manager and maybe the owner. I meant to ask and forgot.

If you are in Lima, go to the western end of Kennedy Park, ( the end closest the Ocean) turn right and walk up that sidestreet three or four blocks. It's easy to find. Nice people, busy, lot of English spoken. Great bar!

I met some guys from Vancouver there and they introduced me to Matt. Matt is from the USA and from what I gather works in Oil and Gas down here and has a big mansion of a house. I happened to tell him I was hanging out in Lima waiting for my German friends to show up but my Hostal is full tonight and I needed a place to stay where I can park my Moto. He said to email him this morning he will get right back to me and he will set me up in his house. He has a double garage and only one car. Trusty the KLR can have her own garage. How cool is that?

Kedgi
  4. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    There are some overlanders from France staying at this Hostal. They are driving a Pinzgauer. Coolest truck ever made. Six wheel drive. I have wanted one of those trucks since I was in my 20's. First time I ever saw one, in the "flesh" so to speak. What an awesome rig.. I took pictures.

Stand by.....
  5. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Relieved to hear it. I"ve never seen a bean like that.
  6. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I met this nice young man my first night in Lima, Paulo, he is a lawyer from Portugal learning to be a lawyer here in Peru. Incredibly bright, great English. He told me he has a collection of 20 Vespa scooters. He has been collecting them since he was 16.

[​IMG]

I went for walk yesterday and passed through Kennedy Park, the main square in Miraflores and was stunned to see at least a dozen homeless cats living in the park. What a shame. They are surrounded by busy traffic on all sides and just stay in the park. I was glad to see the park workers have dishes of food and water out for them.

[​IMG]

Lima's shoreline drive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I met the Brazilian couple that owns this truck. He built the aluminium camper back him self and they have traveled to Alaska and are on their way home.

[​IMG]

A young couple from France showed up at the Hostal driving this Pinzgauer. Cool truck. He told me he bought it used for 17,500 Euros and they are spending a year in South America in it.

He got thousands in sponsorship from General Tire, Outback Imports etc, just because it is such a cool truck, they wanted their name on it. He said he had tried to get sponsorship, driving a Toyota and no one was interested but with the Pinzguaer the sponsors jumped at the chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sebastian from Houlihan's Irish bar. Great little bar, awesome guy! A real gentleman.

[​IMG]
  7. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Kedgi,

The Moncton Motorcycle Show is Feb 15-17 this year. I have got my eye on a Triumph 800XC as it will complement the WR250R nicely. So, you think you might like an S10 eh? Nice bike. Keep on trucking my man- I look forward to your updates. BTW, it is expected to be -38C here tommorrow with the windchill :yikes

Enjoy those warm temps down there!
  8. Scottishman

Scottishman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there. Love your RR. When I get to SA next year, I am definitely going to check out Houlihans. Looks like a great bar.

Good luck with your eating. You have a real knack for meeting people. Sounds like it has been a blast for the most part.

Rubber side down!

Cheers
  9. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Rory

I'm curious. did I meet you earlier this year? Are you the firefighter, or Ambulance tech (sorry I can't remember the details) who had a 250 on a trailer at Tim Hortons in Petitcodiac? I think I was driving my blue BMW Z4 when I spoke to you? As I remember the young man I met was from Sackville.

That Triumph sounds nice. I have a friend, Mike, who is also reading this report, he has a Triumph he loves. He and I and a couple other guys from the Moncton area were in Key West together early last Spring with our bikes. I have a ride report here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780191

Dwight
  10. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll give you another tip. Make a reservation for the Hitchhikers Backpacker Hostal in Lima. It has wonderful parking for your Moto and is an extremely nice Hostal. What a great place to rest. I had a few beers at Houlihan's last night, came back and talked to the French and Brazialian couples and went to bed about 11. I just got up at 8am. I never sleep that late. I feel very well rested today.

There are several Hostals in Lima who use the word Backpackers in their name. You want the Hitchikers Backpackers hostal at Calle Bolegnesi 400. (400 Bolegnesi Street) It is actually right in my Garmin GPS when you search for accomodations and was very easy to find

I saw Sebastian again last night at Houlihans, what a nice guy, he introduced me to more of his friends and i was immediately adopted by them. I really was made to feel at home by him and his staff. I found out he is the owner. I met his girlfriend and her friends and just generally had a very fun, relaxing evening. Sometimes when you travel by yourself the nights can be so long and boring. Definately not the case here. Just the break from riding in the desert I needed.

Dwight
  11. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I have met so many nice people on this trip It's hard to believe. I always just stick my hand out and say my name's Dwight, or Mi Nombre es Dwight. It works wonders! I miss having Angele (or as we all call her Miss Angele) with me. She has an almost magical gift for meeting people or making everyone feel great about themselves and livening up a room. I am just half of what she is when it comes to meeting people. Angele is unforgettable. Ask anyone who's met her.

i suggest you get yourself in a Spanish class right away. You will thank me for it. The Americans have an advantage over us Canadians, They took Spanish in school. I know nothing, only what I've been able to learn since I crossed the Mexican border. It's been a crash course but I love speaking Spanish as best I can.

I am so envious of so many travelers down here. Many speak four and five languages. Absolutely amazing.

Kedgi
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    That Moncton bike show is amazing, for a small city. It is a show that rivals any bike show I've been to in Toronto or Vancouver.

I like that new Yamaha Super Tenere. It would be excellent in Colombia where you have to pass so many trucks in the mountains. The poor old KLR starts to breathe hard over about 9000 feet. (Me too) but with fuel injection that would not be a problem. I had a very close one in Colombia. I mean close! about an inch on either side of my saddle bags as i rode between two opposite direction tractor trailers.:eek1

I was a while figuring out what went wrong. I think I was so high, somewhere between Medellin and Honda that the bike was not making the power I'm used to. When I pulled out to pass i thought I had a ton of room. Not so. Frack! It was way too close!

I told my Brazilian friend it's going down to a minus 38 windchill at home. He stated the obvious. "It's a good thing we're in Lima"

Lima has outstanding weather. It never rains because it's in the desert. It has no bugs. No glass needed in the windows. The houses have no heat or air conditioning because the weather is always perfect..

I've noticed the days are getting longer since I've crossed the equator. It doesn't get dark here til about 7:30 where as in Quito it was dark shortly after 6. That can only get better as I head south. The plan is to ride toward Nazca tomorrow. I'm thinking Lima's Saturday morning traffic won't be so brutal.

Lima's one big drawback is the traffic. Absolutely insane. Ten times as bad as Chicago or Seattle, Absolute madness. if you were retired here though, you wouldn't need a car. You could live in Miraflores and never have to leave the area and walk to anything you need, much like Angele and I did for many years in Vancouver's West End. Take public transport if you need it. It works here.
  13. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Since I am going to miss the Moncton bike show. I have an idea. Everyone reading this, that's going to the show, should make a point of going to the Yamaha display and telling the Yamaha dealer about my ride report and how it would be a good idea for them to sell me a Super Tenere really, really cheap to advertise the bike's long distance travel capabilities. Imagine if 40 or 50 people all did that. Cool!
  14. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Some pictures from Lima today

My French friends, Aurilillio (sp) and Linda in their Pinzguaer

[​IMG]

My Brazilian friends Mauro and Marina with their Toyota

[​IMG]

These two couples are amazing, speaking Portuguese, Spanish, French, English and probably more...wow! I'm jealous

I went to La Mora cafe for breakfast. It is one block from the hostal and is it ever nice. Great sandwiches for lunch and a very good breakfast at a very reasonable price. They soothing music at a low volume, I remember hearing "Honesty" and Who's gonna drive you home" among a bunch of other great tunes this morning. The atmosphere is very sophisticated and upscale but the prices are very reasonable. I really enjoyed myself there and had the best coffee I have had since leaving Colombia. I even read or at least looked at Lima's morning Paper. What a wonderful break from riding in the desert. I love Lima.

This wonderful breakfast cost me 16 soles or about $6.40

[​IMG]

Here is La Mora, It is outstanding. When an Egg McMuffin and a coffee costs you 5 bucks at home. La Mora is tough to beat.

[​IMG]

This little guy spends a lot of time at the hostal picking up crumbs that fall from the courtyard tables. He or she is just like the doves we have in our yard at home, except this one has beautiful eye shadow.

[​IMG]
  15. Smithee

Smithee Head Bottle Washer

Oddometer:
    YIKES!!! Did he happen to mention what kind of mileage he gets with that thing?

Is it diesel or gas?
  16. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Dwight,

Nope, we have not met yet. We will have to take care of that when you get back. Plus, the WR never sees a trailer so I know that was not me. I used to hang with some Air Traffic Controllers though. We probably have some mutual acquaintances.

Rory

17. love/hate it

love/hate it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before committing to a new ST, you're more than welcome to take mine out for a day or two. Consider it as repayment for what I have learned from your RR. Just don't try to sneak off to Africa with it though. Still following and still enjoying. Cheers.
    Steve
  18. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Glad to hear you have bad taste in friends.

Dwight
  19. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    It's gas 20 Liters/100kms

Not a problem in Ecuador or Venezuela where they are giving gasoline away, but you need deep pockets here in Peru.
  20. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I went to Houlihans tonight. I am reluctant to tell this story (my wife reads this blog) but I watched the under 20 soccer game. Peru beat Brazil 2-0 very exciting!

I had two gorgeous Peruvian women try to get me to buy them beer. Little did they know I have a gorgeous French Canadian wife at home. They, the Peruvian girls, talked away to me and I had no idea what they were saying.. Nice to listen to but not a fucking clue what they were saying.

It was amazing, to have the Houlihans clientele come to my rescue and warn me that these ladies were only interested in my money...NO SHIT!

Fun but an eye opener. You can get robbed so many ways in Latin America

I'm home, those girls are probably still looking for another Gringo.

Kedgi